Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the F***????

Options
  • 18-10-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I was just on the "Phychics and Mediums" forum, can someone please explain what the f*** is goin on in there? I dont usualy find myself in these kinda forums but I was curious so had a quick snoop around, I am absolutely stunned to discover that in the year 2010 there are still people (quite possibly adults?) who actualy still believe in crystal balls and tarot cards and palm reading and people who can see into the future, people who can communicate with the dead??? What kind of madness has taken the minds of these people? Ghosts and ghools, messages from the dead??? I'm very confused by all this, I'm assuming that I'm in good company in the Skeptics Corner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Evenflow1 wrote: »
    I was just on the "Phychics and Mediums" forum, can someone please explain what the f*** is goin on in there? I dont usualy find myself in these kinda forums but I was curious so had a quick snoop around, I am absolutely stunned to discover that in the year 2010 there are still people (quite possibly adults?) who actualy still believe in crystal balls and tarot cards and palm reading and people who can see into the future, people who can communicate with the dead??? What kind of madness has taken the minds of these people? Ghosts and ghools, messages from the dead??? I'm very confused by all this, I'm assuming that I'm in good company in the Skeptics Corner?
    Now my boy, This is whats called a Forum, which is on this big informative thing called the Internet. Forums are places where people go to express they're opinions on things and ask questions.
    There has been many a thread on the skepticism of tarot cards and crystal balls etc... No need for another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dont get started on those idiots who believe in God! How dare they have non scientific faiths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Evenflow1

Now my girl, you don't need to explain the workings of a Forum to me, I get the general idea, what does need explaining however is how there are people out there makin a healthy living by pretending to talk to dead people and there are others who actualy believe it! lol absolutely amazing to me, I might break out the crystal ball myself and start rippin off the neighbours, after all I'm as 'phychic' as any of those other tools out there that are gettin away with it, I totaly disagree with you anyway, I think there's every need for another thread like this, the more people that speak out against this farce the better! isnt this the 'Skeptics Corner' anyway? What else would I be talkin bout in here? In your own words im just 'expressing my opinion' anyway ain't I? but you knew I was gonna say all that anyway didn't you ? any tips for the lotto? lol..............
    Iron Hide wrote: »
    Now my boy, This is whats called a Forum, which is on this big informative thing called the Internet. Forums are places where people go to express they're opinions on things and ask questions.
    There has been many a thread on the skepticism of tarot cards and crystal balls etc... No need for another.

Grimes wrote: »
    Dont get started on those idiots who believe in God! How dare they have non scientific faiths!

Its not their fault, most of them aren't idiots, just brainwashed, people who believe in crystal balls really are idiots! its ironic though, I know some people who believe in God and yet they also laugh at people who get their cards read?! (I get the sarcasm in your post so no need to point it out)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

what does need explaining however is how there are people out there makin a healthy living by pretending to talk to dead people

These are called con artists. Those who pay for it are called idiots.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oooh. Loving the prejudice and sweeping statements here. Like saying all priests are paedophiles.

Anyhoo, welcome Evenflow1. Yes of course people believe this stuff. Look around, people also believe in conspiracy theories, mustard as the stuff of legend, sunshine and lollipops and the joy of facial hair. Its boards, all human life is here. Please read the charter so you know how not to offend those who hold views which differ from yours.

This is the skeptics corner.

This is the skeptics corner.
    And the charter still applies.

Oryx wrote: »
    Oooh. Loving the prejudice and sweeping statements here. Like saying all priests are paedophiles.

Anyhoo, welcome Evenflow1. Yes of course people believe this stuff. Look around, people also believe in conspiracy theories, mustard as the stuff of legend, sunshine and lollipops and the joy of facial hair. Its boards, all human life is here. Please read the charter so you know how not to offend those who hold views which differ from yours.

I'm glad you said all 'Human' life is here! lol, I'm not trying to offend anyone I'm just baffled by peoples willingness to believe this stuff when its painfully obvious to most logical, reasonable people that its very very very unlikely that any of it is true and not one single person can offer as much as a shred of evidence that what they say they can do, they can actualy do? absolutely amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Why dont you ask the people who go to mediums rather than the mediums themselves?

• Advertisement

Good point Grimes but that would be seen as trying to shake the faith of the believers and I'm sure as eggs is eggs that contravenes some forum charter.

Major Lovechild if ya have a problem with the charter take it up with the mods or post on the feedback thread, ok?

If I had a problem I would. I don't.
    I am however pointing out a fact.

Please remain calm.

I had the safety on, dont worry ;)

On the subject of asking the recipients, there is a whole forum of feedback, some good, some bad. For me, it doesnt really help at all, because I think any experience or proof has to be first hand, or you really cant be convinced either way. Ive always said boards cant facilitate the proof needed because it can only ever be discussed here, not shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

what oryx said.

Fair dues to the OP though because at least it livens the place up a bit.

Grimes wrote: »
    Why dont you ask the people who go to mediums rather than the mediums themselves?

I frequently question people who go to mediums, my girlfriend included, Shes gone to a few over the years too but If you're like me and don't believe in an afterlife, you've got to question people like mediums, lets not forget that they are the ones making claim that they can communicate with the dead, does nobody else on here understand the absolute magnitude of that claim??? If I claimed to be able to walk through walls, people would think I was absolutely bonkers yet people can claim to be able to communicate with the dead and everyone thinks thats OK?? WHAT??

Everyone thinks its ok? Havent you seen the amount of joking, ptaking, incomprehension, cynicism and spite that this provokes? Its not ok by the majority of people. The catholic church thinks psychics and mediums talk to satan. It has hit the mainstream lately thru tv etc, and I think thats because people are crying out for something to replace organised religion, which, by and large, is lost to most.

Yes, you need to question it or it will become watered down or cultish or commercial. But dont dismiss it out of hand without at least trying to understand why people believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

But dont dismiss it out of hand without at least trying to understand why people believe in it.

Some people believe a pair of trainers can give them a good ass.
    http://www.reebok.com/IE/womens/easytone-shoes

Nobody is obliged to try and 'understand' why they believe it.
    It is perfectly to acceptable to dismiss a moronic belief.
    Sometimes being dumb just need to be called. Period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

Zamboni wrote: »

I clicked on that link and I'm a believer.

You can dismiss people's moronic beliefs without denigrating them though, particularly the ones who are being fooled by others.

Zamboni wrote: »

What, you mean my Reeboks wont undo the damage of Chinese food and beer if I just walk around in them? Damn, I want my money back.
    Sure, its ok to put across a different opinion, or to point out where you think someone is wrong. It does happen lots here. The key thing is the way you do it. If you want to change how people think, then you explain how your view differs from theirs. You say why you think they are wrong. You dont just call them a fool and move on. I think smoking is moronic, but walking up to a smoking area and calling them all twits sure wont make them give up. If you think someone believes in something inaccurate, point them to an accurate source of info. Because personal experience drives a lot of the beliefs you see here and is a powerful thing. If you want people to think critically, then demonstrate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

OP being skeptical and labeling people who believe in things that you don't as mad are not mutually inclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

If you want to change how people think, then you explain how your view differs from theirs. You say why you think they are wrong. You dont just call them a fool and move on. I think smoking is moronic, but walking up to a smoking area and calling them all twits sure wont make them give up. If you think someone believes in something inaccurate, point them to an accurate source of info. Because personal experience drives a lot of the beliefs you see here and is a powerful thing. If you want people to think critically, then demonstrate it.

I think the issue there is the same as with the devoutly religious. People believe mostly not because the evidence is there, but because they WANT to believe.

Believing fills some void, gives some comfort, gives hope, something, and they don't want to give it up without a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Have to agree that they are only out to con people out of their money.
    These people pray on the emotions of those that pay to see them.

Google the John Edward Southpark episode. It is the fewking business.

PS. I still believe in Santa Claus.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Giselle wrote: »
    I think the issue there is the same as with the devoutly religious. People believe mostly not because the evidence is there, but because they WANT to believe.

Believing fills some void, gives some comfort, gives hope, something, and they don't want to give it up without a fight.

i like how you conveniently leave out the people who reckon they actually have had a paranormal experience. Then again, your theory wouldnt cover them, so I suppose its wise you did.

Advertisement