Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym recommendation

Options
  • 18-10-2010 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭

Hi I am thinkin of joining a gym for the winter and wondered if any of you are current members and could give me a bit of advice as the best one in the local area. As regards location i am in the general area of west mayo so Castlebar, Westport and Ballinrobe are easy enough to get too. Firstly a good large swimming pool with good changing facilites incl private one if available. Rates for the year or per session. Are the inhouse staff good/helpful and does the gym run fitness programes etc(nothing too stressful). Is there additional fees to join these programes. Finally just a overall opinion would be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I WAS in Breaffy and it is nice. Gym is never that busy so never have to wait for machines. Most classes are free but they aren't great. The staff are very friendly and they do up a programme for you based on your needs. I didn't renew my membership though as it is just too expensive- approx 400 for the year. I find they are really shady with the price- it varies based on who you speak to on the phone. And last year I paid 365 which was a special offer but effectively it meant that it would have gone up in price. I had been a member for 3 years and the price has never changed, and given that most people's salary has decreased significantly if they are still lucky enough to have a job I think that this is a bit rich. There is a real need for a cheaper alternative I think- you'd get membership for half that in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sanches56

I think with regard to castlebar that the Kingfisher in Breaffy is the only gym worth considering. The pool is great as is the gym. The classes are good but i do not have a great knowledge of them. The staff are always nice and friendly but i do agree with the previous comment that the price can vary but the thing to do is haggle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I heard Hotel Westport or some gym in town was offering 6 months membership for 60 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I heard Hotel Westport or some gym in town was offering 6 months membership for 60 euro.

Anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Anyone confirm this?

I wouldn't bet on it being true. But i was asking is there anywhere around westport a bit cheaper and that's what i heard, cause the leisure center (although it's a great gym, and you get the circuits and spinning and stuff half price) Is pretty dear and i'm a student.

So i was just thinking about joining one of the little hotel gyms whilst i couldn't really afford 300 euro for another year, this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭claireycork

I was in Castle leisure club in Castlebar, next to Mayo Movie World. The staff were so friendly and offered excellent advice!! I got a nice feeling from the place plus they have a pool and Sauna..!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Anyone confirm this?

I called them and unfortunately it's not. Think it's around 400 a year and half that for half the year. you can pay by the session which is good though. They were really nice on the phone and offered free passes to get a feel of the place. Most places will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bluecourse1

Castle leisure club buddy, was there during the summer excellent staff and great facilities. Ask them about any offers they have at the moment!!

Advertisement