Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pedal fell off

• 18-10-2010 5:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

As above. My pedal fell off bike there earlier. Bought bike off halfords less than 2months ago and nothing but probs since. Gears jumping, loose pedals and now the foot pedal has snapped off. All the fittings for it lost in transit. Where do i stand for a start with halfords and if i have to get a new pedal are the fittings etc with it.right pedal i need.
    thannks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭carthoris

If you were not abusing the bike you should be able to go back to them and get either a repair for free or refund:

http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Abusing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

After a month or so of use, most bike shops will give you a free tune up service as the cables slacken and your gears start to skip. Its very normal that this happens. They also would have tightened your pedal. When you noticed the pedal getting loose did you try to fix it? Its not very hard to do.

It might be no harm to buy a few tools to cover the most basic maintenance.

Yeah i bought a crank spanner and tightened it myself. Today its the foot pedal that came off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

greenman09 wrote: »
    loose pedals and now the foot pedal has snapped come off.

Fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Yeah i bought a crank spanner and tightened it myself. Today its the foot pedal that came off.

Is it a plastic pedal? whats the bike by the way?

Abusing?

Yes, abusing. Misusing it.

You shouldn't have to tighten the pedals that soon.

You differentiate between pedals and foot pedal - what is a foot pedal ?

The plastic thing where ye rest ur foot. When i say pedal i mean the whole arm if thats what its called. Thing just snapped tonight so i think its a whole new pedal i need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Where is Kona when you need him:rolleyes:

What make and model is the bike?
    Just so we are all clear have a peek at the pic below, what came off, the pedal alone or the pedal and crank?

034%20Crank%20gear.jpg

Did it break or come undone and fall off?

The term 'abusing' could be used for instance if you bought an inexpensive bike and used it off road, ie using the bike in a fashion it wasn't designed to be used.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. It was the crank arm on one side i had to tighten myself. And tonight it was the pedal that came off. Looks like it snapped off. Its the far pedal on ur illustration. Make is a reebok voyager. One of the halford road bikes they had on sales in the summer. Bike was used for less than 3km each way rathfarnham to dundrum so was on road. Cant be wear and tear not with limited use and short distances
    cheers for the help here. Alot more clearer. The pedal is prob simple enough to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

OP
    Best of luck with that. But FWIW read this first.

I'm just telling it as I saw it.
    I was 4th in a queue at the Halfords bike counter Blanch today.
    1st up was a man complaining about the poor quality of almost every part of the bike he had recently bought there, with lots of bits falling off it etc.
    A very unhappy bunny.

2nd was a man who wanted to leave his daughters kiddie bike in for repair of what looked like a loose brake cable. The attendant refused to take the bike because it had not been booked in claiming that he had no room for it. The attendant asked the mechanic for an appointment. The mechanic muttered something which nobody heard as he walked away resulting in the attendant asking the customer to ring back tomorrow for an appt. He didn't look like he was goning to call back.

3 was a man with a bike still under warranty with a loose pedal and crank arm. Attendant seems to have sucessfully convinced the customer that the warranty did not cover moving parts and only the frame was covered.
    He did say that he would tighten the pedal for the minimum charge of 10Euro and tighten the crank arm also for 40 Euro.

Make of that what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Thanks for that. It was the crank arm on one side i had to tighten myself....
    ... The pedal is prob simple enough to fix.

Seems like that bike needs a complete check over for loose bits too.
    Thats the right hand side pedal which is turned clockwise to put on.
    Tighten the left one also while you are at it by turning it anticlockwise.
    The crank arm bolt needs to be tightened to a specific tension usually a force of about 38NMs. If you don't have the special tool for this a very firm twist with a 40cm lever extention should do it until you get it seen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bring it back to the ****ing shop instead of moaning about it on boards.ie :rolleyes:

Here is where you stand, you would have felt the pedal wobble as it comes off (yes yes you will, Ive had it happen before),

like a car thats steering wheel is wobbling you stop and bring it to a garage before the wheel falls off.
    Now, without pictures of the damage , youl only get guesses here, If your lucky you may just be able to thread it back in. If your a lil unlucky the crank need to be rethreaded if your just really unlucky new pedal and crank will be needed.

Now, onto what you want to hear, will you have to pay to get this work done?

Honestley its up to the shop, If the mechanic is anyways experienced DONT use the line, "it just fell off" FWIW nothing just "falls off".
    Be honest, Dont go on a mad one quoting what you interperet as consumer law. Halfords offer warranty and they set it out, Id suggest you read it.

Personally Id do it FOC because some ****wit built the bike and didnt tighten it up. Then again Im not Halfords.

Sorry for the tone of the post Im ****ing sick of Threads here asking what you should do if something goes wrong, its pretty simple nobody on boards.ie is going to fix it. So dont take it personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If you hit the pedal hard off anything, it's possible that you deformed the crank, which might explain why the crank fell off. The pedal shouldn't fall off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AngrySheep

Hi all, I bought a bike from Halfords and collected it today, and when cycling home (I wasn't even five minutes) one of the pedals fell off the crank. The thread on the crank doesn't look too good, Anything I can do to fix it or will I just bring it back? I spent an hour trying to get the pedal back on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Take it back to the shop, tell them you are thinking of taking them to court for reckless endangerment, (what would have happened if it fell off while a bus was behind you??)
    And....
    A. If you want to keep the bike insist that they check each and every bolt and nut on the entire bike there and then in front of you.
    B. If you are done with them and the bike tell them that the bike is not fit for purpose, get your money back and buy a proper bike from a proper local bike shop witha proper bike mechanic.
    Option B is what I would choose but hey, that's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Make a scene too, see if they'll throw in something to show goodwill.

Don't let it be free servicing... :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

consumer law stipulates that if a good fails to perform the function for which it was purchased, within , the retailer can offer repair, refund or replacement - i think at *your* discretion.
    people better qualified as mechanics can confirm what other parts are affected, but a lot of bikes would come without pedals attached, so this would usually be a shop rather than a factory fit.
    your experience might indicate very lazy shop fit.

however, i'd recommend against trying to fix it yourself - a, you shouldn't have to, and b, if you do any damage, halfords could use it to claim that you've invalidated the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

AngrySheep wrote: »
    Hi all, I bought a bike from Halfords and collected it today, and when cycling home (I wasn't even five minutes) one of the pedals fell off the crank. The thread on the crank doesn't look too good, Anything I can do to fix it or will I just bring it back? I spent an hour trying to get the pedal back on.

To be honest I would bring it back insist on full refund and buy a bike in a reputable bike shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

consumer law stipulates that if a good fails to perform the function for which it was purchased, within , the retailer can offer repair, refund or replacement - i think at *your* discretion.

Actually it is at *their* discretion - they have the option to repair, replace or refund. Also applies if the goods are not "of merchantable quality" in other words up to the normal standard you would expect for a new (presumably cheap) bike in this case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

from the european consumer commission website:
    Under the Sale of Goods and Associated Guarantees Directive 99/44/EC if the goods become faulty or do not conform to the contract consumers can request:
    A repair or replacement, which should be provided free of charge, within a reasonable time and without any significant inconvenience
    http://www.eccireland.ie/popular-consumer-topics/buying-goods-and-services/

in the above circumstance, if a good fails within several minutes of purchase, i would demand a full refund or replacement. repair would not enter into it.

Advertisement