Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP!!!!!

• 18-10-2010 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭

my dell inspiron 1525 (vista) wont start up. When i turn it onn all i get is a black screen with _ flashing in the top left hand corner.

How do I fix this???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

When you power up the machine, do you see any screen that has "Dell" on it?

Try booting up the machine again and tapping the F8 key. Does that bring you to a screen enabling you to boot in to Safe Mode? (Should be a list of options).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

yes it flashes up but when i tap f8 nothing happens

just ran diagnostics and hard drive failed

should i try boot it using the vista cd??

tried booting using cd and this came up:
    Press any key to boot from CD or DVD....._
    so I press a key and nothing happens???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

No point if the hard drive is failing. If you're comfortable doing so you could take the hard drive out and hook it up as a slave to another pc (or external usb) to get any data from it that you'd need.

If the machine is still under warranty give Dell a shout.
    This applies to the following:

* Dimension
    * Inspiron
    * Studio
    * Monitors
    * TVs
    * Printers
    * Accessories

Call:
    1850 543543 8am - 8pm Monday - Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Yah, see if you can salvage anything off the HD, I'd say download a linux LiveCD and try to mount the HD inside it if it's not b0rked, then you can backup stuff to an external drive.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Fresz19

I had that problem at work and all we did it was send it back to DELL cause is just wast of time sitting at and trying to reslove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

HDD failures seem to be overly common on the last generation of Inspirons. As the others said you can try an external USB enclosure and connect it to a PC to try recover data. After that you should contact Dell, they should send you out a new one quite quickly for you to install. Its handy enough, they dont ask you for the laptop back or anything. :)

Advertisement