Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 cartridges

Options
  • 18-10-2010 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

so i got my licence for my shotgun in the post today. 4 months after the application, anyway i looked at the back of the licence and it said 25 cartridges. as most people would do i went to the local garda station and they told me that was all i applied for.(not true, i put down 100) is there anything i can do?????? :confused:

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

so i got my licence for my shotgun in the post today. 4 months after the application, anyway i looked at the back of the licence and it said 25 cartridges. as most people would do i went to the local garda station and they told me that was all i applied for.(not true, i put down 100) is there anything i can do?????? :confused:

thanks

Go back, say you want the form ammended and follow that rout, being quite polite of course ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't suppose you kept a copy of the FCA1 you submitted?

If you didn't it doesn't really matter. A few things. Firstly go back to your FO. Quote the commissioners guidelines that they love so much. Has no standing in law, but is a guideline for the "practical application of the Act" that local Gardai should use and people can reference for general Q&A. In it is states a "recommended" amount for each category of shooter:
    1. Farmer ( one shotgun for vermin/pest control) - 100 rounds.
    2. Deer Gun - 200 to 260 rounds.
    3. Shotgun for clay pigeon, pheasant/pigeon/woodcock - 500 to 750 rounds.
    4. Target Shooter (member of authorised club) - 750 to 1,000 rounds.
    You can ask them to find your original FCA1 as it must be on file somewhere either in the local station, district station, or Dublin. Get them to check it. If they say they cannot find it, thats crap. Either way you can insist (politely) for the FCA1 to verify your claim of the 100 rounds applied for. If and when they produce the FCA1 you can point ot the 100 rounds applied for. If they will amend it without the FCA1 being used so much the better. Normally i would recommend using an FCA2 to amend the license, but there is no section to amend ammo amount on the FCA2.

Main points are:
    • Go to your FO (firearms Officer)
    • Explain the problem again and use the commisioners guidelines as reference
    • Ask for original FCA1
    • Check the amount on it
    • If it is what you say ask for a new license with the proper amount of ammo on it
    • Be polite at all times
    • Do not demand, ask
    Remember you get further with honey and all that.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 buck hunter

thanks there, i will let ye know what happens. 500 would be a more appropriate amount.... 25 just shows what they know themselves...

ezridax wrote: »
    I don't suppose you kept a copy of the FCA1 you submitted?

If you didn't it doesn't really matter. A few things. Firstly go back to your FO. Quote the commissioners guidelines that they love so much. Has no standing in law, but is a guideline for the "practical application of the Act" that local Gardai should use and people can reference for general Q&A. In it is states a "recommended" amount for each category of shooter:

Remember you get further with honey and all that.

Please Sir, May I have some more?
    oliver_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Please Sir, May I have some more?
    oliver_2.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I would bet it was a typo as there have bin many cases of it. In my case I applied for 100 and got 250.
    I would bet you got ok'd for 250 but the jackass that sent back your licence made a pigs ear out of it and only put in 25 by accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 buck hunter

Rang the garda station, told me all i applied for was 25 and there is nothing i can do. he did say i could fill out another fca1 form and put in a note about the ammo. he also said it would not cost another 80 euro... i wonder???????? would making an appointment to meet the super be a good idea?

Rang the garda station, told me all i applied for was 25 and there is nothing i can do. he did say i could fill out another fca1 form and put in a note about the ammo. he also said it would not cost another 80 euro... i wonder???????? would making an appointment to meet the super be a good idea?

I'd look to see the super, the Garda is incorrect in his advice.
    You do not need to spend another €80, it's an amendment, not a new application.
    You have the same firearm, the permit needs to be amended to state higher amount of ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭selwyn

Yeah an Ammendment costs nothing. Go for it asap

Advertisement