Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling in Dublin at night?

• 18-10-2010 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So, I live in Dublin now (near Dundrum). Obviously cycling at night isn't the same as during the day, but can anyone suggest some somewhat enjoyable routes around Dublin at night? Obviously the less traffic and traffic lights, the better. Would have the time to do about 40km maybe.

Note that I'm looking for route suggestions, and not a lecture on the dangers of night time cycling ;) ...

Any genuine suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,
    Cormac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭get on your bike

head straight out to dalkey, cant go wrong as all the roads are lit with some decent hills around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

If your lights are decent and you like hills, this is a pretty 'standard' short loop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

i dont really cycle at night but i did a couple of early morning spins last year, im around the same area and this is a good spin

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/197440

if you leave out the very bottom part (into enniskerry) and just do the loop above that. I sometimes do 2 or 3 laps of the loop part (enniskerry-kilternan and back down to enniskerry). theres a great little hill on the backroad part if you want to do a few hilly intervals. a nice steady 6 - 8% with a small steep section in the middle.

if you've got the right lights tho you should be able cycle on any road. back lights are nearly more important than front i think. i've seen some fellas with 2 or 3 lights on the back and i think thats a good idea, you need a bit of extra weight on the bike for winter training anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try 'em out!

My lights are pretty good, but I still find myself having to be too careful in places with no/little lighting...

Advertisement