Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISP

Options
  • 18-10-2010 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

This is a long shot but worth enquiring about.

I live in the midlands where broadband isn't readily available for everyone so we've had to get satellite broadband installed at home. We've been paying a crazy price for a connection that's just about better than dial-up.
    I know that satellite broadband is unreliable so for 3 years I've just had to grin and bear it. We're paying for 3mb connection yet speed tests have never given me a result of over 1mb.

When it's been so slow that it's unusable, I emailed the company in question asking if they'd take a look at our setup, maybe there was something wrong. They said that it was because we had been reaching our download limit and provided me with a link to keep an eye on how much bandwidth I've been using. I monitored it and kept it well below the limit, yet, still a slow connection.

The worst part came when I was at my neighbour's house who has the exact same connection and subscription, I found out that his connection is flying! Speed tests always result in 2.5 - 3.0mb, I've had to go to his house to use the internet despite paying for the same service at our house.

I've sent them one last email with screen captures of the speed test from both my own and my neighbour's house saying that it just wasn't on.

BTW anyone here from the midlands who've had to suffer the wrath of satellite broadband have probably figured out who I'm talking about, these guys have a reputation and their incompetence knows no bounds!

So yeah, for 4 years we've been paying a stupid price for a crap service of which we've received less than half of. Are there any legal proceedings that can be done through small claims court to receive compensation from these guys? I've asked one last time to send a technician around to sort it out, I'm waiting on a reply. If I don't get one, I'll call them. Thing is, they have the monopoly, there is no other company we can go to, if they cut us off (and I've heard of them cut people off for complaining too much) we're completely screwed.

Any advice?

Advertisement