Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Automatically playing a MKV file

• 18-10-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a few .mkv files (films) however when I double click it to play it comes up Windows Cannot Open This File. To open this file Windows Needs to Know what program created ........blah blah blah.

So then it gives the option

1. Use the web service to find the appropriate program
    2. Select the program from the list

So I click Select the program from the list and the recommended program in the list has two options Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic.

I usually select Media Player Classic.

But what I want to know is can I just double click the .mkv file and it will automatically open up and play in Media Player Classic?

I know I can right click the file and have the choice of playing it with WMP or MPC.

Thanks - sorry for the long winded post.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

At the bottom of that box where you select Media Player Classic, there should be a checkbox with something along the lines of "do this for all files of this type". Check it, that'll become the default program to open .mkv files in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Right click file -> Open With -> Choose Default Program
    Check the box at the bottom that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
    Select Media Player Classic and OK it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Right click on the file select properties.

On the General tab there's an option to change the default program to open it. Click Change and browse to your Media Player Classic program. Click ok and ok again to close the properties and that's it.

Also I'd recommend VLC.....But hey, that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Thanks all for the replies, it's working now!!
    snappieT wrote: »
    At the bottom of that box where you select Media Player Classic, there should be a checkbox with something along the lines of "do this for all files of this type". Check it, that'll become the default program to open .mkv files in the future.
    whiteman19 wrote: »
    Right click file -> Open With -> Choose Default Program
    Check the box at the bottom that says "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file"
    Select Media Player Classic and OK it
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Right click on the file select properties.

On the General tab there's an option to change the default program to open it. Click Change and browse to your Media Player Classic program. Click ok and ok again to close the properties and that's it.

Also I'd recommend VLC.....But hey, that's just me.

Advertisement