Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman consistently delivering post to wrong houses

Options
  • 18-10-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice.

Live on a small country road. Our postman is consistently delivering post to the wrong homes - what happens is we'll get one letter of our own along with three for the neighbours. The lad down the road will get one of his and two of ours etc. This is happening so often to the extent that it looks like the postman is too lazy to do his job properly (he's been on the round for a while and has a full list of names etc). We got post today belonging to a neighbour which my neighbour told me was a bank statement (was marked confidential) - a very unsatisfactory situation.

My wife rang the local post office to complain but they said all complaints should go through the central delivery office.. Going to try calling in the morning but just wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Not at home during the day to meet the postman myself in person.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Well you are not alone.

We live in an estate with 4 roads almost the same names but slightly different and in Square and Drive, not easy to get them misxedup really. But we are always getting post for other roads, ourt post goes to them, and sometimes never receiving mail. I subscribe to a magazine and have not received since June. This has been happening since the time we moved in 3 years ago.

I emailed the Customer Service about 3 weeks ago, and made a complaint. Explained everything in a detailed email, and got a response in less than a day, good going, or so I thought!! The person I emailed said that my complaint was passed to an inspector who would be going to see the postman about the complaint. In turn, the postman said it was "an error" and that was that. Still haven't received my magazine, and it was posted 18 days ago.

I mean in all fairness, I know people makes mistakes, and thats fine, no one is prefect, and wouldn't expect people to never make a mistake, hence we have erasers on pencils :D

But whats pissed me off was that after 3 weeks and 30 emails to a 3rd party, I decided to ask for my reference number in case of future complaints, and I was told to make a formal complaint!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I was asked to complete a form for damaged or delayed mail, which realistically has no relevance to my complaint!!

I thought I had made a formal complaint, as the cutomer service responded and an inspector was sent out to the delivery office, wouldn't you think it was a formal complaint?!

My advice is to document everything regarding the mail, dates and days that you received other people etc. And make sure that you ask them to make a formal complaint, or like me, you will have to do it numerous times.

Call the customer service department, 1850575859, and make sure you tell them you want to make a formal complaint, or you'll be running rings around yourself!!

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Between this and magazines, packages etc getting forcefed through the box (including breaking some cds etc that were part of a magazine etc) we're thinking about just getting the PO to hold all our mail at the town PO and we'll pick it up ourselves.
    Rang the local PO, were told to ring mailing centre, rang them, were told to ring local PO... I think you see where this is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Put a note on your door with the names of the occupants and the address of the house.
    At the end, put 'Any mail incorrectly delivered to this address will be returned to the postal service.'
    Then anything thats not yours stick back into the nearest postbox and write on the envelope that it was incorrectly delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

A thing that I did was to ring An Post at the number above and ask them to collect the misdelivered mail. They then asked me to put the mail in the letterbox instead. I asked them to provide me with an indemnity, to cover me if I were to have an accident whilst bringing the letters to the postbox. I would also be risking committing an offence under Section 63 of the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act 1983 were I to do so. They were not in a position to provide an indemnity and accordingly they had to send someone to pick up the post.

The postman arrived the next day to pick up the misaddressed mail. I think he was pretty embarassed. Anyway, after that, it didn't happen anymore.

Still, fighting with the postman is a bad business, so be gentle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should tell your postman to go to Specsavers. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

You should tell your postman to go to Specsavers. :p

Wouldnt work. He would probably go to Hidden Hearing :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

jimoc wrote: »
    Put a note on your door with the names of the occupants and the address of the house.
    At the end, put 'Any mail incorrectly delivered to this address will be returned to the postal service.'
    Then anything thats not yours stick back into the nearest postbox and write on the envelope that it was incorrectly delivered.

I love the idea of the plque on the door with the occupants name... a friends grandad had that... a brass plaque with J SMITH or whatever on it... like a solicitors office, classy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A thing that I did was to ring An Post at the number above and ask them to collect the misdelivered mail. They then asked me to put the mail in the letterbox instead. I asked them to provide me with an indemnity, to cover me if I were to have an accident whilst bringing the letters to the postbox. I would also be risking committing an offence under Section 63 of the Postal and Telecommunications Services Act 1983 were I to do so. They were not in a position to provide an indemnity and accordingly they had to send someone to pick up the post.

The postman arrived the next day to pick up the misaddressed mail. I think he was pretty embarassed. Anyway, after that, it didn't happen anymore.

Still, fighting with the postman is a bad business, so be gentle.
    this is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Is there anyone in the area who doesn't work?

We had a postman a while ago that was doing the same thing, delivering the wrong post to the wrong houses. My dad went out to him and had a good stern chat about where people lived and that he needs to pay attention to the letters etc. Not getting expected post on certain days. It's not on blah blah blah.

Problem solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Im having the same problem. I was expecting mail during the summer and never got. Currently Im waiting for a package for the past three weeks from the states. It was shipped on the 4 oct. From my experience of ordering things online from the states - they are usually very quick in sending. I remember ordering something from the states and the same night I ordered something from Ireland. Well I received the package from the states four days later - normal shipping.

The package I am waiting for now - well I bought a load of things using voucher codes and got it all really cheap. It should have arrived by now.

Also I dont think the postman goes everyday whereas before it was 5 days a week. Funny how an post is never late sending tv license crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

Years ago, I worked in a post office. Incorrectly delivered post is a major no-no!

For your issue, write a cover letter mentioning that
    1.You are receiving wrong mail on a consistent basis
    2.Your neighbours are receiving wrong mail on a consistent basis
    3. You'll continue to use this method, in order to highlight the issue, until it is resolved
    3. include your name & address

Include the cover letter & the letter(s) which have been wrongly delivered into an envelope.

Address this to CMP (Ceann-Mháistir Poist) at your local Post office - mark it as "personal".

Pop all into a postbox, or you could give it to the postman (you do not have to mention what is in the letter :D )

I expect you'll not have the issue again.

Advertisement