Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Durrow Station Upgrades

Options
  • 18-10-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

A bit of work carried out here over the past few days have seen some improvements to the Davis Station...

* wind is now recorded at 10 meters
    * rain bucket is separated from the ISS and sits on the ground
    * temperature sensor cleaned and sits unobstructed on it's own post

The photo http://live.laoisweather.com/images/oct2010/IMG_1668.JPG shows the mast before rising it... and one can see the seperated rain and temp in the back right of the pic.

the photo http://live.laoisweather.com/images/oct2010/IMG_1669.JPG shows the mast up!

Thanks to Snowbie for advice along the way. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭istabraq

Looks good danno ,just one thing must be an optical illusion but the overhead wires look scarily close:eek: if so be very careful we couldn't afford to lose you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

They are around 8ft away from the mast... in fact, we had to alter the angle of rise to avoid them :D

Interesting.
    How do you plan access to the wind vain? tractor loader?
    There are no stays on that pole,is it concreted in and how deep?The wind vain is like having nothing on it anyway [ unlike a heavy wind catching tv aerial ] so it shouldn't need stays.

*note to self* must take my station out of the garage when I've time and re set it up.Time I've none of at the moment unfortunately.

The whole pole can be lowered and raised again by two people as the base of the pole sits on a pin and swivels upon it. The whole pier is the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Danno wrote: »
    They are around 8ft away from the mast... in fact, we had to alter the angle of rise to avoid them :D

You are seriously too close and could get a flash over.

The recommendations are twofold, a minimum of 10 Feet, but for an antenna, it's TWICE the height of the antenna.

• Advertisement

The wires themselves are roughly 1ft apart and are not insulated, surely they'd be arcing amongst themselves first? I will double check the distance as 8ft is a rough guess... Terrible that the ESB choose to run them so close to the residential area. The residential area is built over 30 years ago, and despite the ESB re-doing the wires around 5 years ago they left them in their original position. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Is the pole metal? and is it earthed???
    As someone who works in this area (and an interest in weather) the pole is way too close the power lines for safety. The lines looked like 10kv (10,000v)

The danger of flashover during erection of the pole is very high. I would urge to check this out asap.

Regards

The pole is galvanised steel... there is no earthing wire on it going into the ground. I will call on a friend who is an electrician to have a look to see if it needs to be made safer.

Advertisement