Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackrock Exam Centre

Options
  • 18-10-2010 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Just wondering what is the best way to get to the Blackrock exam centre?

Does the 17 get ya there? How long should it take to get there. Feckin mid terms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

17 takes about 20 mins (depends on traffic), but leave as early as possible, the 17 frequently does not come at all....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I had to get this last week for my Microeconomics exam. I got the 5.05 bus for an exam at 6, and was on time!

The bus driver was fairly sound and let all the UCD students (the majority of the bus) off at some junction (which isn't a bus stop). You want to find Carysfort Avenue and walk up it (about 5 minutes) and it will be on your right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Wow you got really lucky, the 17 frequently completely skips scheduled times and leaves all the gobshítes waiting at the bus stop wondering what could have been...

My advice would be to get to the bus stop an hour before your exam, don't leave it till 20 minutes and say "ah sure it's due to turn up in 5 minutes" because it most definitely will NOT.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Also another piece of advice!

After our exam loads of students were waiting on the main road outside Blackrock (not sure what it's called, it's where you turn right for Carysfort Avenue!) for the 7.15 bus back to UCD. Rather than queue up, me and my friends walked the extra 2 minutes to Blackrock DART station, got the bus there (that's the starting point so it was on time!) and only 2 other people got on. Then we watched smugly as the students all piled on at the main road stop and struggled to find seats!

Also another piece of advice!

After our exam loads of students were waiting on the main road outside Blackrock (not sure what it's called, it's where you turn right for Carysfort Avenue!) for the 7.15 bus back to UCD. Rather than queue up, me and my friends walked the extra 2 minutes to Blackrock DART station, got the bus there (that's the starting point so it was on time!) and only 2 other people got on. Then we watched smugly as the students all piled on at the main road stop and struggled to find seats!

Like outside the shopping centre?

If so, you could have literally just waited outside the bord altranas building which is just across the road from Carysfort Avenue, thus less walking.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Like outside the shopping centre?

If so, you could have literally just waited outside the bord altranas building which is just across the road from Carysfort Avenue, thus less walking.

Yea, that's where they were waiting.

Well, we could have waited there if we had known. It was the first time I was ever in Blackrock so I wasn't sure wihch roads the 17 even traveled on (it turned left before the shopping centre on the way into Blackrock). We just decided to take a walk to the DART station, literally about 60 seconds longer - we were early anyway!!

Yea, that's where they were waiting.

Well, we could have waited there if we had known. It was the first time I was ever in Blackrock so I wasn't sure wihch roads the 17 even traveled on (it turned left before the shopping centre on the way into Blackrock). We just decided to take a walk to the DART station, literally about 60 seconds longer - we were early anyway!!

Ah, well you'll know for next time :)

Fad wrote: »
    Ah, well you'll know for next time :)

Yea that's handy to know - Dublin Buses can be very confusing at times! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon :p

Do many exams take place in Blackrock? Is there not an examination hall in Belfield?

Yea that's handy to know - Dublin Buses can be very confusing at times! I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon :p

Do many exams take place in Blackrock? Is there not an examination hall in Belfield?

Most of my science (Maths especially, but I had a Chem one down there too) midterms were down there, presumably because the class is so large.

All my end of semesters were in the RDS though.

Quick question, does the bus collect people from the same bus stop that the 10 drops you off in UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Brandon2592

Yes same place as the 10... just the shelter beside it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Quick question, does the bus collect people from the same bus stop that the 10 drops you off in UCD?

Make sure you get on the right 17, as they both stop at the area near Quinn. It says on each shelter what bus they are for so make sure you get the Blackrock bound 17

Well the bus was 40 minutes late, but I finally made it.

If UCD insist on making us trek out to Blackrock they could at least provide a bus and not have us relying on the POS 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

How would I get there from the Blackrock dart station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Here ya go.

Directions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How long will it roughly take to cycle out there from UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

How long will it roughly take to cycle out there from UCD?

no more than 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

What's the parking like around there? Would I have any trouble getting a space and would I have to pay? It'd be handy to head home straight after my exam rather than getting a bus back to UCD!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

What's the parking like around there? Would I have any trouble getting a space and would I have to pay? It'd be handy to head home straight after my exam rather than getting a bus back to UCD!

Was up there yesterday, plenty of spaces and was free. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Was up there yesterday, plenty of spaces and was free. :)

Thanks! I think UCD has made me paranoid about parking....whenever I go anywhere I feel like I have to give myself an extra hour to find a space :D

• Advertisement

MASSIVE Thread Bump!

This semester, 3 of my mid-terms are in Blackrock which is fairly unlucky.

Is the 17 my best bet? I've heard a few people saying getting the 46a/145 to the Stillorgan Crossroads (Stillorgan Park to the left, Kilmacud Road to the right (where the shopping centre is) and walk down Stillorgan Park and Carysfort Avenue) - a bit longer but works out quicker as you don't have to rely on the 17.

On Monday evening I walked from UCD to the Smurfit School (via Stillorgan) just to time how long it would take if I walked the whole way. Being honest it's probably too long to walk there and back 3 times over, so I'll have to bus it somehow. It took me just over 17 minutes to walk from the Stillorgan Crossroad on the N11 (where the 46a would drop me off) to the Smurfit School of Business - I thought it would be closer.

Also, sometimes a 17 arrives at Belfield saying it's going to Dolphin's Barn (or somewhere that isn't Rialto or Blackrock, although the DB bus website lists no variations of the route) - this doesn't serve Blackrock, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

no more than 15 mins.
    You're joking. More like forty mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

MASSIVE Thread Bump!

This semester, 3 of my mid-terms are in Blackrock which is fairly unlucky.

Is the 17 my best bet? I've heard a few people saying getting the 46a/145 to the Stillorgan Crossroads (Stillorgan Park to the left, Kilmacud Road to the right (where the shopping centre is) and walk down Stillorgan Park and Carysfort Avenue) - a bit longer but works out quicker as you don't have to rely on the 17.

On Monday evening I walked from UCD to the Smurfit School (via Stillorgan) just to time how long it would take if I walked the whole way. Being honest it's probably too long to walk there and back 3 times over, so I'll have to bus it somehow. It took me just over 17 minutes to walk from the Stillorgan Crossroad on the N11 (where the 46a would drop me off) to the Smurfit School of Business - I thought it would be closer.

Also, sometimes a 17 arrives at Belfield saying it's going to Dolphin's Barn (or somewhere that isn't Rialto or Blackrock, although the DB bus website lists no variations of the route) - this doesn't serve Blackrock, does it?

It doesn't, no. Belfield is in the middle of the 17 route, Blackrock is one terminus, Dolphins Barn/Rialto is the other. They're in opposite directions.

You are walking in the slowest way to get there. This is how I did it every day for a year!

Go out the Stillorgan dual carriage way exit. Walk towards Stillorgan but turn left at Booterstown Avenue. Turn right at S Hill Avenue. Turn left at Mount Merrion Avenue. Turn right at Grove Avenue and turn left at Avoca Avenue. This leads to the side entrance of the Smurfit School.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Fun fact, this is also how google maps will tell you to do it.

You could also get the 46A etc to Mount Merrion Avenue and follow the above route.

Raphael wrote: »
    Fun fact, this is also how google maps will tell you to do it.

Funny that, isn't it? :pac:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're joking. More like forty mins.

If you look here you will see the journey is about 3.5km

If it takes you 40 minutes to cycle 3.5km almost completely downhill I can only imagine your bicycle is something like this

CrapBike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

If you look here you will see the journey is about 3.5km

If it takes you 40 minutes to cycle 3.5km almost completely downhill I can only imagine your bicycle is something like this
    I'm assuming from that you aren't taking into account stopping at traffic lights or leaving arriving early for the exam.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I'm assuming from that you aren't taking into account stopping at traffic lights or leaving arriving early for the exam.

Reread the post, that was not what the person asked.

Advertisement