Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlady asking me to move out because of dog.

Options
  • 18-10-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi just looking for some legal advice.

I have 2 kids, another on the way, a girlfriend and we all live together. 2 weeks ago we asked our landlady if it was ok to get a dog, she said yes no problem i love dogs. So we took a Siberian husky puppy off my sister, he is 6 weeks old now and 2 nights ago was his first night away from the mother, we got a dog house and had him outside the first night, there was some wailing and howling from him but it was on and off. anyway the next morning the landladies daughter who lives two doors up from us called in complaining about the noise of the dog...she was very rude and a argument broke out. Then tonight our landlady called into us to say either give up the dog or move out. She's a nice woman and we have gotten on well with her but she can be very stuck up and proper about some things and talks down to us like children which doesn't sit well with me and so we have said we will move out.

It doesn't bother me so much bout moving out but it does bother me that she wants the dog gone by tomorrow morning. If she is evicting us (or at least forcing us to choose whether we want to stay or keep dog) do i have to still get rid of the dog? We have 28 days to move out and all is still kinda on semi pleasant terms with the landlady. I know things will get bad between us if i decide to keep the dog and im ok with that....and also i don't mind losing the security deposit as the rent is due on the 1st which i wont be paying as i have said i wont be doing any of the minor repairs on the house and we will be staying for 2 weeks rent free anyway...so really we are just losing 2 weeks of the deposit!

So again all i really want to know is if i keep the dog out the back and he howls and sobs on and off (as huskies do) can she get the dog taken away from me or get guards involved or even start legal action against me???

Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

can you not keep the dog INSIDE your house?

I think it is indeed not very considerate to keep a howling dog outside at night. I would guess you have other neighbours feeling disturbed by it as well but they haven't said anything yet....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Albundy2526

Oh i know how bad it can be to have a dog howling or even barking into the wee hours of the morning, i have called into all the surrounding neighbours on the first night before any noise and asked the if they are ok with putting up with the howling for a few nights, maybe even a week or so just until we get him house trained and used to his new home and all but 1 neighbour said it was ok and or course i am willing to take him inside if the howling gets to loud or drags on. Like i'm not some inconsiderate person who is going to bug all his neighbours haha but a dogs a dog and to keep him indoors all the time is not right and i don't want to have to hide him from the landlady or her daughter....so just really want to know if i can hold onto him until the 28days are up without her going all nuts on me?? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You house is your castle. She can't evict you directly, only a court order can do that.

That said, you could be evicted for anti-social behaviour for having a dog howling on an on-going basis. Have you provided the dog with any creature comforts to help adjust - hot water bottle, ticking clock, etc?

Everyone could be happy if you tried.

Thank you Victor, we will more then likely keep him inside until we move out, he is a very quiet dog so far and just potters around. I do expect a full out argument with our LL over keeping him after she has instructed us to remove him from the property, but if she can't have the dog taken from us or have us forcefully removed then i am not too worried. Plenty of properties out there, cheaper and hopefully pet friendly to choose from :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Can i just say as a dog owner, a 6 week old pup shouldnt have been taken from its mother at that age, 8 weeks is the absolute minimum age they should be taken at.

Also a 6 week old pup shouldnt be outside at all! So no wonder the poor thing is crying, its far too young to be taken away from its mother and should not be outside at all, esp at night, poor puppy:(

You should check your lease regarding being allowed to have the dog though. Maybe try talking to your landlady again and see will she come around.

• Advertisement

Well he is not really away from his mother fully, he is a pup from my sisters dog who actually lives 2 minutes up the road and we have had him down there during the day and also my mother took another one of the pups and so far they have all been back each day to the mother and we will be doing this for the next week or so..... just wanted to get him used to our place and see how he got on. And agai he wasn't outside for the whole night....we have a 4 month old child and are up twice during the night with her so each time we got up the dog was let in for an hour and then was let in fully at 7am cause we had to get up with our second child ..... I do think a big fuss was made over it.....he was outside for one night for a total of 4 maybe 5 hours on and off. The back garden is enclosed with trees and the dog house is huge and full of dog pillows and a hot water bottle. It is not my first dog....but it is my first bit of trouble concerning a dog. Sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If she agreed to let you keep dog, then no she can't evict you for that reason.

However i think you have been a very irresponsible dog-owner. I don't know much, but I know a six week old pup howling for it's mother should not be left outside. If I was your neighbour, I would be complaining... first to you, then to the authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

just wanted to get him used to our place and see how he got on.

Any what was the plan if he got on badly?

3DataModem wrote: »
    Any what was the plan if he got on badly?

Then i'd tie him up and beat him..... come on what do you think i'd do???? Of course he'd be back down with his mother the next day if he'd of been restless and howling non stop. But he has gelled with the family very well and every dog howls the first night they are away from their mother. The pups were born outdoors and have been out doors from day one so having him outside on the first night in my home is no different.
    I love dogs and i love this dog....it's why i am willing to give up the family home for him. Don't try to make me out to be some dog abuser that the attorities should be called on. Dogs bark and howl and huskies are more howlers then barkers even as they get older.
    And also taking the dog at 6 weeks is very normal... As long as the pup is weaned and eating on its own (kibble,wet food,raw or home cooked) then I dont see why it should be a problem. Usually breeders let them go between 6-8wks and my dog was off the weaned almost 2 weeks.

I got my question answered so thanks, no need for any more "input" from 'bored people'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How long have you been renting the property? You may well be entitled to longer than 28 days notice. judging from your op you are ok with the 28 but if the landlady decides to call around again and start being a bitch about the puppy for spite you may want to mention to her that you are facilitating her by leaving earlier than legally required and that she should kindly stfu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Just because a pup was born & reared outside does not mean that at 6 weeks of age, which no responsible breeder would seperate from his mother, the dog is old enough to keep warm on his own. Remember, he's had his mum and littermates 'til now. Good way to ensure behaviour problems.

As for your landlady, she can't force you to remove the dog while you comply with the eviction order. Has she provided written letters etc?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

There are two very separate issues that need to be dealt with here:

1) How the landlady is treating the tenant

and

2) how the tenant is treating a 6 week old pup...

Personally I would be much more concerned and sympathetic towards the latter.

While I'm sure you do not deliberately mean to treat the puppy the way you are you really need to get some advice from someone who knows the best way to deal with such a young pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

And also taking the dog at 6 weeks is very normal... As long as the pup is weaned and eating on its own (kibble,wet food,raw or home cooked) then I dont see why it should be a problem. Usually breeders let them go between 6-8wks and my dog was off the weaned almost 2 weeks.
    I got my question answered so thanks, no need for any more "input" from 'bored people'.

No it is not normal!! Puppies are not meant to be taken away from the mother and their siblings until at least 8 weeks at a minumum. Breeders do not let them go before 8 weeks, well responsible ones dont!!
    A 6 week old puppy should not be outside at night at all, esp when the nights are getting very cold now.
    If your pup is 6 weeks and it was weaned 2 weeks, are you trying to say it was weaned at 4 weeks?? I dont think so!!

Do the pup a favour and bring it back to the mother and its siblings where it belongs until its old enough to leave them and dont put it back outside at night either, its a baby!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- calm down.
    First off- this is the accommodation and property forum- not the animal and pets forum.
    Secondly- if you attacked a fellow poster in this manner in the animal and pets forum- you'd get a posting holiday.
    If you want to discuss animal welfare issues- take it elsewhere.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement