Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help trasfering large file

• 18-10-2010 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a new laptop and am trying to transfer a 10G microsoft exchange .pst file,it has all my archives in it.

I have a new 500Gb USB external drive,empty to trasfer stuff from old laptop to new one, everytime i try to copy the .pst to it, i get the error that the disk ( USB ) is full and suggests cleaning / deleting files to make room, but the disk is empty.

I've created a zip file of the archive and it compresses it to 5Gb but it still gives the same error..

Has anyone any ideas how i can get this archive over to new laptop or why the the computer is saying disk is full?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Is the external drive formatted as FAT32 by any chance? This will have a max single file size of 4 GB.

If the external drive is blank, is might be worthwhile reformatting it as NTFS (right-click from Computer). You can always change it back later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,400 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

win rar is handy for splitting files if you stuck with trying to copy using fat disks with large files

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Bulmers

tks, sounds like that what the problem must be so, will try both suggestions

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

With regards to file copying, I'd highly recommend TeraCopy.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

Just with copying such a large file you wouldn't want it to crap out during the process.

Advertisement