Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Medium' test

Options
  • 18-10-2010 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm new to this forum so this has probably been suggested a hundred times but are ther any 'Mediums' on here that would be willing to meet up with a bunch of random Boards.ie members and prove that they can do what they claim to be able to do? (I would assume that anyone with such an amazing 'gift' would jump at the chance without feeling the need to charge for the privelege?) If it has been suggested before I'd be very interested to hear how it all panned out.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Its been done plenty of times. Go on a paranormal investigation and investigate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Evenflow1

Grimes wrote: »
    Its been done plenty of times. Go on a paranormal investigation and investigate

Well the purpose of my enquiry is to see if there are any mediums out there that are willing to prove themselves to the boards.ie skeptics like myself, If thats already been done I'd love to hear how it went, I've no desire to go on a paranormal invesigation, thats also been done to death with zero results. My girlfriend is a spiritual person, she has gone to a few well recomended mediums with friends and family members over the years and even she will admit that it was nothing more than a procedure churned out by these 'mediums' and she has spent a few quid doing it too, thats the thing that bugs me about it, they are basicaly fooling people into handing over their money, there is no regulation, no rules, no nothing, these people are basicaly thieves and their victims are the best kind of victims.....willing! so come on, man up and prove yourselves, no excuses, no smoke and mirrors! I'll bring the beer..............

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Evenflow1 wrote: »
    Well the purpose of my enquiry is to see if there are any mediums out there that are willing to prove themselves to the boards.ie skeptics like myself, If thats already been done I'd love to hear how it went, I've no desire to go on a paranormal invesigation, thats also been done to death with zero results. My girlfriend is a spiritual person, she has gone to a few well recomended mediums with friends and family members over the years and even she will admit that it was nothing more than a procedure churned out by these 'mediums' and she has spent a few quid doing it too, thats the thing that bugs me about it, they are basicaly fooling people into handing over their money, there is no regulation, no rules, no nothing, these people are basicaly thieves and their victims are the best kind of victims.....willing! so come on, man up and prove yourselves, no excuses, no smoke and mirrors! I'll bring the beer..............

I think you already have your mind made up about Mediums and no I,m not one. I have an open mind but I have seen some work, I suggest you go see Tony Stockwell next time he's in town and see what you think. Why do you feel Mediums would need or want to prove themselves to someone as negative as you are about what they do?

The Muppet wrote: »
    I think you already have your mind made up about Mediums and no I,m not one. I have an open mind but I have seen some work, I suggest you go see Tony Stockwell next time he's in town and see what you think. Why do you feel Mediums would need or want to prove themselves to someone as negative as you are about what they do?

If I'm being honest, you are right, I do have my mind made up but I truely believe that if they could prove me wrong, of course they would want to! and not only me but every other skeptic walking the earth, I know I would if i were in their shoes, the fact remains that they simply can't, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting my mail inbox to be overflowing with mediums lining up to make an idiot out of me but thats not because they wouldn't want to, its simply because they can't, like I said though, I would wholeheartedly welcome the offer. With regards to Tony Stockwell whoever he is, paying to see a 'medium' type person would not sit well with me as i believe that they are all thieves without exception, some just better at it than others and i think its a disgrace that they are geting away with it un-checked, someone please prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Should they need to? People are willing to give them money why do mediums feel that they should walk into a room full of people who despise them and attempt to prove people wrong? I wish I was a medium, id be minted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If I'm being honest, you are right, I do have my mind made up but I truely believe that if they could prove me wrong, of course they would want to! and not only me but every other skeptic walking the earth, I know I would if i were in their shoes, the fact remains that they simply can't, don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting my mail inbox to be overflowing with mediums lining up to make an idiot out of me but thats not because they wouldn't want to, its simply because they can't, like I said though, I would wholeheartedly welcome the offer. With regards to Tony Stockwell whoever he is, paying to see a 'medium' type person would not sit well with me as i believe that they are all thieves without exception, some just better at it than others and i think its a disgrace that they are geting away with it un-checked, someone please prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!!

On what basis have you formed the opinion that they are all fakes and thieves? Have you ever visited one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭celtic1888

ive never been to a medium and probably never will, the dead should be left well alone imo

anyway, i was a sceptic with regards to psychics and went along to prove myself right 5 years ago, i was proved wrong & since have returned to the same fella i first went to and have continued to be proved wrong as the majority of what hes predicted has happened in the timeframes hes given (not vast timelines either, quite specific)

anyway, ive also been to others and have found a lot of them to be chancers and/or just tarot readers with no "gift"

theres no point in you coming on here and giving it the larry large one about people proving themselves to you from a message board, if you are that interested go to a renowned psychic and see for yourself, go to a cheap one though as some of them charge crazy money (i refuse to go to them ones)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I dont often nail my colours to the mast or volunteer information in this area, but I feel in this case I should.

I am a practising spiritual medium. I do not charge money. In fact, I give of my free time to hold a spiritual circle, I make nothing from that. I have spent a lot of time and a hell of a lot of my own money training to do this, so that I understand what I do well enough not cheat or decieve anyone (myself included).

I dont do this to score points or to prove to people how great I am at it. I do it to provide some kind of healing or ease to a person who is grieving. I am only ever as good as the last reading I have given. I am well aware of what a huge responsibility this is, and I do not take it lightly. To me, what I do is not a parlour trick, or entertainment. It is the serious business of grief and loss.

I constantly doubt and question what I do. It keeps me realistic and grounded. Would I meet with a skeptic to try and connect for them? Of course. Most people are skeptical, thats healthy, I dont want an easy time of it, I just want it to work for them. Would I meet with a skeptic who does not need the connection, but only wants to prove to themselves what they already think? I dont know, I dont want to sit and take someone elses venom that I didnt earn.

Im not sure if you understand the distinction between mediums and fortune tellers, or if you are lumping all together under the same banner. But understand that mediums contact the dead. They never predict. They do not use cards or props unless they also include psychic reading in what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

are the paranormal forums, the easy pickings on boards or what?

How come so many people time and time again visit just to say 'someone prove me wrong!'? Are the mediums round here meant to be supplying free entertainment or something?

*I will not be moderating this thread, the other forum mods will*

I dont mind people questioning and doubting. Its the air of superiority from skeptics that I find hard to take. The assumptions such as mediums are "all thieves without exception" that I find unacceptable.

• Advertisement

i have no qualms on people having their doubts of any kind whatsoever - most of us are sceptics after all. I just wish there were better suggestions than 'prove me wrong'.

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont often nail my colours to the mast or volunteer information in this area, but I feel in this case I should.

I am a practising spiritual medium. I do not charge money. In fact, I give of my free time to hold a spiritual circle, I make nothing from that. I have spent a lot of time and a hell of a lot of my own money training to do this, so that I understand what I do well enough not cheat or decieve anyone (myself included).

I dont do this to score points or to prove to people how great I am at it. I do it to provide some kind of healing or ease to a person who is grieving. I am only ever as good as the last reading I have given. I am well aware of what a huge responsibility this is, and I do not take it lightly. To me, what I do is not a parlour trick, or entertainment. It is the serious business of grief and loss.

I constantly doubt and question what I do. It keeps me realistic and grounded. Would I meet with a skeptic to try and connect for them? Of course. Most people are skeptical, thats healthy, I dont want an easy time of it, I just want it to work for them. Would I meet with a skeptic who does not need the connection, but only wants to prove to themselves what they already think? I dont know, I dont want to sit and take someone elses venom that I didnt earn.

Im not sure if you understand the distinction between mediums and fortune tellers, or if you are lumping all together under the same banner. But understand that mediums contact the dead. They never predict. They do not use cards or props unless they also include psychic reading in what they do.

I don't mean to be bad even if it seems like I am because I'm genuinely not that type of person but I dont get the fuzzyness that surrounds this whole topic, there is absolutely no clarity! I'll put a question to you, its a straight enough question so I would assume that most people on here would think that it was reasonable to expect a straight enough answer so lets try it and see.......Is there and afterlife and if so, how could you show me that there is? because lets face it, thats what everybody wants to know right?

if there were mediums - and Im not one so I dont know - but how on earth ... if there are people who believe that they can communicate with people who have died ... how can they prove that to you? thats what gets me - I dont understand how a medium can actually prove something to a cynical person considering all the medium can do is tell you things.

I dont know the nature of the afterlife, obviously I think there is one. Some mediums think its just like this life, with buses and everything. I dont hold to that belief. :)

All I know, and all I can ever try to do, is provide evidence of survival after death. So I tell you about the person you knew who has died, I try to give you evidence of them that I couldnt otherwise know, unless they are telling me. What they look like, personality, describe their house maybe, give names or dates sometimes. How they died, their age. Events from their life. Events from your life since they passed on. Its all such simple stuff, nothing extraordinary, no lottery numbers. Just the mundane things that make up a persons existence.

Many see mediums work and think they parrot what is whispered in their ear or something, I wish it were that simple. Its like a complicated game of mental charades, to get the information.

If I do convince you, then it allows the thought that the person must still exist somehow, in some kind of 'afterlife'. But Im not a religious zealot, and its not my job or concern, what you believe about such an afterlife.

Evenflow, have you ever walked into your parish church or local mosque and asked the same question to your neighbourhood priest/imaam? If you fancy it Ill do into one of these buildings with you and you can have a theological debate face to face with a spiritualist.

But thats only if your really interested and not content with your internet musings but im looking forward to hear what your limited experience and understanding of the whole subject leads you to reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

celtic1888 wrote: »
    ive never been to a medium and probably never will, the dead should be left well alone imo

anyway, i was a sceptic with regards to psychics and went along to prove myself right 5 years ago, i was proved wrong & since have returned to the same fella i first went to and have continued to be proved wrong as the majority of what hes predicted has happened in the timeframes hes given (not vast timelines either, quite specific)

anyway, ive also been to others and have found a lot of them to be chancers and/or just tarot readers with no "gift"

theres no point in you coming on here and giving it the larry large one about people proving themselves to you from a message board, if you are that interested go to a renowned psychic and see for yourself, go to a cheap one though as some of them charge crazy money (i refuse to go to them ones)

Just out of sheer curiosity, would you mind telling us who he is?

I'm a bit of a skeptic myself. I've been to psychics/mediums who seemed really genuine at the time (know details about me that there was no way in hell they could have known!) and some of the stuff they told me did happen. But the major thing they both told me did not happen and now part of me thinks they only tell us what they think we want to hear. Having said that, I would love to be proved wrong! But I don't think coming in and demanding one prove their abilities is quite the way to get people with 'gifts' to prove themselves. We all get performance anxiety (I can't type when someone is watching me for example!) so I'm guessing it'd be the same for anyone who really had a gift (again, I could be wrong).

Personally, even though I don't believe, I would love to be proven wrong. Mad eh? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭celtic1888

fionav3 wrote: »
    Just out of sheer curiosity, would you mind telling us who he is?

I'm a bit of a skeptic myself. I've been to psychics/mediums who seemed really genuine at the time (know details about me that there was no way in hell they could have known!) and some of the stuff they told me did happen. But the major thing they both told me did not happen and now part of me thinks they only tell us what they think we want to hear. Having said that, I would love to be proved wrong! But I don't think coming in and demanding one prove their abilities is quite the way to get people with 'gifts' to prove themselves. We all get performance anxiety (I can't type when someone is watching me for example!) so I'm guessing it'd be the same for anyone who really had a gift (again, I could be wrong).

Personally, even though I don't believe, I would love to be proven wrong. Mad eh? :rolleyes:

Billy Martin in mullingar

search for my posts and you can read my rantings about him and how a reading with him should be approached imo...hes the only one that has worked for me...

im just your average bloke who has kept his experiences to this message board and told no one else out of embarrassment as im a bloke and its not something you sit in the pub telling the lads about:D im honest and not a mug and ive directly contradicted him before and been proven wrong....

none of the others ive been to have convinced me that they have a gift, other then maybe eddie but he lets himself down on the future stuff and his sensationalism imo

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Major Lovechild

I am now a qualified medium. Ask me anything.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

I am now a qualified medium. Ask me anything.
    That was quick.

I have a much loved relative who has passed. Tell me his name and a significant memory I have of him. Now normally, it doesnt work quite like this, but you seem supremely confident.

That was quick.

I have a much loved relative who has passed. Tell me his name and a significant memory I have of him. Now normally, it doesnt work quite like this, but you seem supremely confident.

You have my deepest and sincerest sympathies.

Sorry Oryx - I feel that I am unable to answer your questions as it would directly contravene the ethos of the present psychic community by offering substantive proof of my abilities or lack thereof.

• Advertisement

You have my deepest and sincerest sympathies.

Sorry Oryx - I feel that I am unable to answer your questions as it would directly contravene the ethos of the present psychic community by offering substantive proof of my abilities or lack thereof.
    You are in no way sincere and I reject your sympathies, as you come here purely to make a very insincere point.

You are in no way sincere and I reject your sympathies, as you come here purely to make a very insincere point.

My sympathies were sincere and I offer them once again.

As for the rest of my comment? You asked for proof and I stood behind the established ethos of this forum.

My sympathies were sincere and I offer them once again.

As for the rest of my comment? You asked for proof and I stood behind the established ethos of this forum.
    You offered proof. Tongue in cheek, but I wanted to see where you were going with it.

There is no established ethos for this forum. In the past, people have offered readings here. People still offer them privately from time to time, but you wouldnt know that. The hostility which sometimes is meted out to readers, along with the level of requests from people wanting readings, is what puts people off, not an ethos of refusing to give information.

Your statement of now being a 'qualified' medium was a set up to make your point. The only thing it illustrates to me, is how limited your understanding is, both of this forum, and of mediumship itself. Your repeated offer of sympathy shows you do still completely miss the point. Mediumship is not a toy, or a game. It is something which deals with peoples deepest emotions, and it can be used to heal, or it can really hurt. You dont respect or understand that.

Can I be any less "qualified" than any other medium on here?
    Would I incur further wrath if I revealed myself to be a cold-reader?

Your repeated offer of sympathy shows you do still completely miss the point.
    No. It shows that I have genuine compassion.

Can I be any less "qualified" than any other medium on here?
    Would I incur further wrath if I revealed myself to be a cold-reader?
    I think that has already been established.

There are such things as qualifications in mediumship, and a code of conduct. But I think you are completely unqualified, seeing as you arent one at all. And yes, as you are someone who has no knowledge and less experience of mediumship, then I can safely say you are less qualified than anyone here who has attempted to even understand it.

No. It shows that I have genuine compassion.
    If you had, you wouldnt have made a fake offer.

I think that has already been established.

There are such things as qualifications in mediumship, and a code of conduct. But I think you are completely unqualified, seeing as you arent one at all. And yes, as someone who has no knowledge and less experience, then I can safely say you are less qualified than anyone here who has attempted to even understand mediumship.

Well tell me more of these qualifications and code of conduct - let's see how they compare with mine.
    Please do not be tempted to presume too much.
    If you had, you wouldnt have made a fake offer.

My condolences stand. I too, like everyone else, have lost someone close.
    I do not demean anyone's memory or grief by my standpoint on here and it is churlish of you to even suggest that I am attempting to do so.

Grimes wrote: »
    Evenflow, have you ever walked into your parish church or local mosque and asked the same question to your neighbourhood priest/imaam? If you fancy it Ill do into one of these buildings with you and you can have a theological debate face to face with a spiritualist.

But thats only if your really interested and not content with your internet musings but im looking forward to hear what your limited experience and understanding of the whole subject leads you to reckon.

Well no, I have never approached a priest or imaam with the question 'is there an afterlife and how can it be proved' but I was taught in a catholic school and even at quite a young age I did ask a brother who taught there a similar question and his answer was, of course there is an afterlife, heaven and hell, It was written in the bible and we must simply believe........Sorry but thats no kind of an answer! but thats besides the point anyway, i have never heard a priest claim that he can communicate with dead people (except jesus but apparently he's not dead at all, he's seated at the right hand side of the father lol) Mediums do claim this and they claim to have the means to prove it too, an astonishing claim in my eyes so I'd like to see that please!

Code of conduct (specific to the SNU)

System of awards (qualifications)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I dont mind people questioning and doubting. Its the air of superiority from skeptics that I find hard to take. The assumptions such as mediums are "all thieves without exception" that I find unacceptable.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Well tell me more of these qualifications and code of conduct - let's see how they compare with mine.
    Please do not be tempted to presume too much.

Lovechild, what are your qualifications and code of conduct in the area of mediumship? I presume the area you're referring to, in which you're qualified, is mediumship. Correct me if I'm wrong though..

Curious.

Advertisement