Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Medium' test

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

all living things are made of energy,and energy lives forever,see einstein, after death,spirit energy moves on,some to a higher plain,others stay grounded[ghosts ect] because they still feel a earthly connection ,i believe many of the spirit energies are reincarnated,i can remember as a baby being pushed in a pram by a victorian lady down to the scarborough sea front in the 1850s.lots of people can remember parts of their other life,

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well as I am a disciple of reason and honesty - I'd have to say common sense and moral decency.
    As you have posted dishonestly at least once on this thread, I think you may need to reexamine at least one of the qualities which you say you hold dear.

As mentioned above, the views you hold are valid, but you need to express them in a way that allows room for the views of others, and doesnt discourage them from posting or otherwise antagonise. Respect is a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i do not feel insulted,a few years ago i myself use to think the same as he does,all i ask to sceptics is to look at things with a more open mind,you like i did, may get a big shock .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Grimes wrote: »
    Its been done plenty of times. Go on a paranormal investigation and investigate

How would you go about going on a paranormal investigation and does it cost money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Oryx wrote: »
    yawha, I take no offense from your standpoint, quite the opposite in fact.

It is incredibly easy to convince people you are connected to a deceased person, too easy, in fact. As you mention, the facts of ordinary lives are incredibly common. Often when talking on this subject, I refer to 'generic grannys'. They are all the same, granny perm, small dog or cat, trouble coping in their latter years, suffered from breathing problems, Mary or Margaret a connection. If I get a link like that, there may be nothing incorrect in it but I know its useless as any kind of proof of connection, because its so common. It would be so easy to leave it at that and the recipient would be happy, but you shouldnt, because you would have failed in what you are trying to do. You need a unique factor to single this person out, like 'she learned to ski at 65'. :)

If you watch a demonstration, see how many people try to take a link. If its three or more, its a very weak generic description, and the medium will need to up his game if its to be a good and convincing link. Every medium wants the 'wow' factor, where you get info that is so unique and specific, the audience goes 'wow'. :) It means youve done a good job.

I dont want my mind to play tricks on anyone, or to fool myself into thinking Im doing something Im not. So I constantly analyse and question. Could I have known that already? Was that a lucky guess? I prefer to work with someone who wont just take what I say as gospel and is skeptical, than one who keeps going yes and nodding all the while, (some people would accept anything you say, I bloody hate that, I cant work like that).

I know I have a good imagination. I write short stories. :) All I can tell you about inside my mind, is that I see these people, Im not just thinking of things to say. If that is purely imagination, then I need to figure out what psychological mechanism is at work that allows me not just see but sense a lady's figure, demeanour, looks, personality and memories. To see where she lived and that she loved drinking pints. To tie all that together without really looking at the recipient for reassurance, just presenting it as a flow of information. For that to be instantly recognised by the recipient. I ask myself is this coincidence? Could just anyone have someone like that in their life which this fits?

Ive asked myself that a lot, and my conclusion is that somehow, its has to be real. This image in my mind of a larger than life lady was a real person, showing me real facts. It's not the generic grannys that have convinced me this is real, its the unusual characters, and the situations that Ive given without really understanding what I'm saying, and the recipient cries because it means so much to them.

Sometimes, its weak, and I think I got it screwed up, certainly. Sometimes the recipient imagines you said something you didnt, or gives you credit you didnt earn. But there are readings that happen where I feel immersed in another persons life, where the connection between the recipient, and the spirit person and me, can only be described as profound. That cant be described here, it can only be experienced or witnessed, but that is what convinced me this was not something just pulled from my psyche.

I have researched things like Barnum statements and cold reading, purely so I dont find myself doing them. I dont want to fool anyone, I dont want to fool myself.
    Oryx, thanks for this. What a refreshingly honest, comprehensible and sane post...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

Thanks Oryx. I am now chastened. I realise that you mistook my joke for dishonesty. I'll remember not to joke with such serious people in future.

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Major Lovechild

;)

Wo ist die Gemütlichkeit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

getz wrote: »
    all living things are made of energy,and energy lives forever,see einstein, after death,spirit energy moves on,some to a higher plain,others stay grounded[ghosts ect] because they still feel a earthly connection ,i believe many of the spirit energies are reincarnated,i can remember as a baby being pushed in a pram by a victorian lady down to the scarborough sea front in the 1850s.lots of people can remember parts of their other life,

Ahh but Getz, c'mon man. If you burn a piece of toast or clap your hands you are observing the conservation of energy. This has nothing whatsoever to do with consciousness.

I don't believe that once someone dies their consciousness lives on, but I'm open to that possibility if someone can present some evidence of it. But this misrepresentation and misunderstanding of the nature of energy that incredibly intelligent, hardworking and imaginative people took years to try and explain really gets on my tits.

Advertisement