Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using mobile as broadband

Options
  • 18-10-2010 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi Guys

sorry if this a dumb questions but i need to get mobile broadband to use with my laptop and was wondering can i use a mobile phone to connect to my laptop to get broadband.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What type of phone have you?

You can more than likely tether it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Different kind of mobile you're thinking of there man :o

Mobile broadband is a USB stick you plug into your laptop to get online (sometimes). You can get them from Vodafone, 3, O2 and Meteor. If at all possible get fixed broadband, as mobile broadband in its very nature can be tempermental.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Different kind of mobile you're thinking of there man :o

Mobile broadband is a USB stick you plug into your laptop to get online (sometimes). You can get them from Vodafone, 3, O2 and Meteor. If at all possible get fixed broadband, as mobile broadband in its very nature can be tempermental.
    True.. but if he has a contract with mobile data included, he could technically tether his phone though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

basquille wrote: »
    True.. but if he has a contract with mobile data included, he could technically tether his phone though.

Yea I was thinking that, I only read your post after I made mine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Nokia use a mini usb and sony ericsson a se data cable just install the phone pc suite on your comp/laptop and set ur usb to phone mode and connect up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

helper11 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

sorry if this a dumb questions but i need to get mobile broadband to use with my laptop and was wondering can i use a mobile phone to connect to my laptop to get broadband.

Short answer is yes.

Really you want a HSDPA handset, with a good 10GB add on

Advertisement