Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing broadband modem

• 18-10-2010 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

got a letter from perlico today informing me that my broadband account is now in service and that a modem would arrive in a few days , thing is , i have an eircom modem ( netopia 12 vdc ) lieing idle in the house a few years and was thinking of using it until the perlico one arrives

i tried to rig it up today but the jack on the dsl ( yellow ) cable wont fit into the port where i always plugged in the telephone line while using dial up at the bottom of the cpu , the jack is too big and will only fit in where the likes of the printer is plugged in half way up , is this normal ??? , also , im not getting any recognition on the computer when i turn on the modem , does it self install or do you need a CD

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

irishh_bob wrote: »
    got a letter from perlico today informing me that my broadband account is now in service and that a modem would arrive in a few days , thing is , i have an eircom modem ( netopia 12 vdc ) lieing idle in the house a few years and was thinking of using it until the perlico one arrives

i tried to rig it up today but the jack on the dsl ( yellow ) cable wont fit into the port where i always plugged in the telephone line while using dial up at the bottom of the cpu , the jack is too big and will only fit in where the likes of the printer is plugged in half way up , is this normal ??? , also , im not getting any recognition on the computer when i turn on the modem , does it self install or do you need a CD

You plug the phone line into the modem, and the network cable is between the modem and PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Spear wrote: »
    You plug the phone line into the modem, and the network cable is between the modem and PC.

To elaborate. The modem that perlico will send you might be preconfigured for their broadband.

I'm not too sure just plugging in an existing router would work. Do you have the account details? (username/password/multiplexing method/vpi/vci) May need a few of those settings first.

If the router is connected to the machine (and phone line). Go to Start - Run, enter 'cmd' (without quotes) and press enter.

In the black dos prompt that appears enter 'ipconfig/all' (again without quotes).

Note down the IP address beside Default Gateway. Put this address in to your address bar and hit enter and you'll get in to the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Spear wrote: »

the 1st part is not a problem , the difficulty with your second instruction is that the jack on the network cable is too big to plug into the port at the bottom of the cpu where i would up to now have pluged in a standard phone cable while using dial up , you know , the cable that goes direct from the psdn to the back of the computer , the only place i can fit the network cable is into a port beside the printer , perhaps this is ok , thats what im unsure of

chin_grin wrote: »
    To elaborate. The modem that perlico will send you might be preconfigured for their broadband.

I'm not too sure just plugging in an existing router would work. Do you have the account details? (username/password/multiplexing method/vpi/vci) May need a few of those settings first.

If the router is connected to the machine (and phone line). Go to Start - Run, enter 'cmd' (without quotes) and press enter.

In the black dos prompt that appears enter 'ipconfig/all' (again without quotes).

Note down the IP address beside Default Gateway. Put this address in to your address bar and hit enter and you'll get in to the router.

when you say put this adress in my adress bar , where do you mean exactly , the only adress bar im familiar with is the down arrow at the top of the screen you click for regular websites , are you refering to this or perhaps to the box that opens when you click on start - run ???

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,539 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the 1st part is not a problem , the difficulty with your second instruction is that the jack on the network cable is too big to plug into the port at the bottom of the cpu where i would up to now have pluged in a standard phone cable while using dial up , you know , the cable that goes direct from the psdn to the back of the computer , the only place i can fit the network cable is into a port beside the printer , perhaps this is ok , thats what im unsure of

Sounds like you're trying to put the network cable into the PSTN modem. If you say it fits one near the printer port, then that's probably the integrated network card with it's socket on the riser, alongside the parallel port/USB ports etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If thers a socket on the PC that the cable from the modem will fit into, then you probably have a network card on the PC, possibly built-in yo the motherboard. The 'address bar' the previous poster referred to is where you type a web address in your browser; put the default gateway address in there and you should get to the web control page from the modem. Its probably

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If thers a socket on the PC that the cable from the modem will fit into, then you probably have a network card on the PC, possibly built-in yo the motherboard. The 'address bar' the previous poster referred to is where you type a web address in your browser; put the default gateway address in there and you should get to the web control page from the modem. Its probably

the default adress is 192.168.1.254

Advertisement