Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Level English-help - Exam question- Poetry

• 18-10-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Hi, I'm doing a poetry question about power and powerlessness. I have two poems done in detail, would one more poem in detail cover me for full marks? (Obviously excluding factors such as my writing ability etc)

Thanks!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

Hi :)
    Well my teacher has always told us to cover 4 poems in detail and vriefly mention another 2 and also I've seen LC questions that say refer to 5/6 poems
    Are you doing Adrienne Rich by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Thanks, wow that's a lot of work. I've only the two poems done so far but they've taken me hours! I think it's just me getting back into the swing of esay writting really, and I'm a perfectionist.

Do you by any chance know how long we have in the exam to write that question?

Yeah! I'm doing the esay on Adrienne Rich.....what a depressing character! I hated the poem "The Uncle Speaks in the Drawing Room" but I loved "From a Survivor". Are you studying her poetry too?:pac:

Well if you have them perfect now hopefully they'll be perfect in June :)

I'm afraid I don't know but I would guess 45mins? Which is tough! Anyone know for sure?

Yeah we finished her a while ago and did that exact essay.. can't say I enjoyed her..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Nicole. wrote: »

Do you by any chance know how long we have in the exam to write that question?

English (H) Paper 2 is a 200 mark exam of 200 minutes duration. Prescribed poetry question is 50 marks, a quarter of the marks. So if you want to give yourself 5 minutes to read the paper and 15 minutes to go over your paper at the end, you are left with 180 minutes divided by 4 to do your prescribed poetry. Three quarters of an hour

sparagon wrote: »

I'm afraid I don't know but I would guess 45mins? Which is tough! Anyone know for sure?

Huh good guess so

• Advertisement
Advertisement