Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Christmas portrait ideas!

• 18-10-2010 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Ok, so me and the other half want to do a home made Christmas card with our 2 young kids.

So, obviosuly outfits are not a problem, but as I am a bit of an amateur photographer, I'm hoping I can come up with something more than a "point and shoot" shot.

Any tips for doing a simple portrait at home?

I was thinking of some sort of background eg plain grey. I have seen how in studios, a roll of paper/canvas whatever is hung off a stand to create a seamless background. Any idea how I would achieve this at home and where might I get such supplies in Dublin? (on a budget!).

Anyone out there who has done this and has some ideas.

Ok and yes, I know its not even Halloween ha!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Have the missus dress as Santa and act as though she's passed out drunk on the sherry on the floor. Staple antlers to your kid's heads, pop red noses onto their snoots and hang them upside-down from the chimney. Capture them looking from the fire place, fingers in mouth whistling trying to wake the drunk Santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

humberklog wrote: »
    Have the missus dress as Santa and act as though she's passed out drunk on the sherry on the floor. Staple antlers to your kid's heads, pop red noses onto their snoots and hang them upside-down from the chimney. Capture them looking from the fire place, fingers in mouth whistling trying to wake the drunk Santa.

Except in my house, I wouldn't need to stage this :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

PoleStar wrote: »
    Except in my house, I wouldn't need to stage this :D

:pac: I hear you brother...

But how old are the kids? And simple grey isn't really gonna convey christmassy. While (of course:o) my original idea was only to be funny it was also in reaction to your idea.

Give's some ages and male/female. And...and..and sure why not push it a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Why ?
    Simple and straightforward, classical, elegant... that's more my cup of tea.
    Like say... this :
    http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2009/12/23/1-day-to-xmas-the/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I used to do this, havent had the time the last 2 yrs though. I always bought the christmas outfits early and took the pics of the kids wearing the christmas outfits bu the christmas tree. I would decorated the tree to perfection to make sure it looked well and have a tight crop so in fact you would just see part of the tree. I just dont think a plain background would be christmassy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

i know u said in the home, but maybe take the whole family out somewhere and get some good autumn inspired chilly outdoorsy photos, or get a cheap xmas tree and go to the beach in the afternoon light. i have a picture in my head, dont really think its what ure describing tho!!

Advertisement