Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Negatives from an old APS film canister?

• 18-10-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all!

I recently purchased a flatbed scanner with the intention of digitizing all my old photos. I set up my scanner and was all ready to go. So off I went upstairs to get all my negatives, opened the box where I kept them all only to realise that having used an APS camera for years I have no negatives; all of the negatives are retained in the old film canister. Imagine how stupid I feel right now :o

After all that, my question is how can I get my negatives out of the old APS rolls? Does it have to be professionally done, or can I just break out the old nut-cracker? :D

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

They're easy enough to open with a screwdriver or something, a quick google will give you a few hits on precisely how to do it. You have to nlock them by jimmying the screwdriver into the correct slot and then you can wind out the negatives.

You'll probably have to put them directly onto the scanner glass to scan them though, unless you have a specific aps film holder, 35mm holders won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 biothac

Thanks for your help Daire!
    You'll probably have to put them directly onto the scanner glass to scan them though, unless you have a specific aps film holder, 35mm holders won't do.

I was afraid you'd say that! I'll try one of the less important rolls of film first. I've bought the Canoscan 700F - there's a light that sits over the frame to be scanned, and between it and the film holder, they hold the negative flat to the glass, so I'm hoping it might work, although there'll be a lot of photoshop work to do after :(

If this all becomes too much for me, could you recommend anywhere that could transfer APS to disc? And would it be expensive?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I would think most good photolabs still have APS negative feeders for their printing gear, and should be able to scan it to CD for you.
    biothac wrote: »
    Thanks for your help Daire!

I was afraid you'd say that! I'll try one of the less important rolls of film first. I've bought the Canoscan 700F - there's a light that sits over the frame to be scanned, and between it and the film holder, they hold the negative flat to the glass, so I'm hoping it might work, although there'll be a lot of photoshop work to do after :(

If this all becomes too much for me, could you recommend anywhere that could transfer APS to disc? And would it be expensive?

Thanks again!

Advertisement