Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Spending Half a Billion on Kinect Launch

Options
  • 18-10-2010 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1128566p1.html

The NY Post reports Microsoft is set to spend $500 million dollars in marketing Kinect, the Xbox 360 controller-free camera, this holiday.

"Kinect is the largest, most integrated marketing initiative in Xbox history, bigger than its launch," said Robert Matthews, general manager of global marketing communications for Xbox. "We are going to be spending millions to launch this globally."

The device will appear on soda cans, cereal boxes, television, magazines and the Internet.

"The campaign started 18 months ago when Don Mattrick and Steven Spielberg stood on stage at E3 to announce what would become Kinect," Matthews added. "The video we produced for that occasion went on to become one of the most watched viral videos of the year, according to Advertising Age."

Promotions for the device include Pepsi, Kellogg's cereal, Nickelodeon, YouTube, Disney and People magazine. Microsoft is also planning a launch event at Times Square in New York City.

Kinect is set to launch worldwide this November.

=========================================
    Anyone got any opinions on this ? They will have to sell a shed load to cover that spend....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I would've thought that money would've been better spent actually developing decent games for it. Launch line-up was released today and it's woeful. Something like 4 sports compilation games alone, 3 dance games, and a few fitness games.

Could still sell well so maybe spending the money on advertising it makes sense. I've no intention of picking it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Maybe, Id be interested to see if many Xbox owners will get this straight away.
    thats why i posted it in this forum to get both Playstation and Xbox opinions.

Although i found this :
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40790/750000-gets-PlayStation-Moving
    750,000 spent on Playstation Move :rolleyes:

Hard to know where all the money goes even if it is global !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Not worth it...Shovelware games - and for that reason, I'm out!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

I have a feeling history will look back at kinnectas a huge flop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well they already have an entire building rented on Grafton Street showcasing the thing. That must cost a bit, especially with at least five workers at any time.

Personally, I'm laying off Kinect until there's some interesting games (Child of Eden namely). Dance Central is the only impressive one in the Grafton Street show room, and tbh as much as I love Harmonix I have far less interest in a dancing game than I do in Rock Band 3. Technically, and as a party game, it looks pretty damn entertaining, but I'm not the target market for it, and as a result, Kinect yet.

• Advertisement

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/110/1106913p1.html
    ...First up, the price. Kinect will have a suggested retail price of $149.99, as many online retailers have recently guessed. The news is that Kinect will be bundled with a free game, Kinect Adventures. All first-party Kinect games will have a suggested retail price of $49.99 and Microsoft expects that to be the standard, though it is leaving third-party pricing up to those publishers.

Kinect on its own comes with a game for $150.
    At least one third-party game will follow that standard. Microsoft has announced that Dance Central, from Harmonix and MTV Games, will also retail for $49.99.

For those new to Xbox 360, Microsoft will have a special Kinect console bundle available at the November 4 launch of the sensor. For $299, the bundle will include an Xbox 360 console, the Kinect sensor and Kinect Adventures. The Xbox 360 will be the previously confirmed $199 redesigned Xbox 360, not the 250 GB model that has spurred sales in the past month....

That was posted in July, any new price lists?

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/112/1128547p1.html
    17 Titles Prepped for Kinect Launch
    Motion sensor appearing on Oprah tomorrow.

This November, Microsoft is preparing to launch one of its biggest entertainment devices ever, the Kinect for Xbox 360.

The company announced it's spending half a billion on marketing the motion camera for the Xbox 360, and plans to showcase it on Oprah tomorrow and The Ellen DeGeneres Show later this month.

"The Xbox 360 team created a multiyear, integrated campaign showcasing real people at the heart of the experience," said Mike Delman, corporate vice president of IEB global marketing, Microsoft.

"Kinect puts consumers at the center of their entertainment, and our marketing efforts follow that same charter."

17 games in total will be available in the month, 12 on the day it launches on November 4.

Kinect Adventures (included with every Kinect) - Nov. 4

Kinectimals - Nov. 4

Your Shape Fitness Evolved - Nov. 4

Dance Central - Nov. 4

The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout - Nov. 4

Dance Masters - Nov. 4

Kinect Sports - Nov. 4

MotionSports - Nov. 4

Kinect Joy Ride - Nov. 4

Adrenalin Misfits - Nov. 4

Fighters Uncaged - Nov. 4

Sonic Free Riders - Nov. 4

EA Sports Active 2 - Nov. 16

Game Party In Motion - Nov. 18

Zumba Fitness - Nov. 18

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Nov. 16

Deca Sports Freedom - Holiday 2010

Lots more than the Move though for launch...Good timing for xmas or not by MS?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I would've thought that money would've been better spent actually developing decent games for it. Launch line-up was released today and it's woeful. Something like 4 sports compilation games alone, 3 dance games, and a few fitness games.

Could still sell well so maybe spending the money on advertising it makes sense. I've no intention of picking it up though.

Me and you, buddy - we're on the exact same wavelength! I was going to say the exact same things - specifically that that money'd be better spent on a decent launch game, best of luck, but i've no intention of buying it and i think it'll be a flop; same with Move. Maybe When the "2nd Generation" of motion control games come out in 2-3 years, it'll take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Apparently its been getting a LOT of pre orders.Its meant to be as good sold out in the UK & nearly in the US.Like Sony with Move you'd wish they'd offer a game just one that is actually good.The launch line-up similar to Move's is just plain bad.That Dragon game may be good & Child of Eden could be a Class title but its all up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I could not be less interested in Kinect. This has disaster written all over it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

150euro? I can think of 150 better ways to spend it tbh.

• Advertisement

Yeah €150 was sounding a tad steep.

Thats three games really !

I did see the exhibition type thing on grafton st, cheap rental around there. Probably in competition with the Playstation Hub nearby.

That Dragon game may be good & Child of Eden could be a Class[/QUOTE]

What games are these? Any game footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

I could not be less interested in Kinect. This has disaster written all over it imo.

Thoroughly agree, the novelty of it will barely make it to Christmas.
    After spending half a billion on advertising, I have a feeling this is what the MS execs will be seeing in the boardroom come January

bill-cullen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It's stupid to release this in the middle of the 360s life. I'll never get one so games that rely on it, I won't get. And big games might add in some support for it, but they will still to support a regular controller so they can't utilise it properly.

Maybe when next Xbox comes out with it as standard it'll be used more.

As Daniel Floyd said in his escapist video, MS and Sony are putting billions into their motion controllers. If (when :pac:) it flops, lots of game developers will lose their jobs and likely some great games will never be made :(

It's a small thing but Heavy Rain cancelling their planned DLC to work on Move support is the start of something I really, really don't want to see :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's stupid to release this in the middle of the 360s life.

I think were past that milestone.

Sony aren't pumping nearly as much money into the move as MS is kinect. Sony are treating the move as a way to enhance your gameplay, while MS are pushing the kinect as a new platform altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jaykhunter wrote: »
    What games are these? Any game footage?

The sequel to Rez. A killer app if ever there was one.

The dragon game I'm guessing is the one in development by the Panzer Dragoon creator? Suda 41 and a few others also have intriguing, 'proper' games lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

quarryman wrote: »
    I have a feeling history will look back at kinnectas a huge flop.

definately. they really need to invest more in the games lineup rather than marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

listermint wrote: »
    I think were past that milestone.
    That's even worse. Although there will be some overlap in 360 and next console.

They should have just brought next console forward and then every game could support it.

• Advertisement

The sequel to Rez. A killer app if ever there was one.

The dragon game I'm guessing is the one in development by the Panzer Dragoon creator? Suda 41 and a few others also have intriguing, 'proper' games lined up.

Yes but you can play it without Kinect, it's also coming to PS3 and will be Move compatible, so it's not really a killer app for Kinect. Most reports I've heard say that it actually plays better with a regular controller, that Kinect doesn't add anything to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I guess the half billion is to get the casual audience.

I'm already buying it. Must be the only one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I don't feel the users of boards are a fair representation of the target market for Kinect. Most of the people saying they believe it will flop or expressing their disinterest are probably not the type of people this will be aimed at.

The marketing budget reflects this IMO. Mass appeal means mass marketing so expect this to be driven at parents and kids and family-oriented media outlets like TV and possibly cinemas which cost a lot more than online, magazine and email marketing campaigns.

They are going after the casual gamer with this technology - I think it's fair to say that the majority of posters on an xbox forum on a message board site are not casual gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Would be interested but due to price and crap launch software ill wait it out. Xtravision and im sure other stores are pushing it , Few weeks ago i went to buy a hdmi cable for my ps3 and the guy in xtravision says to me would i like to pre order Kinect to which i replied that i didnt have a 360 :P

Looking at it in terms of the current economic climate...

The majority of people who own 360s are core gamers, with a few kids thrown in. How many families have a 360 set up in their sitting rooms? Very few i'd imagine. However there are a helluva lot of wii's in sitting rooms across the country. The target audience is the current wii audience.

Now let alone the 150 price tag for existing 360 owners, but it comes to 300 for the bundle for new customers. New customers who more than likely already own a wii. I can't see many families forking out 300+ euro for this and games when paying the electricity and heating bills is becoming a bit of a burden, especially when they look at they're wii they bought 3 years ago and have used twice in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Hang on hang on... Child of Eden is coming out Kinect?

Well there's my bad news of the day. For **** sake. I was really looking forward to playing that as I love Rez. Absolutely zero interest in buying a Kinect.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Hang on hang on... Child of Eden is coming out Kinect?

Well there's my bad news of the day. For **** sake. I was really looking forward to playing that as I love Rez. Absolutely zero interest in buying a Kinect.

It's not a Kinect-only game though. It's even coming to PSN. So you can play it with a regular (or Move) controller if you like. By some accounts it's preferable to play with a reg controller over Kinect.

Master of the Universe

Well that's a relief! Cheers :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't feel the users of boards are a fair representation of the target market for Kinect. Most of the people saying they believe it will flop or expressing their disinterest are probably not the type of people this will be aimed at.

The marketing budget reflects this IMO. Mass appeal means mass marketing so expect this to be driven at parents and kids and family-oriented media outlets like TV and possibly cinemas which cost a lot more than online, magazine and email marketing campaigns.

A mass appeal gadget shouldn't cost the price of an Xbox 360 and the price of Kinect on topof it. MS are never going to get the audience they want at that price point. The Wii succeeded because it was at a price sweet spot. The 360 is a hardcore gamers console and therefore it's not in the majority of casual gamers households. For people without a 360 the price is going to turn them right off. This really needed to be packaged with the system as a massive loss leader in time for christmas. I can see this flopping hard which is a shame. The launch line up is dire but the kinect games from japan look really interesting.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This really needed to be packaged with the system .

Exactly.

It's such a rookie error. Console add ons always flop when you have to buy them separately.

Look at Sega. The Megadrive alone had the 32X, Mega CD, The Power base converter and the Master System Converter II. All of which were bought separately from the console and flopped.

Or how about even the n64 DD?

I reckon the Snes Sony CD add on would have flopped too.

Actually, has there been any console add on which hasn't flopped? (I'm drawing a blank!)

Advertisement