Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Spending Half a Billion on Kinect Launch

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Guitar hero is the only one I can think of but it came out at a time when PS2 had completely saturated the market, was only 80 euro with the games as opposed to 150 with no game or whatever the kinect is and was a damn fine game that caught the casual crowd after the hardcore crowd picked up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

o1s1n wrote: »
    Actually, has there been any console add on which hasn't flopped? (I'm drawing a blank!)

Em, the light gun for the NES? I can't think of any others....RG's right about guitar peripherals; although i wouldn't count it since it's 3rd Party.

Actually, I've a question. Could you make Kinect console? I mean something that will run Kinect games for $200? Instead of making Kinect a 360-peripheral?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Em, the light gun for the NES? I can't think of any others

The zapper was bundled with the console since release with duckhunt and then again with duckhunt and mario on the same cartridge meaning a large amount of zappers were in NES owners hands. Even then there's not many zapper games for the NES. It's what MS should have done.

The thing about this is that half a billion is pocket money to MS. Sure this is the same MS games division that celebrated when on the year that Halo 2 launched their games division made their first and only profitable quarter for the entire Xbox life cycle and managed to lose only 2 billion dollars for the year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Without good games both Kinect and Move will die a death.

Microsoft should have put the technology into the next Xbox and released it with control built around this, the way the Wii fully committed to this type of control. As an add on I would be very surprised if it does well.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    Without good games both Kinect and Move will die a death.

Microsoft should have put the technology into the next Xbox and released it with control built around this, the way the Wii fully committed to this type of control. As an add on I would be very surprised if it does well.

Too true. However when it comes to games I think MS seems to have the more interesting line up. Move has absolutely nothing that interests me and anything else I'll be playing on a dual shock. I have a Wii and know that the controls are interesting but not exactly an improvement on a traditional controller. I also very much doubt that Sony have sold half a million move units and think it's very much a shipped figure. Sony are well knownto lie about shipped vs. sold figures.

The Kinect has some very interesting big budget, what look like, vanity projects coming out for it from japan that look a whole lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hocker

Half a billion.. imagine what else you could do with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sorry, when I said add ons I meant consoles, not perhiperals. There are many light guns and other things like that which have done very well. (I <3 Guitar Hero!)

What I was talking about was expensive add on machines that connects to your existing console with the aim of prolonging that consoles life and/or branching it out into some other area. (Like the Kinect)

It never works. You're immediately whittling down the buyer base for the games.

To play a 360 game you have to do this - buy 360 -> buy game.

To play a Kinect game you have to do this - buy 360 -> buy Kinect -> buy game.

That one extra step really makes all the difference to how many games get produced and bought. It's why there are only 30 odd games for the Sega 32X, about five games for the N64 DD...okay the Mega CD has a much larger library than that, but it's still not massive.

Sega even went one further and made CD 32X games. Games that require both attachments to be stuck on a Megadrive. There are only 6 games for this.

Anyway, I'm rambling. In short, this idea, while interesting, has not worked in the past. Maybe Microsoft will be the first to make it happen. Who knows. I doubt it though. Especially seeing as we've had the Wii now for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I would've thought that money would've been better spent actually developing decent games for it.

Microsoft doesn't develop any games anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Funny i had a conversation about the Move V's Kinect a couple of weeks ago.

The non gamers at the table had all heard of the Kinect but none of the Move which had already been on general release for two weeks.
    I guess thats the difference between 750,000 and 500 million.

I've since read on the PSX newsletter that some Sony dude was quoted as saying that they will never allocate the kind of cash that MS do, for advertising.

If my calculations are right(its probably not) then they will have to sell approx 3,333,333.33 units just to recoup their 500m.

I was just watching some dude play Sonic with the Kinect and it looks like far too much like hard work for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Move has apparently sold 1.5million units in Europe and 300k in the US.

EDIT: Source http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/playstation-move-launch-sales/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

testicle wrote: »
    Microsoft doesn't develop any games anymore.

I suppose they have to spend their money on something then. That'll be news to Rare and 343 industries too :P

Move has apparently sold 1.5million units in Europe and 500k in the US.

I'd love to know if tose figures are true. As I said Sony is notorious for passing off shipped figures as sold figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

People do forget (as did I) that its not XBOX but Microsoft who have bundles of money, i would like to see proper sales figures as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I hope the move fails, id rather sony spend they're money developing real games instead of this fcuking jump around wii bullsh!t... if i wanted to jump and swing about like a fcuking monkey i'd go play a game of tenis. It really is the last thing i want to do when i come home from work or from training.

I really hate the wii and have no intention of getting either the move or this over priced piece of monkey crap !

So please sony... stop wasting your money on these kids toys ! Thats microsoft's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd love to know if tose figures are true. As I said Sony is notorious for passing off shipped figures as sold figures.

I know Sports Champions was fairly high in the UK charts for a few weeks, it was no. 1 the week it launched I think.

The advantage I think that the Move has over Kinect, is that Sony is making pretty much all its first party titles have Move support, but they're not Move only games. I know partly the reason I picked up the Move was to try it with Heavy Rain and MAG (which I haven't got around to yet), but knowing that Killzone, LBP2 and socom were coming down the line made it much more of a palatable impulse purchase for. Hell Resident Evil 5 is there too if I was to have a blast on that for a bit. Don't have the option with Kinect, so it's really flying under my impulse buy radar. Because I can't see myself using it for more than ten minutes. Whereas I've used my Move for 15 mintues. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I have to say I can't wait for Kinect, I have had both the xbox and 360 since launch and consider to myself to be a pretty committed gamer in that I enjoy playing games, I just think Kinect is cool and will be a cool gadget to show people and should be a fun social gadget, I can't wait for it really surprised at the negative vibes here,.

vasch_ro wrote: »
    really surprised at the negative vibes here,.

Take it you haven't been reading any other forums/blogs recently then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

no just happened to glance at this one when i saw the title....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

vasch_ro wrote: »
    no just happened to glance at this one when i saw the title....

Reviews and previews for Kinect are a mixed bag. A lot of people are praising its potential, with Child of Eden and Dance Central being trumpetted. However, many people are also saying the technology isn't accurate enough yet and the games are almost exclusively casual.

Personally, I won't be getting it. Its too expensive, there are no games that interest me and having tried it myself, I don't think the tech is that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Even though i have a Playstation, I would praise MS and Kinect if its groundbreaking similar to the Wii and the progress they made.
    The Move just improved on the Wii, I've only tried it a few times but am welcome to feedback in its comparisions to the Wii.

We wont make any progress unless we are bold enough to buy it and use it....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I was going to invest in Kinect until I saw the line up. Pretty dire to be honest.

I'm going to upgrade to the Xbox slim so I'll have a look at a few bundle deals for Kinect. That'll be the only way I'll probably get it to be honest. €150 is a tad expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Played kinect in the Grafton street store and was not that impressed with it :rolleyes:

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Played kinect in the Grafton street store and was not that impressed with it :rolleyes:

Which store has it? I just wanna go there and *pew pew* :pac:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/21/here-are-your-first-kinect-ads/

The first batch of ads... *gargle*

Hmmm, might casually mention this to my nephew some day, they tend to come around for christmas so if i get him to ask "santa" for a kinect.... *devious chuckle*

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I kind of want this, but I don't 150 euro want it.

Also, 10th November? That's the day after Call of Duty: Black Ops is it not? I predict many a row in households.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hocker wrote: »

I could be a billionaire

I like the idea of both the kinetic and move. But will watch its progress and see how the games pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hocker wrote: »
    Rabies wrote: »
    I could be a billionaire

Would you go to vegas and but the half-billion on red? :pac:

Advertisement