Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit Advice

Options
  • 18-10-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Morning/Evening

I'm in Victoria, OZ. I'm looking to buy a wetsuit and I can get the new Rip Curl f-Bomb at a lower price.

I'm looking at a 3.2 as it's too hot here in summer for a 4.3.

Now my question is (no one here knows what the water is like back home)
    Should I get the 3.2, bring it home and use it as a summer/autumn suit or is there a chance it will be too hot to even use here (OZ) in the summer? It seems the 4.3 is out of the question to wear in the Victorian summer. I've been to the shops in Torquay etc and they say this and that but they don't really know much about the Irsh conditions which is where I need a bit of help, only started surfing into the summer back home with a 5mm.

Any help is appreciated, it's a top suit from what I've seen and the reviews given. Also, chest zip is becoming all the range, didn't really care before but it gives extra flex on the back because there's no back zip to strain movement.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Alfreado

f-bomb is a great suit alright but get the thickest suit you can for the irish winters, 5/6 if you can find one. the water temp over here now is so so, you'd get away with a full summer suit but if you want to surf through the winters you'll need something heavier than a 4/3, just my opinion.

If you spot any of the surfing dry suits try one one see what you think. ION (i think it was...) do one that looks like a drywetsuit. Never seen one in the flesh though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I just got 4/3 here in the summer and it’s plenty warm, I’d say even now it’s fine come December I’ll switch to a 6/4 and curse the bulk. I’ve just binned a rip curl 3/2 as was falling apart after 10 yeas so no complaints about quality I got my moneys worth. A 3/2 will be a bit cold in the summer early in the morning (6ish) but for any afternoon session or if it’s sunny it would be fine, maybe add a good rash vest. With a 3/2 and a 5/3 you’d be well covered.

Enjoy Oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

You'll need a minimum of a 5/3 to surf through an irish winter which you can just use year round then if you dont wana spend money on a summer suit. thats what i do and its perfectly fine. But yeah, 5/3 minimum, the 6 mil f-bomb would be lovely and warm id say but may be a bit bulky? wouldnt mind that on a freezing day in january though!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Thanks for the replies

Yeah I can only get a 4.3 for about $310 or a 3.2 for $290.

I already have the Dawn Patrol 5.3 at home, done me well and will use it when I get home, just to see if it's worth me getting an Fbomb and sending home. Not sure if I'll have much use for a 3.2 or 4.3 back home. Would need 5.3 at least.

Advertisement