Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family run Hotels in Galway City

Options
  • 18-10-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've a group of American's coming over in March and they are looking for a nice family run hotel in Galway, nothing too twee but these guys aren't after the "Irish experience" but want something local and not the usual franchise hotel.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Wards in Salthill is family run http://www.hostelbookers.com/hotels/ireland/galway/39490/
    The Western is right in the middle of town http://www.thewestern.ie/

Unfortunately there are not many family run hotels around anymore.
    Try some guest houses, there are loads here, hope it helps :)http://www.galway.net/acc/galwaycity/cc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

Maybe an elastic defintion of "family-run" but how about the Salthill Hotel, Glenlo Abbey, and the Ardilaun? At least they're not franchises. Flannery's is sort of a franchise but it's family-run I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Garveys in Eyre Sq is family run
    Used to work there

There are far nicer hotels in Galway though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The Skeff is owned by a family and run by a brother and sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

forumfiend wrote: »
    Maybe an elastic defintion of "family-run" but how about the Salthill Hotel, Glenlo Abbey, and the Ardilaun?.

Glenlo - renovated and converted to a hotel by the same family who still own it.

The Ardilaun - ditto.

Saltillo Hotel - the current owner upgraded it from being pretty much a dump and lives about 50 metres from its front door.

Dunno how these three could be any more family run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I don't know if the following are family run but I imagine they would satisfy the American tastes anyway

The Connemara Coast Hotel is quite luxurious and usually has turf fires and a few extra "Irish" touches. The staff are supposed to be very nice. It has lovely sea views to the rear.

If they're less well healed then Padraicins in Furbo might be nice. The website doesn't do it justice. It's a restaurant and pub downstairs with a B&B upstairs. I heard from someone who stayed there last year that it was lovely. The food is also great there and it's not a franchise. They also have turf fires etc. It overlooks a beach and there are views of Aran on clear days. It's only a couple of steps to walk down onto Furbo beach for brisk walk if they were so inclined too.

I think the sea views from these spots is quite distinctly west of Ireland. It's all wild grey choppy seas and mists in this kind of weather. It might be depressing as hell to us but then it might be what Americans see on tv and think is nice about Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wards in Lr Salthill and Anno Santo on Threadneedle Rd come to mind. They are cosy but a bit more B and B ish, they may be a
    bit twee and small for what you are seeking tho,

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Oranmore Lodge is family run and has the olde charm as well as new features

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

not sure who owns it but the Westwood Hotel is lovely - very near town (ten minute drive) very cosy, warm and welcoming, not a typical "chain" hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think the Galway Arms Inn is family run. The lad that's the manager in there seems like a nice guy too. Always walking around whistling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

what about Number 7 Cross Street - right in the heart of the town - boutique style hotel but I think they only do continental breakfasts but maybe someone can correct me on this. Very old building too I think 500 - 600 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭forumfiend

churchview wrote: »
    Dunno how these three could be any more family run?

Sorry, should have chosen my words more carefully. These are top hotels and I just assumed (not having a clue, tbh) that they are run by managers who are not part of the owning family, and I took family-run to mean something different to that.

Advertisement