Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a home wireless network

Options
  • 18-10-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Apologies if this isn't in the most suitable place, figured "Wireless" was about as close a forum as I could see. I'm looking to set up a home wireless network with the below components:
    • Netgear Wireless N-300 Router (has a Readyshare USB port)
    • Windows 7 Laptop
    • Playstation 3
    • External USB Hard Drive
    • Eircom Next Gen Broadband

The way I would like to configure it (ideally...) would be to have it as follows:
    • External Hard Drive connected to the Router directly via USB
    • Laptop able to connect to hard-drive wirelessly and stream music/video/photo etc...
    • PS3 able to pick up the wireless network and stream music/movie files from the External Hard Drive onto my TV ...

Is all of this possible, and can anyone point me in the right direction? I've tried to set it up before but have had problems getting the PS3 to detect the files on the hard-drive.

Any help or links are appreciated, I've the day off tomorrow so going to give it a bash then. At the moment all of the separate components are set up, just not linking together as one network as yet.

Thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you can connect the hdd to the router, and use your laptop to map the drive wireless to access music, picture, but from PS3 it is not possible as you can't share the drive.
    The only solution is used the DLNA service from your laptop which already have as you mentioned Win7. In PS3 you will see the logo of the Windows Media Player, and can access the drive when you share it via the DLNA.

If you are not sure what i mean let me know, i'll try to explain more when i get home and describe how it can be setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Also, PS3 wireless is terrible and gives a lot of trouble with media files disappeRing and reappearing for no apparent reason on your network. It's only wireless "g" compatible afaik so you'd have to use ur 2.4Ghz network as it wont even see the 5G network.

My point is the ps3 and wireless are not good together so you could encounter problems here and think your router is at fault when it probably isn't.

What router do you have? Wndr3300, wndr3700?

Best advice I could offer you is locate the router as close to centre of the house as possible and away from possible sources of interference. I have a Netgear wndr3700 and I found that location is crucial.

Advertisement