Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropping a Canon 24-70mm lens...

• 18-10-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine has just done this and is pretty concerned about the potential damage done. Lens was attached to body and the lens hit the tile fist, probably a couple of feet. So far it's working okay - zooming in/out okay, focusing okay etc...but there's a slight bit of damage to the top of it and it's hard to get the lens cap on/off.

What internal damage could we be looking at here? Cost much to repair?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

talk to zerohamster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thanks, I see he does repairs here. Have taken note. But from what I've said, does it sound bad? Person could do with a little reassurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

it's as good as new, nothing wrong with that lens. Get the top off a tube of Pringles and sleep tight.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Is it still working? Does it auto-focus and zoom ok and is there any debris when looking through it?

If it still works then don't worry about it. Simple as.

I recently had my 50mm 1.8 caved in. The section that moves when it focuses was at a 30-odd degree angle and there was debris visible when you looked through the lens and when you tried to use it to auto-focus it made an audible crunch. I just wrenched it to the side, straightened it all up again and it works fine now. Actually seems to focus a bit faster...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

eas wrote: »
    Get the top off a tube of Pringles and sleep tight.

;)

Exactly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Seems like the filter ring took the hit, could have been weakened the lens a bit.
    main things to look out for would be:

Are the zoom and focus functioning smoothly? (possible barrel distortion from drop)
    Is there any noticable softness on one side of the image? (possible that the front element could be pushed in slightly)

if you use filters then they probably will get stuck and be a problem to remove without smashing them.

A new filter ring would probably cost in around €40-50 for the part (id have to check tomorrow)
    but if interested in a repair PM me and Ill let you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thanks for the offer and the advice guys, got it sorted in the end. Well, it sorted itself out and is working fine. Bit of a scare though!

Advertisement