Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breach of Confidentiality???

Options
  • 18-10-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Ok, have an issue at work at the moment, and contacted H.R. Department, via e-mail, requesting documentation, and sighted Freedom of Information Act. A day or so later I got a reply from said H.R. person, telling me that she had posted the information to my Manager and I could discuss the matter with him.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but under the Freedom of Information Act, I was under the impression when you requested information it should go directly to you. The fact that she sent this documentation to my Manager, and said I could discuss the issue with him, he is now aware that I have made a request.

Is it not up to me to inform my manager if I had decided to? The issue does not relate to him. Also, at no point did I mention to H.R. that I wanted to discuss the issue with my Manager, or anyone else for that matter. I simply wanted this information for my own personal reasons.

Is what this H.R. person done not in fact a breach of confidentiality???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Ahh HR. That bastien of knowledge. I have never come accross a HR department that were anything but organisers of the Christmas party. I would not rely on them knowing anything, or even how do deal with err human resources.

What you describe doesn't surprise me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

I agree with you entirely, JimiTime. I think H.R. is in fact a gross waste of... resources.
    Our H.R. Department doesn't even stretch to party planning, really have no idea what they spend the day doing, or rather not doing, they certainly don't do their job as I understand it to be. But maybe that's just me with my unrealistically high expectations of how things should operate.
    I am really peeved with what she did, without even clearing it with me. It was something I didn't want my Manager involved in or informed about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Op, I assume it is personal information. The act you should request information under is the Data protection act.

As for info being provided to your manager.. I don't see any problem with this unless it's medical information.
    Data must be protected from unauthorised personnel, however your manager is obviously authorised to receive whatever info you are referring to!

For future reference, if you are looking for advice it helps when you're not so vague. How are people meant to help when no one really knows what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Op, I assume it is personal information. The act you should request information under is the Data protection act.

As for info being provided to your manager.. I don't see any problem with this unless it's medical information.

For future reference, if you are looking for advice it helps when you're not so vague. How are people meant to help when no one really knows what you're talking about.

Define personal information?? If you mean is it information that applies to me specifically, then yes. The information that I requested has got no relevance to my manager, or in fact to the job that I am doing, for this reason I have an issue with H.R. forwarding the information to me via a third party, and a week later I still haven't received this information.
    I didn't realise I was being 'vague'. Yes, I didn't give details about the information that I requested or the reasons why, but I don't think that information has any bearing on whether what was done was right or wrong, which was the information that I was looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Neadine wrote: »
    Define personal information?? If you mean is it information that applies to me specifically, then yes. The information that I requested has got no relevance to my manager, or in fact to the job that I am doing, for this reason I have an issue with H.R. forwarding the information to me via a third party, and a week later I still haven't received this information.
    I didn't realise I was being 'vague'. Yes, I didn't give details about the information that I requested or the reasons why, but I don't think that information has any bearing on whether what was done was right or wrong, which was the information that I was looking for.

Well, it actually does.

I don't think it's a breach of the data protection act for HR to share any information with management. It might be "bad form" and possibly even a gray area but it's not illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Well, it actually does.

I don't think it's a breach of the data protection act for HR to share any information with management. It might be "bad form" and possibly even a gray area but it's not illegal.

I would be inclined to agree. It wouldn't do too much for staff morale or positive staff relations but I have a feeling it's not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In general, you should assume that your manager has access to any and all information about you that HR have. HR are, after all, just another branch of management.

FWIW, I don't even think it's bad form: your manager is the one who's responsible for managing your relationship with the company, HR are simply the advisors and pay-clerks who help him/her to do so.

If anything, it was bad form of you to go straight to HR without asking your manager form the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

JustMary wrote: »
    In general, you should assume that your manager has access to any and all information about you that HR have. HR are, after all, just another branch of management.

FWIW, I don't even think it's bad form: your manager is the one who's responsible for managing your relationship with the company, HR are simply the advisors and pay-clerks who help him/her to do so.

If anything, it was bad form of you to go straight to HR without asking your manager form the information.

Excellant points...
    I find that particularly in larger companies the role of HR is quite misunderstood by employees...

Advertisement