Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design beginner

Options
  • 18-10-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys,

I just said I'd post here to see what kind of response I get.

Anyway I've just recently got into designing and creating websites using both photoshop and dreamweaver.
    My websites are pretty basic but I'm wondering if yous have any advice as to where to go about gaining experience?
    Is it best to make mockup websites or should I go on a site like freelancer.com and actually bid on a project?
    I am also really intersted in designing logo's and static banners and posters so I want to know how to best gain experience and build a portfolio?

Thanks for any responses:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Penrose

Try code in pure html and css for a while so you can lean the tags - don't rely on WYSIWYG programs too much as it makes you a poor coder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

have a look at doing a site for free for a voluntary group or club something basic that has a home page, a contact page, an about page easier and less hassle and they will appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Penrose wrote: »
    Try code in pure html and css for a while so you can lean the tags - don't rely on WYSIWYG programs too much as it makes you a poor coder.

FWIW Dreamweaver is an excellent web development tool that happens to have a WYSIWYG window - one window of many - it is actually possible to hand code clean semantic code in Dreamweaver without using that editor.

Don't assume someone is creating code using the WYSIWYG editor just because they are using Dreamweaver. I use Dreamweaver daily creating UIs for enterprise level software in a proper software development environment and rarely use the WYSIWYG editor.

It's not a tool for dummies, and using it won't necessarily make you a bad or lazy coder, implying it will only demonstrates a lack of understanding of the feature set of the software beyond its basic functionality.

OP - Sheesh is giving you good advice, no one on freelancer.com is going to give you work without a portfolio of previous work.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭TomPich

Hey,

It depends how far you are looking to go with your development skills? If it's just a hobby then WISIWIG is fine, basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and coding standards would be useful.

If you are looking to eventually get into the industry then hand coding skills are a must. If seems like you’re a complete beginner so the first thing you want to do is get your tools sorted, these will be essential going forward. As a start I'd ensure you have the following as a minimum:

1. Browsers. Cross browser compatibility is crucial when designing websites and different browsers render things slightly different. The key browsers you want to have installed are Firefox, IE8, Chrome and Safari. Chrome and Safari use the same engine but it's always useful to check. Eventually you'll need to look at getting a virtual machine so you can check your sites in IE7 and IE6. IE6 is in a world of its own which I'm sure some of you are aware of.

2. Tools. Firebug for firefox and Web Developer Toolbar for IE. I personally love Firebug and have it open at all times during development.

3. Text Editor. Dreamweavers text editor is fine however a lighter alternative may be useful.

4. Photoshop. All developers must be well versed in Photoshop as they are more than likely developing from a PSD.

So once you have all of your tools in place I'd begin to getting your basic HTML and CSS skills in place. I can't stress enough the importance of keeping your CSS separate from your markup. Your HTML pages should just contain the markup and all styling is to be done in the CSS (from an external file). Some people like to keep their CSS broken down into various files i.e. page specific CSS files and maybe a forms css file, layout css file, etc... This saves you from having one huge document of CSS code.

Once you have the basics in place begin to play with PSD files. Maybe download a design from the net and do your best to chop it up and build it in the browser. As your building the page justify to yourself why you are doing building certain things a certain way.

Slightly more advanced but you will want to look into progressive enhancement. E.g. You want a site to work for the most basic browser and without any Javascript and even look fluid without CSS (for accessibility purposes). However also making it fully enhanced with Javascript to give those with the more advanced browsers and plugins the optimal user experience.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 egans88

Thanks a million for the help guys and Im gonna get to work on making up some simple websites and ask around locallly to see if I can help anyone out by making them one.
    Really appreciate all the posts,

• Advertisement
Advertisement