Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Makes me mad!

Options
  • 18-10-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Few weeks ago I was listening to local radio station.
    Info is that if you are on social welfare you can get €14 per week for your dog (maintenance, dog food etc).

So..... people who had previously stated that they hated dogs..... had all of a sudden got one.

This realy p***** me off.
    The estate I live in is riddled with dogs now. I don't mind, I love dogs. But.. from what I can see is...
    The dog is just left to it's own devices and the "owner" gets the few quid a week

Correct me if I am wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

WHAT! I was entitled to money before with my fella for 2 years???? Im gonna kill someone. ha:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭bellx1

Galway K9 wrote: »
    WHAT! I was entitled to money before with my fella for 2 years???? Im gonna kill someone. ha:)

Ah but you look after yours i'd say?

I should have made the point more.....
    People get a dog.
    Claim the money.
    Neglect the dog.

Damm right i do but 14 would have helped buy hsi food when i was broke before. dam that.
    I see your point too, havent noticed it myself now but might explain why knackers have dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Rubbish. I've been on the dole for a year and a half and have never heard of any allowance for pets. Anyway, €14 would pay for all three of my dogs' feed per week.

Come to think of it, I don't think you get as much as €14 a week for a child dependentant so why would you get that for a pet?

I dunno hwo much but i did hear they give ya something for pets but didnt believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I dont think that is true...where you get the information bellx1? eg who said it and any links to prove this please!!

Looked around and turns out to be an urban myth and was discussed before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056011206

The Paws wrote: »
    I dont think that is true...where you get the information bellx1? eg who said it and any links to prove this please!!

Sorry I do not have links, I only heard it on the radio. And have also heard other people talking about it. And also clamimg it for it

Theres a guide/service dog assistance alright of 850 a year but no pets otherwise it would encourage your issue bella that people will get dogs just to get payments and mistreat them at same time.

ok, I accept all replys. But just go check it out..

• Advertisement

I did and still looking. on citizens information and Dept of Social Welfare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

me too #12 - maybe it was a mistake??

Galway K9 wrote: »
    I did and still looking. on citizens information and Dept of Social Welfare

Honestly - I heard it on 96fm which is a local Cork radio. And I have spoken to a few people who also heard it.
    I do genuinely apologise if it was not true.
    I am going to contact the radio station tomorrow and verify this once and for all

bellx1 wrote: »
    Honestly - I heard it on 96fm which is a local Cork radio. And I have spoken to a few people who also heard it.
    I do genuinely apologise if it was not true.
    I am going to contact the radio station tomorrow and verify this once and for all

I have since emailed them. Will see what they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its not true. It was discussed before on FM104 that somebody started a rumour and it got out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Ha this is not true at all,a friend told me she read it in a paper. I was in the social welfare that day so i asked, they said its absolute rubbish,her exact words were that they barely have enough money to pay for people they certainly are not paying for animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

is it the person that has to be unemployed or the dog.
    my dog hasnt worked a day so it would be good if she could start contributing to the house.

can some send me the links to the relevant forms please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I think it's handy for people who genuinely need it or for paying the pet insurance every month encase anything happens to your dog. There will always be people who abuse the system just to get an extra few quid :mad: Hopefully the dogs are not suffering though :(

Did my research (which I should have done before bringing this up)
    Most of you are right - victim of the rumour mill
    Mods, feel free to lock this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement