Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in rural roscommon

• 18-10-2010 11:15pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So what is the broadband situation now in roscommon?
    Are we ever gonna get decent broadband?
    What are people using now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    So what is the broadband situation now in roscommon?
    Are we ever gonna get decent broadband?
    What are people using now?

Bit of a broad question. What parts of roscommon? Some have it and some don't.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Rural south roscommon,brideswell,ballyforan,taughmaconnell(spelt wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 I'm

fixed line broadband - not at present and unlikely for the medium term

lastmile.ie or the NBS from three is probably your only option

very happy to be told otherwise on these points

Ya currently with last mile at the minute,just wondering what other options there are.
    Brisknet have recently come into the area too but I dunno what there like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

hope this helps.
    i live in rural mayo.
    story is 3 are doin the national broadband scheme. got the broadband stick initially, that did nt work. 3 then sent out a free booster. that did nt work. they then had to come out and throw up the satellite dish free of charge. tis ace.
    20 squid a month i m payin (for like 25gb a month i'm pretty sure)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

hope this helps.
    i live in rural mayo.
    story is 3 are doin the national broadband scheme. got the broadband stick initially, that did nt work. 3 then sent out a free booster. that did nt work. they then had to come out and throw up the satellite dish free of charge. tis ace.
    20 squid a month i m payin (for like 25gb a month i'm pretty sure)

But its still not broadband, its not suitable for any real time services like voip or online gaming. They didn't do it for free either, the government foolishly gave 3 €250 million to build a 4th phone network we don't need, when they should have invested that money in better infrastructure, get a fiber link to every town in the country, get fiber within 50 miles of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nirmind

hi im with brisknet was with the other crowd until this time last year.. they (brisknet) done an upgrade start of the year and speeds massive improvement very happy. should give them a call.

The highest they is only 2mb which is the same as last mile I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Nirmind

well i pay 34euro and after upgrade was automatically upgraded to the 2m package my last provider was 37euro for 1m and always broke down so now im payin less for more its true wot they say you pay for wot u get plus..now if i ever call the phone is answered.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 valz08

I live on lecarrow side of Curraghboy and i have eircom broadband. it was difficult and long process with them to get it but i told them i didnt want the phone line unless i could have broadband so they ran a new line from the exchange to my house. normally they would split the line at the road and send it to a couple of houses but that is only suitable for dial up. so i got broadband in the end and it was frustrating but worth the wait. unfortunately i am surrounded by hill etc and last mile and others i tried couldnt get a signal because of this.

• Advertisement

valz08 wrote: »
    I live on lecarrow side of Curraghboy and i have eircom broadband. it was difficult and long process with them to get it but i told them i didnt want the phone line unless i could have broadband so they ran a new line from the exchange to my house. normally they would split the line at the road and send it to a couple of houses but that is only suitable for dial up. so i got broadband in the end and it was frustrating but worth the wait. unfortunately i am surrounded by hill etc and last mile and others i tried couldnt get a signal because of this.

What speed are you getting with eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 valz08

i think its 1mb i know they have up to 3mb but it was a bit dearer but i have to say i am happy with the one i have quite fast too.

Advertisement