Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get out of Dublin! Help!

• 18-10-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi folks!

Earlier this year (or was it late last year...?!) I attended a show in the Grand Canal Theatre. We parked in Jurys Hotel car park. My friend drove, and to get home to the N7 she drove down to the end and crossed over the bridge, (I think at the O2) and came back up the other side, crossed O Connell bridge, and straight home. Great.

Recently I attended another show. Crossed the bridge but this time about half way up the other side I had to turn left, and with very bad direction signs, ended up eventually in Stephen's Green, eventually making our way to Dame St. and home.

Has this totally changed or what? I cant believe the powers that be would make it so difficult to find the road home! I will be going up again soon so can anyone tell me how to get back up the quays easily! Can you now come back up the side you went down and cross over further up?

Also Jurys car park now closes at 10 which doesnt help either:(

thanks!

h

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

jesus i dont mean to sound too harsh but buy a sat nav for god sake, you can get one for like €30 or if your cheap check google maps!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

OP is a woman, calling it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i hate it all

on friday at 5:35pm i was sitting on that bridge, drop of the parent and away i went straight to liffey valley shopping centre to be in work for 6pm

had to navigate around the theatre around the block and all and it was ****e traffic

and i didn't use the dual carraige way at hueston station cos i went into town that way and it was a standstill on the whole way from palmerstown to the station.

i made it to work at 6:02pm and that was including finding parking in liffey valley which was also mental but i walked in the door of the shop at 6:02pm

don't ask me how i did it !

nearly every fu*king traffic light was red at every possible junction, stuck behind a luas and had to let another cross SLOWLY for no reason !

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Im not a woman actually...:eek:

Why should I buy a sat nav when I dont meed one except when they decide to make a MAJOR change to the system. I dont have a problem finding my way at all normally, and Ive been driving to Dublin for nearly 30 years. Ive never seen a change so drastic as this!

When you come out of the theatre there are no major signs to show a new system or anything. I mean, i can understand change and improvements and all that, but the main reason I wrote in here was that I couldnt really believe that the actually had done something as major as this! Does anyone know why!!?

Or does anyone actually know if there is a simpler way to get over O Connell birdge without doing a mystery tour.....?:mad:

h

• Advertisement

hawthorn wrote: »
    Im not a woman actually...:eek:

Why should I buy a sat nav when I dont meed one except when they decide to make a MAJOR change to the system. I dont have a problem finding my way at all normally, and Ive been driving to Dublin for nearly 30 years. Ive never seen a change so drastic as this!

When you come out of the theatre there are no major signs to show a new system or anything. I mean, i can understand change and improvements and all that, but the main reason I wrote in here was that I couldnt really believe that the actually had done something as major as this! Does anyone know why!!?

Or does anyone actually know if there is a simpler way to get over O Connell birdge without doing a mystery tour.....?:mad:

h

I linked you to a google map which gives you directions.

Also may I note that Im horribly disapointed with this thread. I had hoped to find instructions on how to escape Dublin permanently! :p

Grimes wrote: »

Also may I note that Im horribly disapointed with this thread. I had hoped to find instructions on how to escape Dublin permanently! :p

i actually have to point out there would be no point getting a sat nav (cos it will be old and wrong)

also google maps is wrong... there is no right turn coming off the bridge.. you have to go left and around

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

please someone just tell me.....:)

Even if the google map (and thank you for it) was correct, its sending me up to stephens green and off a different direction I think.

I just want to go to O Connell bridge and straight home the motorway!

What actually happened anyway and why did they change it??

Im not sure but I think you can go back across the bridge to Jurys side, back up the quays the "wrong" way(!), and about halfway up cross back over, then turn right up to O Connell bridge. Im not sure and cant chance it with the car!!
    But its a strange alteration to make. Dont understand it.

thanks

h

please someone just tell me.....:)

Even if the google map (and thank you for it) was correct, its sending me up to stephens green and off a different direction I think.

What actually happened anyway and why did they change it??

Im not sure but I think you can go back across the bridge to Jurys side, back up the quays the "wrong" way(!), and about halfway up cross back over, then turn right up to O Connell bridge. Im not sure and cant chance it with the car!!
    But its a strange alteration to make. Dont understand it.

thanks

h

that google map there doesn't go near stephens green unless you mean college green.

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=N+Wall+Quay&daddr=53.344687,-6.2407524+to:53.347442,-6.2538885+to:Naas+Rd%2FN7&hl=en&geocode=FSEGLgMdnbSg_w%3BFa_5LQMdEMag_ymjf3i2kg5nSDEg6qr7pscAEw%3BFXIELgMdwJKg_ynFWTONjw5nSDEAlbf8pscAEw%3BFfB6LQMdMmye_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=3&sz=13&via=1,2&sll=53.330258,-6.326408&sspn=0.053924,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=53.328002,-6.306667&spn=0.053927,0.154324&z=13

that there should do just the job (ignore that bit at tara street.. when you get back to the quays just keep going straight and it will bring you to o connell bridge.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse here or anything but can i suggest a Luas all the way from the red cow and save the hassle ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Please don't attempt to follow these directions as it's just not possible to 1) go up some parts of the City Quay to get to Moss St, or 2) from Tara St up Townsend St.

Google Maps one way street markings are wrong.

• Advertisement

Just follow this route.

It'll be traffic-less.

close enough

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

okay, now when you come out of the theatre - there is a lane down by the side of the post office post office on one side and the maldron on the other side.

go down this lane, you come to a cross roads

take a left turn at the cross roads

you come to a set of traffic lights and a cross road

this takes you on to pearse street, take a right at these trafffic lights and follow the road down to the quay

alternatively, actually this is probably easier

come out of the threatre go left, you will come to a T- Junction

go right here and you are on pearse street and just follow the road to the quays

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

OP, go to google maps

type in at Box A Macken Street

at box B type Pearse Street

its really simple

irishbird wrote: »
    okay, now when you come out of the theatre - there is a lane down by the side of the post office post office on one side and the maldron on the other side.
    Can't they go back to Jurys for the car first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Advertisement