Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back into Gaming...

Options
  • 18-10-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

So the only game I've really played in the past 7-8 years is PES. When I played it first I immediately got addicted. Now, I want to get back into other games. I used to be a lover of metal gear solid, resident evil, GTA and the likes. The only ps3 game I've completed is MGS 4. I have xbox 360 and have access to a ps3 at weekends. Problem is anytime I sit down to play a game like RE5, GTA4 or tomb raider underworld I can't stick it for long and end up doing something else(surf the internet, watch tv etc.) Anyone else experience this before? I really want to get back into gaming again because I remember how happy I was playing them when I was younger. Any advice/tips to get back into it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Maybe you should try games you can complete quicker -- like Street Fighter 4? Or some great DLC games; N+, Castle Crashers, new Lara Croft, Braid, Limbo... They're quick, split up into different sections that you can pick up and play, and still be as good.

Or, try a different style of games; see which ya like best --

Story-based detective QTE thriller :Heavy Rain (PS3)
    Music/Rhythm game : Rock Band 2
    Stealth/Detective/Platformer/Multi-man Brawler : Batman : Arkham Asylum,
    Epic (in every sense of the word) 3D brawler/platformer : God of War 3 (PS3),
    Epic RPG/Shooter, fantastic story and branching paths/morality : Mass Effect 2
    Amazing sandbox game set in the wild west, brilliant : Red Dead Redemption,
    3rd Person Shooter; great horror thriller (Resi 4 and Aliens had a baby) : Dead Space

When I got back into gaming in 2005, i had to find what kind of games i liked best, and work around that. I'd also personally recommend watching reviews on GameTrailers, they have an extremely informative account of pretty much every game from ~2005 onwards, which'll give u a good idea if you'll enjoy the game.

I personally don't like First Person Shooters because they make me nauseous and I hate World War II "army" games. But they have the most games out at the moment; I'd recommend starting with Modern Warfare II. Watch for getting "pwned" and swore at by 10 year old americans online tho :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Cheers for the advice. I actually forgot to mention I finished heavy rain, absolutely loved the game, any more games out there with a similar theme?

The world war games never struck a chord with me, probably because I didn't give them enough of a chance. Do people still play the wrestling games when they reach 20+? I used to love them aswell, especially the multiplayer mode with friends. I reckon soccer games really did harm the interest in other games for many people, alot of my friends only play pes/fifa aswell.

Heavy Rain is kinda out there by itself in terms of game type. The makers (Quantic Dreams i think) also did Fahrenheit (aka Indigo Prophecy) back in 2005 which is quite similar but not as good, also Shenmue for the SEGA Dreamcast (dunno if it's been ported since!)

If you haven't played a wrestling game in a while you could check out the latest SmackDown, but honestly I couldn't care less about them. Truly amazing create-a-wrestler, but the actual in-game mechanics are pretty crap. Most people finish the story-mode (which'd take a few days tops) and never touch it again after the first week. Although there are some who absolutely love the games and still play 'em.

Party/casual games could be the way forward, as they're less intense, easy to pick up and less alienating to other people. Even some old-school beat-em-ups like Final Fight and Streets of Rage 1/2 would be awesome couch-co-ops :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

For short blasts of entertainment I would recommend Arcade titles...I'm in a similar position whereby I often won't finish games but I have some Arcade ones done! I regularly play Super Street Fighter 4 and FIFA for example - games with no end in sight but are good for quick doses :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If you have a 360 you could try Alan Wake, it should be sufficiently different to the others which you have played that it'll hold your attention. You should also be able to pick it up for quite cheap these days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The best two games to renew your love of gaming are Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 or New Super Mario Bros Wii.

gizmo wrote: »
    If you have a 360 you could try Alan Wake, it should be sufficiently different to the others which you have played that it'll hold your attention. You should also be able to pick it up for quite cheap these days. :)

Fav song from that game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

gizmo wrote: »
    I found Alan Wake a bit tedious. Levels were a bit too long and same enemies over and over. At least it checkpoints regularly so you can leave often.

What I do to stay focussed at times is get the table of contents of a walkthrough. So if a game has 10 chapters, I'll try clear 1 chapter per sitting. So I know how I am progressing and how close I am to the end.

Advertisement