Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

found lost or abandoned kitten in pub car park

Options
  • 19-10-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Walking to the shops tonight I was approached with a really affectionate friendly kitten. Its right beside a main road and the kitten nearly got knocked down a few times as i was watching it so thought the safest bet was to bring it home and give it a nice bed for the night and some food.

Its either lost or abandoned. Obviously we will make posters and put them up where the kitten was found in hope the owner calls but if it was abandoned we would love to keep it. She's not a stray as she is litter trained, healthy and very friendly to humans.

Thing is, we already have a female cat. We just dont know how they will get on. We know not to put them into the room together as you cant introduce a new cat that way and they are supposed to get each others smells first and know that there is another cat living in the house. how do we introduce the old cat to the new?What are the chances of them getting along in....has anyone any experience/advice on this??cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hello. Found two threads that may help you:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=239589
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054856615

Please note that they're both about 5 years old, so please post on this thread any queries, rather than "vamping" a 5 year old thread (mods generally don't like bringing very old threads "back to life").

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭i_love_toast

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If an owner doesn't turn up and you keep the cat, theres a few things you could do. There's no reason 2 female cats shouldn't get on, some cats take longer than others to get used to a new face though, so take your time.
    Get a loan of a dog crate and put the kitten in it(or a carrier of something that they see each other though), leave this in the room with you and your cat, both can see each other and sniff, but can't "get" to each other. Once you're happy with the reaction(this could take an hour or a month), open the crate and let them interact.
    Always leave them in separate parts of the house when out, at least for the first couple of months, and give the kitten a specific area to itself, away from the cat, let your existing cat have the rest of her home.
    Make an extra fuss of your cat and feed them separate at first, then in same room but far apart. then closer.

Always have more than one litter tray, at least one each, and maybe an extra one.

Do bear in mind though if the kitten is that friendly and healthy looking its probably someones pet, please try to find the owner, could be a family pet that got out.

mymo wrote: »
    If an owner doesn't turn up and you keep the cat, theres a few things you could do. There's no reason 2 female cats shouldn't get on, some cats take longer than others to get used to a new face though, so take your time.
    Get a loan of a dog crate and put the kitten in it(or a carrier of something that they see each other though), leave this in the room with you and your cat, both can see each other and sniff, but can't "get" to each other. Once you're happy with the reaction(this could take an hour or a month), open the crate and let them interact.
    Always leave them in separate parts of the house when out, at least for the first couple of months, and give the kitten a specific area to itself, away from the cat, let your existing cat have the rest of her home.
    Make an extra fuss of your cat and feed them separate at first, then in same room but far apart. then closer.

Always have more than one litter tray, at least one each, and maybe an extra one.

Do bear in mind though if the kitten is that friendly and healthy looking its probably someones pet, please try to find the owner, could be a family pet that got out.

Thats it, I myself would hate it if a family pet got out and got picked up by another family. Will be putting up posters where she was found later.

The new kitten has settled in great from the start. Was purring away once we got her into a nice cosy room with the fire going. Loves exploring around the house, loves getting petted and her belly rubbed, sat in the original cats basket by the fire for ages. but today when the new kitten was playing, we brought in our original 8 month old kitten in one of our arms and although the new kitten saw her she didnt mind. Our original kitten however started hissing pretty badly and we had to bring her out. so we're going to keep them apart for a few days and let them gradually get used to each other!

All the same however we do hope that the owner does claim her if she was not abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do you have any of those boxes for bringing the kittie on trips? Maybe put the new one in the box (with the door closed), and the old kittie on the outside, so that they get used to each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

Give it a week or two and they will be getting on like a house on fire I guarantee it!

Yeah no sign of an owner so far. Saw the kitty scratching loads and noticed flee's on her and loads of eggs on the blanket she's sleeping on so i have to confine her to the back room before those eggs get spread all around the house. Still an very very affectionate kitten. By the way what is the best way of getting rid of flee's and eggs?im guessing some kind of strong pesticide spray from a pet store?

Ive tried to feed the new kitten with the old with different bowls on the other side of the room. Our old kitten just cant eat when the new kittens in the room she just keeps staring at her while the new kitten cant get enough food down her neck. They're very very interested in each other. Our old kitten keeps making this moaning sound in her mouth when she's near the new kitten. The new kitten just sits watching her wondering what her problem is with her. If the new kitten gets close, our old one starts hissing at her or runs away. So i dont think its the old kitten is too mad that the new one is in the house i think she just feels a bit treatened by her. hopefully this should die down by getting them used to each other in the same room for a few minutes each day!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

The new kitten is probably too young to use any chemicals on, so you won't be able to rid her of fleas like that. I had a flea problem with one of mine and tried combing them out, but they still stayed on. The only thing that worked was giving her a bath (not fun for me or her :eek:).
    First thing to do is use a baby shampoo and make a ring of it around her neck. This will stop the fleas running to her face when her body is wet.
    Then when she'd all wet massage in more baby shampoo all over. Here's the tricky part--you have to keep massaging in the shampoo for 5minutes!! Then rinse her well and bundle her up in a towel and keep her warm. Some of the dead fleas may still be on her, I had to go over my little one with a tweasers taking them off her. I know it's not the easiest way, but it really worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mymo wrote: »
    If an owner doesn't turn up and you keep the cat
    Just on this, I'm not sure if it's the same for cats and dogs, but if you find an animal which has no identification on it, you should notify the local Garda station, your local pound and your local SPCA.

If you don't notify them, but simply stick up posters and notices, then the owner has a year and day to come forward and claim their animal. At which point you may have rehomed it or kept it and fallen in love.

If you notify the local pound & Garda station, the animal is legally your property if the owner fails to come forward after five days.

actually didn't know that. but I will do. Just really brought it home because of the extremely cold nights were getting these weeks and also she was beside a main road and didnt want her to get knocked down. Thanks for the info though.

• Advertisement

The new kitten is probably too young to use any chemicals on, so you won't be able to rid her of fleas like that. I had a flea problem with one of mine and tried combing them out, but they still stayed on. The only thing that worked was giving her a bath (not fun for me or her :eek:).
    First thing to do is use a baby shampoo and make a ring of it around her neck. This will stop the fleas running to her face when her body is wet.
    Then when she'd all wet massage in more baby shampoo all over. Here's the tricky part--you have to keep massaging in the shampoo for 5minutes!! Then rinse her well and bundle her up in a towel and keep her warm. Some of the dead fleas may still be on her, I had to go over my little one with a tweasers taking them off her. I know it's not the easiest way, but it really worked!

Ive actually read about that and i think ill give it a go. Im just afraid that the eggs might still stay alive and re-infest her. But i think this is the best option so far if she cant use chemicals. I got a flee collar but have learned that there not very effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

The only thing that worked was giving her a bath (not fun for me or her :eek:).

Ah yes... the cat bath :D
    wrote:
    Some people have the misconception that cats never have to be bathed. That somehow they "lick" themselves clean. Well contrary to this popular belief, cats do NOT have some enzyme in their saliva that resembles Tide (with or without bleach).

Cats, like their nemesis, the dog, do get dirty and have a variety of odors, from smelling like the outhouse where you camped last year to the same odor as your dog's breath. (Remember, your dog will try to eat anything.) Now we all know that cats HATE water. And we know that giving the cat a sedative to ease this process of a bath is out of the question.

So, the best approach is both sneaky and direct. Remember now, this is not the dumb dog who can be led to tub with lies and a trail of Kibbles and Bits.

Although your cat has the advantage of smarts, quickness and total lack of concern for you, you have the advantage of size, strength, and the ability to wear protective garments.

1. First, dress for the occasion. A 4-ply rubber wet suit is suggested, along with a helmet, face mask and welders gloves.

2. A Bathtub with a glass enclosure is preferred to the one with a shower curtain. A frenzied cat can shred one of these in about 3.5 seconds.

3. Have the Kitty Bubbles and towel in the enclosed bathtub area before hand. No, blow drying the cat after the bath is not suggested.

4. Draw the water, making it a little warmer than needed as you still need to find the cat. Position everything strategically in the shower, so you can reach it even if you are face down or prone in the tub.

5. Find your cat. Use the element of surprise. Pick the cat up, nonchalantly as if you were simply carrying him/her to the supper dish. No need to worry about the cat noticing your strange attire, the cat barely notices you anyway.

6. Once you and the cat are inside the bathroom, speed is essential. In one single liquid motion, shut the door to the bathroom, step into the shower, close the sliding doors, and drop the cat into the water. While the cat is still in a state of shock, locate the Kitty Bubbles and squirt whatever part of him is above the water line. You have just begun the wildest 45 seconds of your life. Remember that cats have no handles and add the fact that he now has soapy fur. His state of shock has worn off and he's madder than a wet hornet.

7. As best, you can, wearing welder's gloves, try to field his body as he catapults through the air toward the ceiling. If possible, give another squirt of Kitty Bubbles with his body now fully exposed.

8. During the 5 seconds you are able to hold onto him, rub vigorously. No need to worry about rinsing. As he slide down the glass enclosure into the tub, he will fall back into the water, rinsing himself in the process.

9. Only attempt the lather and rinse process about 3 times. The cat will realize the lack of traction on the glass by then and will use the next attempt on the first available part of you.

10. Next, the cat must be dried. No, this is NOT the easiest part. By this stage, you are worn out and the cat has just become semi-permanently affixed to your right leg. We suggest here that you drain the tub and in full view of your cat. reach for the bottle of Kitty Bubbles.

11. If you have done step 10 correctly, the cat will be off your leg and hanging precariously from your helmet. Although this view of the cat is most disgusting, he will be in a much better position for wrapping the towel around him.

12. Be sure cat is firmly wrapped in towel before opening tub enclosure. Open bathroom door, put towel wrapped cat on floor and step back quickly, into tub, if possible, Do not open enclosure until all you can see is the shredded towel.

13. In about 2 hours it will be safe to exit the bathroom. Your cat will be sitting out there somewhere looking like a small hedgehog while plotting revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

simillar thing happened to me a couple of months ago, found lost/abandoned kitten and nobody claimed him. He was filthy and covered in fleas. Our vet gave him a spray thats suitable for kittens under 12 weeks. Our vet didnt charge us but cant say the same for others. Give your vet a call and see maybe

Advertisement