Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for new Degu cage , any suggestions ?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All,
    Am looking for a new cage suitable for degus. They need an all metal cage, as will happily nibble through any plastic platforms!
    I've had degus for about 7 years now and am on my 4th cage. Thankfully I've had a very suitable all metal cage for about 4 years.It's three stories high, i've added two large wheels and wodden ledges & it seems to suit them fine.
    However, it's really showing it's age now, with some of the lower level metal becoming rusty.I can't find anything suitable on Irish online pet shops . I found an almost perfect on on Amazon.co.uk but they don't ship to Ireland.
    My degus ( mother & daughter ) are 6 & 4 1/2 years old now so want to keep them comfy as they get older! Daddy Degu- my original, died just after daughter was born- awh :-(
    Thanks, would really appreciate any help you could offer :) !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Maxi Zoo in Naas has some nice cages suitable for degus. You could give them a call:

http://www.maxizoo.ie/naas.html

I found a few sellers on Amazon who would ship cages to Ireland. Zooplus.ie might be useful too.

I wanted to get Degus, but just have too many pets at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

http://adverts.ie/282830

That guy is selling the same one I have. Its got metal at the bottom which stops them nibbling thru. You'd have to take out the plastic bits and replace it with wood or metal shelves but it works perfectly.

Nothing like coming downstairs in the morning to see your degus pulling off the great escape!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Does zooplus.co.uk have anything suitbale.
    Or mabey there's a non toxic paint you can get to cover the rust or paint the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

**Vai** wrote: »

Nothing like coming downstairs in the morning to see your degus pulling off the great escape!

I had a home made one, made from a big heavy blanket box and wire, still managed to chew through the wood. Will never forget the look on my mother's face as she announced that the biggest mouse she ever saw was just sitting up on top of her in bed looking at her bold as brass when she woke up. It didn't even run away when she screamed at it, she had to try and get it off by flapping the blanket about and then it just sat on the floor and still didn't care.

She's always been terrified of mice and in her panic 'forgot' that we even had degus :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 april99

Thank you all for ur replies- sorry don't know how to add at the bottom of ur mails !
    Nothing suitable on Zooplus unfortunately ( only all metal one has massive doors that I think my girls would wander out of as I put in fresh food etc !)Will keep looking at more websites in UK & give Maxizoo a call. The original cage I think has gone past getting a paint job but thanks for the imput anyway:-)
    Thanks again, will let u know what I find.

April .

Advertisement