Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had no interest in this game but with all the talk and a few mates picked it up, im getting tempted

KalEl88 wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to beat Shao Kahn with Raiden in story mode???

I'm no expert, but have you tried building meter like a mofo instead of using enhanced moves or breakers, teleporting behind him lots for uppercuts/torpedoes and trying to play for landing an xray? Combo into your X-ray off front punch, back punch works i think (i stand to be corrected) so maybe hit training mode and practice teleporting then doing that straight away till you're happy?

You could also try using jump kick>torpedo lots if you want to play from mid range, torpedo is a free hit after you land the jump kick if you do it fast and it's good damage for a 2 hitter, but being that close to him is dangerous cos of his p*xy shoulder charge. He doesn't jump, so you don't have to worry about air to air stuff, just time your jump ins carefully to be countering him instead of attacking.

I would have thought raiden had a few options against him because of his mobility/teleport speed? Ideally you want to stay as far away from him as possible and play a "get in quick, hammer him, leg it away, repeat" game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

KalEl88 wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to beat Shao Kahn with Raiden in story mode???

I beat him fairly quickly. Teleport, uppercut, torpedo all the way! It's all about attacking while he's vulnerable, directly after he misses an attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

krudler wrote: »
    Am getting my ass kicked in story mode on the tag team matches, was fighting Cyrax and Sektor last night, beat em but took like 5 attempts, gah.

Only 5? Wait until you get those bouth sorcerers.... You will cry! Wait for ermac, bosses, kintaro and that sho-can? You will want to cut wrists....

I nearly landed controller in to wall few
    Times already...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I am absolutely loving this game, finished storymode and giving the challenge tower a blast, up to 75 so far. I heard the top prize is a bit of a letdown though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I just beat
    Jax, Stryker & Kabal
    as Raiden in the story mode. Straight after the PS3 froze so now I have to do it again. Argh!!!!!

Wait until you get those..sorcerers.... You will cry!

Just beat
    Shang Tsung
    And
    Quan Chi
    last night. What a pair of cheap m*therf*kers. Then i beat
    shao kahn for what felt like the umpteenth time, and won the tournament (again)
    but, as usual
    it wasn't the end of the game

Shao Khan was a cheap b*stard no matter what i tried to do, when he corners you with those unblockable moves it's game over. Eventually i just spammed low fireballs and chipped him to death from the other side of the screen and he chump just sat there and took it like a chump :D
    finished storymode and giving the challenge tower a blast, up to 75 so far. I heard the top prize is a bit of a letdown though..

it's
    mileena's flesh pits costume from story mode. Basically it's her wearing a small bit of electrical tape.
    Not really a worthy prize for all the hassle involved in doing the 300 challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭AllYourBass

Challenge 300 has me chewing on my controller in frustration!
    Goro, Kintaro and Shao Kahn with one health bar?! GLAAAARGH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Challenge 300 has me chewing on my controller in frustration!
    Goro, Kintaro and Shao Kahn with one health bar?! GLAAAARGH!!
    lulz you're going to be pissed when
    Mileena shows up after kintaro

lulz you're going to be pissed when
    Mileena shows up after kintaro

Yes. Yes I will. Time to save up the kredits, or real monies for a new Xbox after I hock my old one through the window due as a result of one hundred or so fails!

• Advertisement

what character are you using??? you could always use the amazingly cheap method.....

what character are you using??? you could always use the amazingly cheap method.....

I tried the
    Stryker pistol spam
    but
    Goro and Kintaros jumping quake move scupper that
    . If I was playing properly I'd use Kung Lao. But this cheap method intrigues me, do tell. Needs must, and all....

I used that method and it worked perfect. As did smoke for me as iirc his smoke ball hits. oh you get a health regen after the third character i think. Been a few days since I've done it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Anyone recommend a cheap place to pick this up? Wasn't planning on getting it but now I think I might have to. Don't mind ordering it online either.

Edit: for PS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

his flying push thing goes under the spear

A well-timed sweep manages to duck under his hammer throw with some characters. Not sure if it works with everyone though.

jumping the hammer is easier than trying to sweep if he's spamming

I find sweeping a bit handier myself. Due to my own reaction times more so than anything else. That hammer's usually on me before I think of jumping, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Am I the only one who thinks that once you figure out Shao Khan he's easy as hell? Even on expert?
    Jump the hammer and immediately fling a projectile or whatever you want, duck/jump over or block the spears, block the **** out of every other move, break out of his throws if he gets too close and attack whenever there's an opening while keeping an eye out for his x-ray.
    Peasy.

Have beaten him with pretty much everybody so far. I know ladies, I know. Form a queue.

Am I the only one who thinks that once you figure out Shao Khan he's easy as hell? Even on expert?
    Jump the hammer and immediately fling a projectile or whatever you want, duck/jump over or block the spears, block the **** out of every other move, break out of his throws if he gets too close and attack whenever there's an opening while keeping an eye out for his x-ray.
    Peasy.

Have beaten him with pretty much everybody so far. I know ladies, I know. Form a queue.

Pretty much the tactics I've been using, yeah. I wouldn't say easy as hell, but certainly a lot handier than I originally thought. I also
    use a hell of a lot of cross-up combos on him too.

• Advertisement

This is just ****. I think I broke my controller by bashing it to the ground in rage. 1h of fighting with last boss.

Bull****. Good game, but the worst ever boss disegn in gaming history.

There is no fair, there are no tactics. It's just abusing one ar ather move and pray. Ofc when you win your first match your opponent becomes magically imposible. He will pin you in wall and just good game then. Or open windows which you used become impossible, because he magically knows your location and what will you do...

Seriuosly, how could they do such a great game and such bullahit bosses. Holy **** I haven't been so frustrate in ages!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

This is just ****. I think I broke my controller by bashing it to the ground in rage. 1h of fighting with last boss.

There is no fair, there are no tactics. It's just abusing one ar ather move and pray. Ofc when you win your first match your opponent becomes magically imposible. He will pin you in wall and just good game then. Or open windows which you used become impossible, because he magically knows your location and what will you do...

Seriuosly, how could they do such a great game and such bullahit bosses. Holy **** I haven't been so frustrate in ages!!!!!

I thought this type of behaviour from the final boss was par for the course with Mortal Kombat.

You haven't play Ninja Gaiden have you??

Boss battles are supposed to piss you off.

You haven't play Ninja Gaiden have you??

Boss battles are supposed to piss you off.

Boss fights have to challenge you, not to piss you off in pure unfair fight. I am not talking about bosses with patterns, I am talking about pure piss taking.

Boss fights have to challenge you, not to piss you off in pure unfair fight. I am not talking about bosses with patterns, I am talking about pure piss taking.
    he has a pattern. Cheap tactics ftw

he has a pattern. Cheap tactics ftw

I used teleport and hook. If I win game then next one he just hits me before I even teleport. I tried it again while he does some move so he got a cd, but then he ignores my hit. So many times he just slams me I the corner and it's good game, can't do ****.

If I hear that "trrrrrrrrrfff" shoulder sous again I will scream!

I used teleport and hook. If I win game then next one he just hits me before I even teleport. I tried it again while he does some move so he got a cd, but then he ignores my hit. So many times he just slams me I the corner and it's good game, can't do ****.

If I hear that "trrrrrrrrrfff" shoulder sous again I will scream!

electric bolt and flying push from the far side of the screen.

electric bolt and flying push from the far side of the screen.

Cheers m8. I'll try it. Not now thought as I am pissed of beyond believe. Watching some father ted to calm down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a good play of the single player last night in a friends house. I'm more of a street fighter player and think that the MK series is pretty much a joke and always has been. However I never thought I'd say this but MK seems really good. The single player campaign is excellent and as a multiplayer game I actually see this being quite well balanced. A few quibbles like the fact that combos are dial a combos and I just hate block buttons in 2D fighters but I came away thinking I'll buy it when it's cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A few quibbles like the fact that combos are dial a combos and I just hate block buttons in 2D fighters but I came away thinking I'll buy it when it's cheap.

If I had to summarise my current thoughts on this game, it'd sound a lot like this. I'll buy it when it's cheap, but block buttons are just not for me. :P

ATM I'm enjoying watching tourney play.

Advertisement