Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Know where to get a qualty second hand saw?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

I need to get a clearing saw and the price of a new one is 650 or higher and I can't justify spending so much on a saw no matter how much I'd like one. Im looking at husky 346 xp, stil ms 260 or jonsered cs 2153. They are all pro saws I know but for the non pro ones with the same power and a 1/3 more kgs again there is less than 200 euro difference in price. So I might aswell get a propper one and and make work a little kinder on my back.
    I have looked on the web but I would rather start and run a saw before handing over cash because it looked ok in a picture. (always seem to be abroad)
    Do any of ye know where to get a good second hand one ?
    Thank for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What kind of clearing and cutting will you be doing mostly? I have a couple of stihls and ya wont beat them;) Make sure ya don;t make the mistake most farmers make and buy a saw too big. The lighter the better. It's all about the sharpening...! Huskies are hard start and tune, partners are finnicky little saws. STihls are reliable with ample speed and torque. However if ya have your heart set on a husky, check out the oleo mac, they have or had the same engine with different casing is all ;) I bought a stihl ms180 a couple years ago for a tree topping and it's the saw that gets the most use now for felling chopping and clearing, it's light as feather and wicked fast. Ya can get them ported if ya want extra power but not really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I already have the big saw for felling and cutting up stumps but its too heavy for clearing up the small stuff after a tree is down, the 2" and smaller diameter tangle that stops you getting at the timber.
    I'd rather a husqvarna ( thats what I have now) as the 346 xp has a lot of fans and is the cheapest of the three I'v listed. I'm not fussy though a saw is a tool at the end of the day and I just need a good one thats not going to break the bank or my back.:)

Advertisement