Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling insulation

• 19-10-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

The ceiling of a roof innour house has no insulation in it. Trouble is, I can't get any insulation in there without tearing down the ceiling and starting again. It is a small extension room, so there is just a tiled roof above and no attic space.

So wondering if anyone has an alternative suggestion? For example, are there insulation boards which could be attached to the existing ceiling? I would lose a few inches in ceiling height, but the ceiling is higher than normal already.

It just might be a better solution than tearing down what is there- does something like this exist?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Is this extension external? If so, might it be possible to remove some facia board from the outside, allowing access to the space between the ceiling joists? Make sure you determine which way the joists run in order to take off the right facia, allowing access at the ends of each joist, revealing the spaces between. Get my drift. Then fibreglass insulation cut to width could be inserted, but wear protection, gloves etc. as it's itchy stuff. Otherwise, blown insulation is a possibility, needing only some small openings to get access. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Use warmboard sheeting on this and it will work a treat. They are a plasterboard sheet attached to a polyurethane foil backed layer. They are availble in various thicknesses and when installed correctly and skimmed over they will greatly assist in retaining the heat in this particular area.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭macuser56

Thanks. Great ideas.

The blown insulation might be an idea as I think I can get at small gaps from current attic. In the lower corner there are gaps leading to the extension roof. There is not enough room to push fiberglass or conventional insulation in. Any ideas on where I get the blown insulation?

The idea from builditwell is also good and what I was originally looking at. Anyone know if there is a board I can put up which is finished and does not need plastering afterwards? Not sure if such a thing exists.

Thanks so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

whatever u put up will have to be finished. You could get the slabs tapped and jointed instead of a complete skim and use a dry lining paint to get a good surface finish that way. Although a skim would be better for finish and air tightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

macuser56 wrote: »
    Thanks. Great ideas.

The blown insulation might be an idea as I think I can get at small gaps from current attic. In the lower corner there are gaps leading to the extension roof. There is not enough room to push fiberglass or conventional insulation in. Any ideas on where I get the blown insulation?

The idea from builditwell is also good and what I was originally looking at. Anyone know if there is a board I can put up which is finished and does not need plastering afterwards? Not sure if such a thing exists.

Thanks so much.

You cant just pack the space with insulation. There must be at least a 50mm free air space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement