Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eamonn Dunphy

• 19-10-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I was just watching the new series of Reeling in the Years there and one of the segments was about people who bought Eircom shares back in 2000 thinking they were a sure thing then they dropped 30% straight away and there was Eamonn leading the protests because he'd invested, it reminded me of not so long ago when he was screaming and crying on the Late Late because he'd pumped a fortune into Anglo and seen it go up in smoke aswell.

Someone should explain to him that the value of an investment can go down as well as up, its really not that hard to understand. It does give a good peek into the mindset of someone like him though, an arrogant moron who cant accept that he could have possibly made a mistake, it has to have been someone else.

Anyway, I hate Eamonn Dunphy, your thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

hes a ride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A gent, a fine football anylsyst and top journalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Thargor wrote: »
    I was just watching the new series of Reeling in the Years there and one of the segments was about people who bought Eircom shares back in 2000 thinking they were a sure thing then they dropped 30% straight away and there was Eamonn leading the protests because he'd invested, it reminded me of not so long ago when he was screaming and crying on the Late Late because he'd pumped a fortune into Anglo and seen it go up in smoke aswell.

Someone should explain to him that the value of an investment can go down as well as up, its really not that hard to understand. It does give a good peek into the mindset of someone like him though, an arrogant moron who cant accept that he could have possibly made a mistake, it has to have been someone else.

Anyway, I hate Eamonn Dunphy, your thoughts?

how?

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

The finances of an average pundit don't really interest me tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

"Wayne Rooney is the greatest player since Maradona" - Dunphy 09.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

I prefer to listen to pundits who actually have done something in the game... Not some two-bit crank who was once a reserve at Man Utd and thinks he knows it all.

He's a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

He once bunked off work from the Irish press claiming to be sick only to be pictured waiting for a bus by the very same paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

gaa-stalwart-dunphy.jpg

Big pimpin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

d.anthony wrote: »
    I prefer to listen to pundits who actually have done something in the game

really? im partial to being entertained by pundits

i watch the game, i know what i see, i dont need some bloke to tell me what i just saw. im well capable of analyzing all that myself. what im not capable of is some of the absolute gems dunphy comes out with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An absolute hero and probably the cleverest troll going. Couldn't say a bad word about him.

• Advertisement

When I take off my football fan hat and replace it with my entertainment helmet I love him. But as xavi says...he's a troll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

gaa-stalwart-dunphy.jpg

Big pimpin'

Katie french was savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

An utter spoofer, albeit a charismatic and entertaining one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

stovelid wrote: »
    An utter spoofer, albeit a charismatic and entertaining one.

To use one of his own words, he's a cod.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

A total troll, but is totally entertaining at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He will be sorely missed whenever he quits RTE. One of the highlights of the Champions League. His outbursts against Man Utd and Liverpool in particular are legendary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

He once bunked off work from the Irish press claiming to be sick only to be pictured waiting for a bus by the very same paper.

Maybe he was getting the bus home ? I don't really like him but when he's talkin about a team that you don't support it does be kind of funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

"Arsene Wenger should be shot"

One of my favourite lines from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I prefer to listen to pundits who actually have done something in the game... Not some two-bit crank who was once a reserve at Man Utd and thinks he knows it all.

He's a clown.

Like Alan Hansen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

its entertainment and he is entertaining!

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    Like Alan Hansen?

I don't mind him?

Gilesy is one of my heroes and the Dunph is a laugh but I don't think anybody could call them well researched and incisive pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Just to correct the OP, I listened to his radio show at the time, he said that he didn't buy any eircom shares. He and Shane Ross led the protest.

I've always liked him, I'd take his soccer analysis over Alan Shearer's any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Just to correct the OP, I listened to his radio show at the time, he said that he didn't buy any eircom shares. He and Shane Ross led the protest.

I've always liked him, I'd take his soccer analysis over Alan Shearer's any day of the week.

Can't stand him on the telly - he's far too aware of his notoriety and courts it by continuously making inane statements. However, his radio show is top notch. So Eamonn Dunphy = Pat Kenny.

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't mind him?

Gilesy is one of my heroes and the Dunph is a laugh but I don't think anybody could call them well researched and incisive pundits.

Giles annoys me,he doesnt really say anything interesting at all.His section on off the ball is so boring,nothing controversial or unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Giles annoys me,he doesnt really say anything interesting at all.His section on off the ball is so boring,nothing controversial or unusual.

He is just taking each game on it's merits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭d.anthony

orourkeda wrote: »
    Like Alan Hansen?

Em, no? Alan Hansen won eight league titles and 3 European cups, and when you listen to his analysis on defence he's usually spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hes a rebel and he stands up to bullies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Hes a rebel and he stands up to bullies.

Horse****. He is a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

An impostor

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

flas wrote: »

I don't don't subscribe to this view, I think Niall Quinn Eamon Dunphy is a creep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

flas wrote: »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre!" - Eamonn Dunphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He will be all over the Rooney saga tonight with echoes of doom for Man Utd. Should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If he wants to be a top, top analyst, to be up there with the Messis, the Harringtons, The Ruby Walshes, the David Villas, the Stewart Lees, the Graeme McDowells and the Mourinhos of this world - at the top of his profession, to be world class in his field - he has to eulogise more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

he is defending wayne no end...the words '2 men' and 'gay sex' come to mind...in eamon's infamous words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Rooney IS being greedy Eamonn. It doesn't matter what Yaya Toure or Tevez are making. No other club in the world can pay those kind of wages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

LowOdour wrote: »
    he is defending wayne no end...the words '2 men' and 'gay sex' come to mind...in eamon's infamous words
    But one of the '2 men' isn't there.
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

But one of the '2 men' isn't there.
    :confused:
    I didnt say it was currently happening :confused

Dunphy being found out now for what he is. Well done Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Liam Brady completely owned him there.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

What was said?

If you look at his piece on the RTE site today he even contradicts himself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

He abused him by playing him in the second Bayern game and he abused him by resting him against West Brom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's playing a blinder tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Fuhrer wrote: »
    He abused him by playing him in the second Bayern game and he abused him by resting him against West Brom

Ha, exactly the bit I laughed at.

ABUSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He's a clown.

Far too many ex-professionals get a cushy retirement from football by appearing on tv spouting inanities. Much rather have Dunphy who actually has an opinion that causes a reaction than any of those clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Fromvert wrote: »
    A gent, a fine football anylsyst and top journalist.

Where's the punchline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People are STILL falling for his schtick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"Ronaldo is a cod".

Dunphy a few years ago.Now I'm no fan of Ronaldo (either of them, but Dunphy was talking bout the non-fat one) but he was way wrong there.

But he was right in 1990. Ireland played ****e football despite having great players, but that was when Irish football was being hijacked by the ole ole/you'll never beat the Irish/win or lose we'll party tosser brigade. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

He may be an eejitt but he's a god amongst analysists when compared to Jamie Redknapp, lineker and co. And he's definately ghost writing Rooneys next book.

greendom wrote: »
    Far too many ex-professionals get a cushy retirement from football by appearing on tv spouting inanities.

Dunphy does spout inanities if you assess his job as being to offer well-researched opinions on football and players. His inanities are perceived to be entertaining though so essentially the difference between himself and Alan Shearer is that he is funny. Their objective worth as pundits is roughly the same.

@Zebra3: I'll also always admire him for attempting to puncture the Ole party with rational analysis in 1990. The vilification he suffered was disgusting and should never be forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

He may be an eejitt but he's a god amongst analysists when compared to Jamie Redknapp, lineker and co. And he's definately ghost writing Rooneys next book.

Lineker's not an analyst. He's a presenter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement