Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving jobs when sponsored.

Options
  • 19-10-2010 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

Hi guys looking for a bit of advice on a potential job move.

I’m working for a company at the moment here that have sponsored me but the problem is I don’t really enjoy the work I am doing and am unsure if there is any chance of advancement within the company. I took the job originally thinking I would be here only for a year but with the state of things at home think Ill be here a while longer and don’t want to be stuck in a boring dead end job. Depending on a meeting I’m having in a day or so I may be looking at leaving the company and finding another job.

This brings me to my questions.

If I go for interviews should I be up front with the companies I am going to about needing to be sponsored or should I wait until offered a job before mentioning that I will need to be sponsored?

Should I bother saying anything about the sponsorship at all or just tell them that in 3 and a half years time (after my current sponsorship runs out) they will then need to sponsor me if they want me to stay.

I know that I technically have only 1 month to find a company that is willing to sponsor me before having to leave the country if I change jobs but will what they don’t know not hurt me?

Any advise would be gratefully received!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Doc wrote: »

I’m working for a company at the moment here that have sponsored me but the problem is I don’t really enjoy the work I am doing and am unsure if there is any chance of advancement within the company. I took the job originally thinking I would be here only for a year but with the state of things at home think Ill be here a while longer and don’t want to be stuck in a boring dead end job. Depending on a meeting I’m having in a day or so I may be looking at leaving the company and finding another job.

If I go for interviews should I be up front with the companies I am going to about needing to be sponsored or should I wait until offered a job before mentioning that I will need to be sponsored?

Should I bother saying anything about the sponsorship at all or just tell them that in 3 and a half years time (after my current sponsorship runs out) they will then need to sponsor me if they want me to stay.

I know that I technically have only 1 month to find a company that is willing to sponsor me before having to leave the country if I change jobs but will what they don’t know not hurt me?

Hi doc, the bit in bold is incorrect, you can actually get another company to take over your 457 visa, from what my friends are going through it's a pretty similar deal, nominate position, apply for sponsorship etc.
    Technically you can just swap employers and stay on same visa.

If looking for jobs, be upfront and honest, I know from personal experience if someone hid the fact that they need a visa until the last minute I would be pretty annoyed.

Some companies simply won't/can't sponsor, so no point wasting your or their time if this is the case.

if changing companies I think only step 1 and step 2 apply here
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/how-to-apply.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Doc wrote: »

This is wrong mate, when you leave a company you are no longer sponsered. There is no such thing as a company 'taking over' sponsership, you must go through the whole thing again fees and all.

If you are going for interviews you should tell them exactly what you need and your situation. You may not like your current job but id stick with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I've had plenty of painful experience with the above over the last couple of weeks. The above posts are partially correct. The only thing that is different from the initial sponsorship is that you're automatically eligible for sponsorship, that is not taken away from you when you quit. The new company just needs to be eligible to sponsor and then nominate a position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Some conflicting info here. Can someone clarify?

The procedure changed in September 2009 to favour the nominee, that may be the source of some of the confusion.
    From 14 September 2009, 457 visa holders who wish to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa) will not be required to apply for a new Subclass 457 visa.
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/how-the-visa-works.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 thecandle

^hmm, interesting...does this mean your 4 years doesn't start afresh? As in if you've done 2 years, then move, do you only get 2 years with the new employer since it's the 'same' visa?

I'm currently on my 2nd sponsorship...current company took mine over from the old crowd in June '08, giving me 4 years until June '12

I was upfront with recruiters telling them not to waste my time unless a company was willing to take over my sponsorship, that was the condition under which I would consider moving

Yeah, you stay on the current visa so your end date stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pygmypossum

Hey Doc
    I am going through this process at the moment. I have just been offered a job with another company and they are willing to take over my sponsorship. I am changing jobs in a months time. This means I stay on the same visa (same time frame applies) and although I do not have to do anything, apparently the company must put forward the nomination details to the immigration department (according to a call I made today to immigration department). I have a friend also who has recently changed positions on this visa with out any issues.
    I would highly recommend being upfront on your cover letter when applying for jobs as to your visa status - all you have to do is say what visa you are on and when it expires. It will save your time and well as potential employers and that is not a bad thing. Also stay put in your job until you find another job, especially coming up to Christmas when things can slow down on the recruitment front - not alot happens here in December (trust me I am speaking from experience! I arrived in Oz early December nearly two years ago...it wasn't until January that things started to happen...)

thecandle...yes, you would only get two years then with that employer. However I believe you can apply for another sponsorship visa if desired. Also when you have been sponsored for two years (one year with the same employer) you can then go for residency.

I will be chatting to my new employer next week, I will post here if anything new comes up!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

hi pygmypossum,

Cheers for the info. Im on my 457 sponsorship a yr now and I really wanna try get my permanent residency sorted. Just to give me some security here. I'm in no rush back home at the moment. My boss is European and he's all up for me getting my residency sorted as well. I'm hearing all different rumors about how long you need to be sponsored before applying.
    One person told me a yr, another 18 months and your saying 2yrs. Do you know of any doc's on it. The immi websites drives me crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

coldfeet wrote: »
    hi pygmypossum,

Cheers for the info. Im on my 457 sponsorship a yr now and I really wanna try get my permanent residency sorted. Just to give me some security here. I'm in no rush back home at the moment. My boss is European and he's all up for me getting my residency sorted as well. I'm hearing all different rumors about how long you need to be sponsored before applying.
    One person told me a yr, another 18 months and your saying 2yrs. Do you know of any doc's on it. The immi websites drives me crazy

think it is a much quicker process when applying onshore, a friend of mine is doing the same as you, he is on 457 & employers are backing his permanent residency application, going to take 3 to 6 months. You will lose your LAFHA once you apply for permanent residency - lost mine last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Coldfeet Its at least 2 years or you will need a skills assessment.

You need at least 1 year with your current employer if you swapped employers.

** it's all there in Booklet 5

The immigration website sure is hard work!:D

Below is a link on one option available...moving from a 457 to sponsored residency...
    http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/eligibility-employee-subclass-856.htm

You can also go directly to sponsored residency from...say a WHV...however that residency is dependent on staying with your employer for at least three years (this was the visa I was going to get initially but I became commitment-phobic and opted for the 457!)

And finally, if your occupation is on the skills shortage list, and you pass the points test, you can apply for the offshore independent skilled visa...apparently once you have all the paperwork and requirements met, you can submit it here in Australia (and stay on your 457 in the meantime)...once it is accepted you will receive a letter stating that the department is ready to grant your visa (all going well) and you just need to leave Australia and reenter to activate the visa...

If I am wrong about any of this please feel free to correct me...but I do believe the above is correct...mind you it does all depend on your individual circumstances...

Best of luck Doc...

I have met my new employer and HR is arranging everything for me in regards to continuing my sponsorship with them, yipee! I don't have to do anything, so it is very straight forward once your new employer can meet the Nomination requirements.

You can also go directly to sponsored residency from...say a WHV...however that residency is dependent on staying with your employer for at least three years (this was the visa I was going to get initially but I became commitment-phobic and opted for the 457!)

Thats absolutely not true.

I been through the process and there is no immigration condition on ENS 856 to stay with sponsoring employer. Nothing more than urban myth, the employer just offers employment for 3 years and you accept that employment but you are not bound by it. Nowhere does it say in booklet 5 you are bound to stay with your employer for 3 years or your visa will be revoked.

You could leave after a few months if you want, once you are a PR you are are PR.

On ENS visa label in my passport

CLASS BW RESIDENT P<<<
    SUB CLASS 856
    CONDITIONS MIG.REGS.SCHED.8

NIL

If you signed a contract as part of the sponsoring process for 3 years I suppose the employer could claim back any money spent on the sponsoring process but you definitely wont be kicked out of the country. There was a whole thread on this on another forum and 2 MARA agents said the same thing.

I think you might be thinking of RSMS subclass 857 visa where if you leave the regional area your visa can be revoked, this visa uses the same forms as ENS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Cheers for clearing a lot of that up for me.

Im off to get booklet 5. Cant wait to grab a cup of tea and pour over it for the wknd. :D

coldfeet wrote: »
    Cheers for clearing a lot of that up for me.

Im off to get booklet 5. Cant wait to grab a cup of tea and pour over it for the wknd. :D

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf

Apologies
    I just wanted to clarify for future readers that Mandrake04 is correct!
    :)

Advertisement