Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubeless tyre question

• 19-10-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭

Quick question for a tubeless newbie.

I bought a second hand MTB a few weeks ago which came with tubeless tyres. I have never used tubeless before so i know very little about them, how to put them on or remove them, whats involved or even what i need.

After a few spins with the current tyres i have decided to change to another brand of tubeless as the current tyres dont offer enough grip.

So my question is, whats involved in changing the tubeless tyres and what else do i need to buy when im buying the tyres in order to fit them.

Thanks for any advice:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

is google broken :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Saila wrote: »
    is google broken :confused:

Thanks for your helpful reply:rolleyes:

If only there were more like u

Just in case you didn't know this is a cycling discussion
    forum where people can ask for advice from others who
    would have encountered these situations before. If you
    don't know something generally people here are happy
    to help if they can.

As I already said thanks for any advice:)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks for your helpful reply:rolleyes:

If only there were more like u
    If you have a problem with a post, use the "Report Post" button, and leave it to the mods to deal with

Thanks

Beasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

You'll need the new tyres and some sealant (I recommend Stans)..assuming that the valve and rimstrip (if any?) are in good condition. Some soapy water will help, as will an air compressor if you have one.

Take off old tyre, clean everything, mount new tyre (without any sealant in it)
    Inflate, covering the bead with soapy water to help the seal to form. If you can't get it to seal, remove the valve core to allow a bigger burst of air through, or find a friend with a compressor (worth every penny you spend on one) It helps to push down on the centre of the tyre at the valve point and push the beads out to the side, to get it started. The Stan's website has a good video about it.
    Deflate tyre, open one side of the bead and pour in sealant or inject it through the valve if you can. Shake shake shake so it covers the entire inside of the tyre, check for any leakages then enjoy tubelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyob

also handy to tell us what wheels are currently on the bike, as there's several ways of going tubeless, from proper UST systems, to stans rims, to ghetto systems with a cut open BMX tube on an otherwise normal rim.

The general idea is the same for each but what, if anything you'll need other than the tire and sealant changes with each type. Also, the level of annoyance, frustration and occaisional violence towards your bike can change too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Cheers paddy,

I currently have Shimano XT M775.
    Their these ones http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Shimano_XT_M775_Disc_Rear_Mtb_Wheel/5360033396/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 paddyob

ah cool, they're UST wheels so all you'll need is new tires and more sealant, and as sean said above, some soapy water to help the tires seat properly. The tires can be a tight fit, but once you get one side on, put the second side on, starting at the opposite side from the valve, and work your way around in both directions making sure the tire bead is sitting fully in the well at the centre of the rim, and so the valve area is the last part to go fully onto the rim, and you shoudl be good to go

Advertisement