Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Michael Bisping so disliked?

• 19-10-2010 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

When he fights in the US he gets a lot of boos and on most of the forums I've used he seems to be very disliked. What are the reasons for that? Has he said anything controversial to piss people off before? He likes look a bit of a prick but there must be more to it than that. I'd like yor opinion on it.

Sincerely,
    Creampie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

i love the guy but im english lol na he was a bit of a prick on TUF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Up All Night

He is very mouthy. He always something to say and walks around like a real hard man but its the business hes in. He was a coach on the ultimate fighter USA vs Brits so he was fighting against yanks and had a few run-ins with the fighters on the show.

I do like Bisping although i dont think hes one of the best in the world but he has held his own against some of the best. But his cockyness is starting to get to me just a tiny bit anthough i do wish him the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I liked Bisping up until I saw TUF. He acted the complete c0ck on that. He bullied people and licked Dana's ar$e like nothing normal.

Dan Henderson put a little bit of manners on him for the few seconds he was out.

My opinon. Not fighter bashing I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 connie00

I liked him until the Matt Hamill fight. I thought his attitude was bad and he was an ungracious winner of a tight split decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

I wondered that too, the information I got second hand was that he is not very accommodating to his fans. He has snubbed fans on numerous occasion and acts very entitled and too good for common folks

• Advertisement

Lads just a heads up, criticism of fighters is ok as long as you justify it. Fighter bashing just to call fighters names is not. Lets keep this thread clear of that and let the discussion flow. Just use a bit of cop on and it'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Because he's delusional & full of sh!t.

I read an interview he gave before the Sexyama fight where he was banging on about believing he will become an MMA legend. FFS, he hasn't beaten a prime top class fighter in his entire career!

Here's a quote from the same interview about his fight with wand:
    "I hit Wanderlei with a few big massive punches and there'd be no reaction from the crowd. Wanderlei would barely make contact with me, with like a slap or something, and the entire arena would burst into fits of excitement. So I think that might possibly have swayed them (judges) as well."

Erm, ok michael, you mean little slaps like this?

jubpsn.gif

He's was involved in one of my all-time favourite MMA moments though!;)

hendo-bisping.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

I thought he woz a complete moron on TUF:mad: However when I met him at UFC (and Stevie done all his promo work with him for 72) he was really nice, came across a gentleman and family man!!

However watching him on tv still makes me cringe especially after the Hamill fight too (Bisping knew he woz beat that nite and there was controversy that nite on how rude he was to fans and that). I think he is a "good" fighter, definately not amazing and has been quite "lucky" in his fights (definately an asset for UFC in England - you love or hate him!!!)

Urs
    x

p.s. he was actually born in Cyprus were his father was serving (does that really make him English or British lol!!!!)

jubpsn.gif

Just imagine how quickly Wand would have finished him in Pride rules... he even went to soccer kick him!

Bisping needs to learn a bit of humility though. Wand clocked him a good few times. I don't think Wand was in any danger from anything Bisping hit him with, and right now Bisping is winning fights based on being busier rather than being more dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I met him at 72 and he was sound, had a few beers wit him in The Hilton, met him a few more times since and he's become more obnoxious and big headed each time.

For UFC93 one of the lads hired out The Octagon Bar in The Clarence for a Friday Night party, we're quite good friends wit Big Dan so he came, with Kev and 3/4 other UFC peeps, Buffer came wit Arianny and Edith which was a bonus.

Bisping was invited and his first reaction was how much would he be paid!!

Not bothered me arse wit him since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Just imagine how quickly Wand would have finished him in Pride rules... he even went to soccer kick him!

As Wand pulls the leg back you can just see the ref is thinking "holy **** he's gonna soccer kick him" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I remember the Q&A session with him in the 02 pre-UFC 93 and one of the fans asked him a genuine question re the Matt Hamill fight.

His answer was along the lines of " well I'm up here, you're down there so why don't you sit down and shut up "

Have had no time for him since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

His attitude to hamill in the fight mentioned above and also on TUF made me really dislike him. Also think that UFC promote him very heavily due to the fact that he is the only british fighter at the moment who has any standing( had paul daly not f*ucked up or hardy had beat gsp i reckon they'd be the poster boys)

I'm also surprised they have not pushed his irish heritage more even if to only make him more marketable to the american viewers.

It's also worth keeping in mind that every sport has to have a hated figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Similar to others really...
    • I remember a fight recently, (think it was WEC or SF) where a fighter won a clear 29-28 decision. One of the judges gave him the fight 30-27 and the winning fighter himself said that the judges were nuts if one of them scored all 3 rounds for him! Compare that to Bisping vs Hamill where Bisping scraped an absolute gift of a decision, then jumped around like a nutter and told Hamill to "go back to wrestling"! Even if he put that down to adrenaline he should have acknowledged later that it was a close fight. I know he's hardly going to say "yeah well to be fair, Hamill battered me", but at least admit it was a controversial call.

• He claimed recently that he was one of the best wrestlers at MW and said during the Akiyama buildup that apart from "2 BS decisions", he'd only lost once in his career. Not only was the Silva fight not overly controversial in my eyes, (he was lucky to not get stopped) but someone with the Hamill win on his record need never talk about BS decisions.

• He beat a very poor Akiyama the other night and collapsed in the cage arms raised like he'd just won the belt. Then talks about being on the verge of a title shot? Give him the loser of Marquardt vs Okami! (on that topic, just found this - http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/51254.html More BS... Hell give him the winner of it then, either way he'll get massacred.

• Not his fault, more the UFC's but it irritates me how Bisping is presented as a genuine challenger and top contender. He's not and never will be. Sonnen, Marquardt, Okami, Belfort would all slaughter him. Maybe even Belcher too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I really want to see how he'd manage against Cote. Bisping doesnt have a hope in hell of actually hurting him so would probably get clobbered at some stage during the fight

Stick him in with Anderson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I would like to see him in there with Maia. Would be nice if his lowlight reel included tapping to Maia as well as being KTFO by Henderson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I neither liked or disliked him up until TUF. But after that I thought he came across as extremely arrogant. Lately he comes across a bit more mellow and humble but to be honest I think thats all an act to win back fans.
    There's no denying that he is a very good fighter but he's nowhere near the standard needed to win a title. And lets face it, he beat Akiyama but tbh I think Akiyama isn't a world class UFC fighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I really like him and he will go down as a legend because he was Britain's first true star in what appears to be the UFC's 3rd most important market based on where they hold the fights

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I really like him and he will go down as a legend because he was Britain's first true star in what appears to be the UFC's 3rd most important market based on where they hold the fights

Haha

Wanderlai Silva - Legend
    Randy Courier - Legend
    Royce Gracie - Legend

Bisping isn't good enough to lace there boots

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Haha

Randy Courier - Legend

I think I saw this lad in an adult movie once. He had a special delivery for lonely lady

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Royce Gracie - Legend

Gracie is a legend but i'm pretty sure Bisping would smash him up.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Gracie is a legend but i'm pretty sure Bisping would smash him up.

He would, but I'm pretty sure any modern MMA fighter would smash him up now as he has no striking or wrestling.

However what Royce achieved in HIS ERA in MMA is infinitely greater than anything Bisping is liekly to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Haha

Wanderlai Silva - Legend
    Randy Courier - Legend
    Royce Gracie - Legend

True but I'd bet my house he'll be a hall of famer one day because they'll hold one in England eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Creampie wrote: »
    When he fights in the US he gets a lot of boos and on most of the forums I've used he seems to be very disliked. What are the reasons for that? Has he said anything controversial to piss people off before? He likes look a bit of a prick but there must be more to it than that. I'd like yor opinion on it.

Sincerely,
    Creampie

The same reason why David Haye is hated. He is mouthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

At the UFC93 Q&A my sister asked him what he thought of women in mma. His answer was along the lines that they were best left back in the kitchen.The tone of his answer was half-jokey, half not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

dunkamania wrote: »
    At the UFC93 Q&A my sister asked him what he thought of women in mma. His answer was along the lines that they were best left back in the kitchen.The tone of his answer was half-jokey, half not

The man has gone up in my estimation. :rolleyes:. He really needs to be humbled BIG TIME.

Bisping thinks he's ready for a title shot?
    He's going to have to get past the indestructible burger head of Chris Leben. Now that would be a good rematch :D

Haha

Wanderlai Silva - Legend
    Randy Courier - Legend
    Royce Gracie - Legend

I think I saw this lad in an adult movie once. He had a special delivery for lonely lady

Damn Android phones and Sausage fingers don't mix :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

Bubs101 wrote: »
    True but I'd bet my house he'll be a hall of famer one day because they'll hold one in England eventually

Any genuine MMA fan knows that Michael Bisping being inducted into the Hall Of Fame is realistically never going to happen, I'm confused as to why you think he would deserve such an accolade? Based on his current skill level he would have extreme difficulty with any top 5 MW, and I can't see him improving/changing drastically in the future.

Lacks humility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

"I hit Wanderlei with a few big massive punches and there'd be no reaction from the crowd. Wanderlei would barely make contact with me, with like a slap or something, and the entire arena would burst into fits of excitement. So I think that might possibly have swayed them (judges) as well."
    To be clear, i'm not talking about who won that fight. Was basically saved by the bell, and when you replay it it was a close 29-28 fight, and if anything Wandys flurry at the end swayed the judges if anything did.

But, to be fair, what he said about the crowd was true. They were hugely against him, even at the weigh-in etc.
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not his fault, more the UFC's but it irritates me how Bisping is presented as a genuine challenger and top contender. He's not and never will be. Sonnen, Marquardt, Okami, Belfort would all slaughter him. Maybe even Belcher too.
    [/LIST]

Sherdogs top ten

1. Anderson Silva

2. Chael Sonnen

3. Jake Shields

4. Nate Marquardt

5. Demian Maia

6. Vitor Belfort

7. Yushin Okami

8. Dan Henderson

9. Jorge Santiago

10. Ronaldo Souza

bisping, might make the UFC top ten, just

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 cbenson

Love him or loathe him, I don't think Bisping would be where he is today if he wasn't a larger than life character. Promotions like the UFC need big personalities to get people interested - kinda like the WWE without the spangly outfits.;)
    How much of the attitude is real we may never know, but it is keeping him in the public eye and it keeps people talking about him (how many pages is this thread up to?) The UFC don't care if you are watching to see him get thrashed or if you are watching to see him win - as long as you are watching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I thought he was kind of nasty/bullyish to the deaf bloke on TUF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

cbenson wrote: »
    Love him or loathe him, I don't think Bisping would be where he is today if he wasn't a larger than life character. Promotions like the UFC need big personalities to get people interested - kinda like the WWE without the spangly outfits.;)
    How much of the attitude is real we may never know, but it is keeping him in the public eye and it keeps people talking about him (how many pages is this thread up to?) The UFC don't care if you are watching to see him get thrashed or if you are watching to see him win - as long as you are watching!
    Less then 1.
    Damn n00bs with their 15 posts per page :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

lol, I always think that when I see people talking about "pages",
    imagine the pain of going back to 15 per page, nightmare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I really dislike Bisping. I used to kind of like him, but his attitude after the Hamill fight disgusted me. He was totally disrespectful towards Hamill, especially as to most observers Hamill was the clear winner.

Advertisement