Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec SAB Fault 1

Options
  • 19-10-2010 5:13am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the time has come folks, when a 4AM wake up call has made me seek higher knowledge in relation to my own personal alarm problem.

So I'm in my current house about 5 years which already had an Astec alarm fitted and other than having to replace a sensor has never given me a day's bother until now. Twice in the last week it has set off displaying a SAB fault 1. From checking online this indicates that the system can't see the external sounder, yet as soon as I clear the error I can arm the system again. I was hoping the first time was a once off but obviously not at this stage, so would I be right in thinking the external sounder has a fault or that there is at least a fault between it and the main panel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It could be a cable fault or the bell is faulty. If it's the latter I have a few gathering dust if you need one.
    If it's the cable fault you would need to check the connections at both ends and in between. There could be an internal bell and a smoke detector sharing that cable as well so best check them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The best way to eliminate the cable is to take the unit down and connect it directly to the panel. Also disconnect anything else on the sounder bus.If the fault clears then add the other devices one by one.If the fault remains the next step is to try a new SABB.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I was kinda expecting but hoping for a different response, as as the fault clears instantly no diagnostics can take place unfortunately. I suppose the only thing to do would be to replace the box and see if it happens again. Jnealon thanks a mil for the offer of a unit, i think i'll take you up on it and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

No problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I would switch over to a different pair as well.
    What can happen in a bell sometimes is where the sleeve has been striped the snips sometimes cuts in to far and exposed the inner cable which then corodes. You'll know this by giving the cable a tug and it'll seperate.
    I'd try that first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm gonna go ahead and replace the box anyhow, as I know the battery in it isn't the best, but I'm nearly hoping that I do find a fault such as you describe. Up until very recently I used to repair IT equipment and there was nothing worse than a system that refused to break down while on site. It always meant that a repeat call would be inevitable.

Just a quick update. I've put the new box on courtesy of jnealon, which initially went ok but within about 20 mins of it going in the same error returned. I'm probably grasping at straws but maybe the battery voltage hadn't risen enough yet and caused it?

Anyhow as i don't have the engineer code i'm thinking i may need to do a factory reset in order to disable the bell if changing the pair does not work. From what i read online they aren't too hard to program from scratch, but that's easier said then done i reckon. So if anybody has a digital copy of the engineer manuel i would be grateful.

The next option could be a new alarm, but i hope it won't get to that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Very easy to reprogram. If you send me your e-mail by P.M. I will send you on the engineer manual.

I would down power the system leave for 20 seconds then power it back up, It might clear any problems in the panel itself before you do the default.

Defo sounds like a cable problem. I'd be fairly confident changing to a different pair will fix it.

So I managed to switch over the pairing today and all seems to be going well, but I'd give it at least 24 hours to be confident. I also powered down the system for 20 seconds as recommended by altor, which may also clear out any other bugs.

As a bonus I found an extension of the phone line in the box that was never wired in for some reason, so I now have it set and tested to ring me for an alarm notification. Its funny to hear the original installer stating there is an alarm at my address, sure for all I know it could be one of ye lot :pac:

• Advertisement

Just a further update a few days on and all is going swimmingly. Thanks again to all for your help.

Glad you got it sorted. Nothing as bad as a dodgy bellbox :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

delly wrote: »
    Just a further update a few days on and all is going swimmingly. Thanks again to all for your help.

Thats good Delly, its a good system that can be easily fixed if you every have any problems you know where we are.

Looks like I spoke too soon as my SAB fault returned this morning with a bang. At this stage I can only think that whatever the problem is, it must come from the control panel itself and I have just been lucky for the last week. My next step will be to put the system back to factory defaults to at least get engineer access so I can program the SAB off the panel.

Now I have two questions regarding the above, the first being if the engineer lock is enabled which I have read about in the manual, am I right in saying that there is no way to reset it back to defaults? The second is that if I can reset it and get engineer mode, is it correct that you can't leave engineer mode with the SAB programmed off the system yet still physically connected, but can you still set the alarm on?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The engineer lock can be bypassed by an engineer.
    (I am not going to post up how to on a public forum )
    To programme the SAB out you would need to disconnect it.This could be done from the panel.

Advertisement