Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help : Joel Peter Witkin

• 19-10-2010 5:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anybody familiar with Joel Peter Witkin's work? We were asked to write an essay about our favourite fine art photographers - and mine is Witkin. The professor said not to write a biodata about the artist, but to focus on his work - the styles, themes, way of doing, etc etc. I'm not asking people to do my work, it's just that I'm really in a time constrain now coz there were too much stuffs to do. The submission is in 3 days :( I've watched his documentary, read about him on the net... but currently couldn't get a grasp as to how I should approach this. Things that I need to mention. Perhaps anybody familiar with Witkin can give suggestions? Any advice/tips/comments are highly appreciated. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

You've kind of answered your own question - write an intro, what you've mentioned here - the styles, themes, way of doing, etc etc. With Witkin I'd be maybe talking about the older works he references himself. What social/political comment is he making with the references, if any - that sort of thing. Maybe just pick one or two works so you're not overwhelmed and focus on those. Then sum it all up.

You'll be grand once you stop panicking and actually start writing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 deathana

Thanks for your reply, sineadw. Yes I have to admit I'm being a bit panicky right now. And most probably because the essay should be in at least 15 pages.
    With Witkin I'd be maybe talking about the older works he references himself. What social/political comment is he making with the references, if any - that sort of thing.

Aha~ I can also add this part, thank you so much! I'm overwhelmed at this moment, feel like I don't have much to talk about. Not 15 pages long :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

If I were you I would spend time reading this interview (and indeed any other interviews) with Witkin to really get a grasp of why he created such images.

I would also suggest that you then back up your research with appropriate images.

For instance one could say that some early liife experiences may have influenced him. When he was a young boy he witnessed a motor accident where the severed head of a child rolled out to his feet. In later life he photographed the severed head of an old man which had been preserved in formaldehyde as a medical specimen It's in the link here:

http://www.picsearch.com/imageDetail.cgi?id=ixVv8DZobuopAZTC30O3-z7tG5dyuAscJBWcSMNBlxI&width=999&start=21&q=Joel-Peter Witkin

You will no doubt find other images which may be referrable to his experience and early influences.

Best of luck with the essay.

Thank you A.Partridge. I've never read that interview before and find it very interesting and quite full of information! Witkin's interviews that I've read before are not that 'in-depth', usually.

I've got some ideas now on how to approach this. Starting with his background (the accident incident), why he created these kind of images, how he organized the shoots and also his darkroom processes, what are the messages/stories/meanings behind his photographs (with a few examples), comparison with Diane Arbus (the approach), and also audience's perception towards his work.

I appreciate the assistance, both of you. Thanks :D It's time to indulge myself in the writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Sounds good!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

sounds immensely intellectual but the only book I have on Witkin is written in French :)

Witkin's work is very, very awesome. I'm a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

Wow...that was interesting. I read the entire interview and I don't know whether to be horrified or amazed. His work is certainly compelling.

Yes, Hugh C. Me too. :D If only I have enough savings to purchase his journal.

The Journal of Joel-Peter Witkin

It'll be interesting to go through his thought processes and sketches and the execution of the final work. And you were right, DougL. Can't imagine if I'm one of the crews/assistant, don't know whether to be horrified or amazed. But I'm certainly a fan :)

Advertisement