Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New owner saying hello

Options
  • 19-10-2010 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    OK so I am about to get a 90L Aquarium tank from a friend no longer interested in keeping fish.
    New to the hobby and having run it past the wife we are taking the unit to start getting into the hobby our selfs and give the kids something of interest to help look after.

Quick question, could i keep fish with a terrapin/turtle if so any thoughts.

Having a read on some sites i was thinking of filling the tank 3/4 and getting a platform for the turtle to bask under a lamp?

Just looking to see if there is a problem with fish being eaten etc...

I am trying to research before making a decision on what best to purchase so we do not end up with dead marine life and they are looked after correctly. so any advise is most welcome.

Cheers
    Darren
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

not sure but I imagine the terrapin may go for the fish, especially if they are small, which given the size of you tank is likely.

Also as 90L is small enough leaving it only 3/4 full will give you only 60-70L of water (as sand/plants/gravel/wood/stones etc will take up some space) which is not a lot at all. Its about what I have in my tank and it restricts what you can buy a lot.

Make sure you have a suitable filter & heater
    Learn about tank cycling (see the sticky)

EDIT: oh and welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi
    Thanks for the reply, kinda thinking the tank is a little small TBH but looking for more expert opinions like your own.
    Was reading the Tank Cycling stick also so will try and avoid the new tank syndrom.

The guy i am getting it from has the filter/heater and a host of other stuff like food etc...

Again thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm by no means an expert. :D
    If the tank is still in use the filter should be cycled anyway so may be ok to add fish in in shorter order.
    If you are getting all that try and get the water too, if possible, if the tank is still setup. It should help your tank settle quicker. If you can't transport all the water at least take some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

tank is empty, and ready to be moved, so no water there,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dont even attempt to move a tank with water in it!

It wont take long to cycle the tank. Go to your local fish shop and ask them for some filter media.

A 90l tank is a good starting point. I started at that size and now have a 300l (2 tanks in 6 months!)

If you are getting it for free fire ahead with it and see how it turns out

• Advertisement
Advertisement