Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ideas for stopover location ?

• 19-10-2010 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We're heading over to Ballina for the long weekend and I've got Friday off, so we may go a day early.

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of where we could go and stay for one night on the way to Ballina from Longford, that's not too far off the beaten track.
    I wouldn't be that keen on wild camping as we also have an 11 month old baby, so the last thing I'd want is any hassle....

The route we'll roughly take is this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Lough key forest park is a little of your beaten track but worth looking at.
    While in Mayo a nice day out is Turlough House which might be of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nyeb2007

stapeler wrote: »
    Lough key forest park is a little of your beaten track but worth looking at.
    While in Mayo a nice day out is Turlough House which might be of interest.

lough Key campsite is actually closed for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

nyeb2007 wrote: »
    lough Key campsite is actually closed for the season
    Nope.their website says "The caravan and camping park is open from April 1st to September 20th 2010 and the 22nd to the 31st of October 2010. "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Cool. We'll probably try it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi all,

We're heading over to Ballina for the long weekend and I've got Friday off, so we may go a day early.

I was wondering if anybody has any ideas of where we could go and stay for one night on the way to Ballina from Longford, that's not too far off the beaten track.
    I wouldn't be that keen on wild camping as we also have an 11 month old baby, so the last thing I'd want is any hassle....

The route we'll roughly take is this

We are heading over that direction too, going to Sligo on Saturday night, then round by Ballina to Belmullet and then towards Westport. I don't know this area, I have a charging system that doesn't charge when the van is running, not sure if I have enough gas and I am fairly certain there is no open campsite on the route but sure it all adds to the fun.

Is there anything we shouldn't miss out that way, nice little out of the way pubs or great beaches......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Easkey: great for surf, one of Ireland's top spots

Enniscrone: Fab beach, usually smaller surf than Easkey great for kids. Kids love the walk up the big sand dune at the end of the beach called the valley of Diamonds. Warning it is a long walk though.

Ballina: Great Indian food in The Everest. Good selection of pubs and other restaurants. Dillions, Paddy Jordans and Crocquets on the Quay have all done well in pub of the year awards.

Ballina - Killala (if you go that way): Moyne Abbley and Rosserk Friary are well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing.

Ross beach outside of Killala is nice, very quiet.

Ballycastle: Both the sea stack at Down Patrick head and the Ceide Fields are well worth a visit. Some spectacular views over the Atlantic along this route.

Portacloy beach was, and I presume still is, a little hidden treasure (not been there since I was a kid) so not sure about parking etc. Very quiet and off the beaten track place.

Between Portacloy and Belmullet you could take in a spot of protesting at Rossport!

Erris Head: fabulous some great walks out on Erris Head.

Belmullet - Westport: Passing right by Achill and Mulranny oh man a weekend just isn't long enough. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Easkey: great for surf, one of Ireland's top spots

Enniscrone: Fab beach, usually smaller surf than Easkey great for kids. Kids love the walk up the big sand dune at the end of the beach called the valley of Diamonds. Warning it is a long walk though.

Ballina: Great Indian food in The Everest. Good selection of pubs and other restaurants. Dillions, Paddy Jordans and Crocquets on the Quay have all done well in pub of the year awards.

Ballina - Killala (if you go that way): Moyne Abbley and Rosserk Friary are well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing.

Ross beach outside of Killala is nice, very quiet.

Ballycastle: Both the sea stack at Down Patrick head and the Ceide Fields are well worth a visit. Some spectacular views over the Atlantic along this route.

Portacloy beach was, and I presume still is, a little hidden treasure (not been there since I was a kid) so not sure about parking etc. Very quiet and off the beaten track place.

Between Portacloy and Belmullet you could take in a spot of protesting at Rossport!

Erris Head: fabulous some great walks out on Erris Head.

Belmullet - Westport: Passing right by Achill and Mulranny oh man a weekend just isn't long enough. Enjoy.

great post !! lovely suggestions!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

KoNiT wrote: »
    great post !! lovely suggestions!!

Thanks, I'm a long time follower of this section as myself and Mrs Waterman are dreaming about getting a camper so I guess its about time that I gave something back.

By the way, I forgot to mention that there is now a great new cycle track on the old railway line at Newport.

Advertisement