Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS exams, what do they look like?

Options
  • 19-10-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I'm thinking of going for my first MS cert exam soon, and I would like to know how they actually look. I'm going for the Web Developer 4.0 and hopefully taking that further.

I know how to enlist and how much it costs, but there's still a lot of questions I haven't found answers to.

What format are the questions in?

Do you get a virtual machine with Visual Studio 2010 set up for you to work with or are you supposed to know the answers off the top of your head?

Do you actually write any code during the exam?

Will the exam cover all the areas they mention in the prep guide or just a small sub-section of those? (ie. should I prepare a few areas really well or try to grasp everything superficially)

How much time have you got for an exam?
    I've heard that you can get an extra 30 minutes allocated if English isn't your native language, is this true?

And last but not least...
    Any tips for taking the exam? :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

All of the exams I have taken are mostly multiple choice & with some other interactive types of questions, such as drag & drop.

It's all done via a special test application - so you don't get access to anything other than the exam.

I can't speak directly for any .NET exams, but I assume you would get questions like "which is the correct line of code to insert here.." and pick from a list of 5. However, I have not taken any of these exams, so others may correct me on that point.

The exams usually cover EVERYTHING. So grasp everything, and NOT superficially.. The questions can involve more than just knowing the contents of the exam preps.

Best tips I can give
    - do a practise exam first. Then do it again & again.
    - you can skip past questions & come back to them. So answer all the questions you know first, then come back & do the harder ones.

Advertisement