Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iron Man 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

His name is in the credits, so I'd assume they had some level of co-operation on the where the story can go next.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

Well I might make another post later with spoiler tags, but for now I'm on my phone so I'll give the spoiler-free version of my opinion.

What I didn't like:
    It's clear now that a lot of things that made the last two so distinctively fun were the direct result of Favreau's direction. The way Tony would talk over people, the rhythm of the scenes, the soundtrack (IM3 has no AC/DC), and the way the supporting characters pinged with Stark. The chemistry's different now, and some aspects suffer for it. It doesn't seem like any of the returning supporting cast gets much screentime (even Pepper, who has more to do this time around, seems less well-utilized than when she was breaking into Stane's computer) and they have maybe one good joke each. And for some reason the two major antagonists seemed to have less charisma than their henchmen/assassins, which meant that the climax wasn't as climactic as it could have been.

What I liked:
    It definitely stands out from the other installments in the franchise. You can really tell it's a Shane Black movie, and the amount of time Tony spends fighting without the armor is fresh and new. The movie feels like a Lethal Weapon-style action thriller. And even though Tony doesn't wear the armor for a lot of it, it somehow feels more like the comics than the last two movies. It has its own sense of humor and although I miss the previous style, it is a good thing that they didn't stick with the same formula until I got sick of it. Better that I still remember the first two fondly. I think the best part of the movie is the opening sequence. Shane Black was always good at those, but then again Favreau did good hooks too.

All in all, a worthy but still flawed addition to the franchise. Without giving anything away, the ending makes a sequel... complicated... but I have a feeling that when the inevitable sequel happens (with or without RDJ), it will really benefit from the way this movie has shaken up the franchise before it settled on a single formula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

syklops wrote: »
    According to this article , Joss Whedon's reaction to Iron Man 3 was:

The article explains this as:

Now that Iron Man has seemingly
    Hung up his Iron Mask for good,
    , I think that explains Joss Whedons exclamation better.
    He'll be pulled back in quickly enough for Avengers 2 - at worst they have a good reason to keep him out of the other movies leading up to it. Reckon the Banner/Stark interaction at the end will be what brings Iron Man back - something will happen with Banner/Hulk that Tony feels obligated to go back for.

Also, while he destroys a load of Iron Man suits and gets rid of the arc heart (HATE THAT) we know he can knock together suits fairly quickly and they could have their own power source rather than feeding off his.

He also says that he is Iron Man, and nothing can take that away, so he still considers himself to be Iron Man, he still considers that Iron Man exists, so he isn't gone.

As for Whedon's comments - I would imagine that the position people need to be in come Avengers 2 is mapped out already and that all the Phase 2 movies will have been written and planned with those goals in mind. I can't see there being any issue with Iron Man coming back for A3, it will all work out nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Personally I felt,
    The ending implied that he intends on throwing together an extremis suit.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

humanji wrote: »
    I also think it's fairly pointless to compare this to the Dark Knight trilogy. Dark Knight had a character arc, while the Iron Man films are fairly independent of each other and only really make references to the other films (IM3 makes more references to The Avengers that anything else).

Dark Knight comparisons are fair game given the extremely strong comparisons between Bane and Mandarin -
    even the 'puppet master' reveals.

Hell, this even has a
    clean slate
    of its own :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Seeing this in pseudo-IMAX tomorrow. How's the 3D?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

e_e wrote: »

The phrase the Curates Egg comes to mind.

In parts it was distracting more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

e_e wrote: »

Pointless! The imax intro is amazing though - but thats clutching at straws - would have loved to see it in iMax 2D!

Aso for people wondering
    is this the end for iron man/ last one etc
    , i would say no, on account of the facr it DOES say
    Tony Stark will return
    at the end!

I reckon the mixed reviews of this movie can be very easily explained.
    People who know the Iron Man lore (even just bits of it) will be annoyed by mis-use of Mandarin maybe poor use of Extremis. People who know Iron Man - good chance they arent going to like it.

People who only known Iron Man from the movies won't be annoyed by the mis-use of characters and storylines so will take the movie at face value, while I reckon would actually be a good movie.

While not being massively into Iron Man beyond the movies, I have watched some of the animated movies and read up on bits and pieces - and even I was majorly pissed off with the Mandarin twist reveal (while 90% of the cinema laughed their asses off) and I felt it did ruin my enjoyment of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

would have thought it was strange IM3 was written without taking Avengers 2 into account, haven't seen it yet but given its Phase 2 you'd imagine Marvel would have kept continuity in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Left the cinema last night (not by choice) without seeing the final scene during the credits! anyone care to PM me what I missed?! ty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

is the Avengers 2 not going to have the Guardians Of The Galaxy and Falcon so Iron man has plenty of replacements

macslash wrote: »
    Left the cinema last night (not by choice) without seeing the final scene during the credits! anyone care to PM me what I missed?! ty

post credits scene:
    the voice over you hear during the movie turns out to be Tony 'in session' with Banner, who fell asleep when the story got to the elevator. They have a little banter with Banner not being 'that kind of doctor'. And that is pretty much it.

Personally I reckon it IS a set up for the future as it further cements a friendship between Banner and Stark, which I think will be important in Avengers 2 or further Iron Man or Hulk movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Went to see last night and I enjoyed with without be hugely impressed.Its worth seeing though.

I knew before seeing this is wouldnt be a darker kinda movie like batman. Its kinda funny,smart and great special effects but just felt the more tongue in cheek Iron Man 3 became as i watched it,Spoiler:

it just seemed to puncture the sense of menace/tension that the film has in its early scenes, when The Mandarin is humiliating American broadcasters and politicians. Jokes about Croydon, British football and Downton Abbey i just didnt really find funny but guess everyone will have different opinions. I guess i like my superheroes abit more serious.

All in all would give it 7/10.

doubledown wrote: »
    I am absolutely floored by the amount of negative reactions in this thread. I loved it and thought it was unquestionably the strongest of the Iron Man films, if not the best Marvel film to date. Did we all see the same movie???

It managed to be both funny and dark. Great dialogue. Great villains. Great action. A wonderful
    twist
    too. I had no prior knowledge or attachment to the source material so maybe that's why it didn't bother me that much. Also, I had avoided all trailers and TV spots so that helped.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first two to be honest. (In fact, my favourite Iron Man film to date was The Avengers). I felt they were average at best but were elevated by Downey Jr.'s performance. And in this film he NAILS it. And I felt that Shane Black brought a fresh energy to proceedings and I would love if he got a shot at making another one. There were about 10 laugh-out-loud moments and about 5 moments of pure geek heaven.

I guess everyone has different tastes and opinions but don't write this movie off just based on this thread. Check it out for yourself. I'm seeing it again tonight. If this is how Phase 2 is shaping up then bring it on.

Completely agree, I enjoyed the first movie but its all buildup and a weak finale, the second is the same, has its moments but just re-uses the villain with their own armour plot technique again.
    This is different, it's very tongue in cheek in places given how serious the trailers are making it out to be, and I loved it because of it, the
    Mandarin reveal
    was a complete surprise, when was the last time you saw that in a summer blockbuster. I'm glad I avoided as many trailers as I could because even the part I thought was ruined, the house collapse (I'm not spoilering that it's on the poster ffs) played out differently than I expected. Some genuinely funny dialogue, had Shane Black all over it, a few flat jokes, Happy isn't funny in the slightest and some of the editing and timing is off in places but overall I'd put it behind Avengers and Thor as my favourite of the Marvel films to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

could iron patriot/war machine take over as iron man in the avengers

Is it true Iron Patriot is a villan in the comic books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

krudler wrote: »
    This is different, it's very tongue in cheek in places given how serious the trailers are making it out to be, and I loved it because of it, the
    Mandarin reveal
    was a complete surprise, when was the last time you saw that in a summer blockbuster.

I absolutely loved that surprise. If it didn't happen, it would have ended up being the same generic supervillain we see in all these films.
    And I felt it set up Guy Pearce up as an even better villain.

humanji wrote: »
    I absolutely loved that surprise. If it didn't happen, it would have ended up being the same generic supervillain we see in all these films.
    And I felt it set up Guy Pearce up as an even better villain.

Exactly, we've already seen villains who
    go after the heros loved ones or try bankrupt them/ruin their legacy, the Mandarin IS in the movie, he's just not who you think he is, I get that people who liked the character in the comic didnt like it but it I thought it was a really clever twist on it, Kingsleys change from monotone terrorist to pissed old fart actor was genius.
    It's the first time in a long time something completely left field came out of a summer movie, if this had gone down the same old route of trying to use the suit against Tony blah blah blah it would have been a generic sequel, and it was until that point then took a turn into something different. I figured
    Kingsley was the main villain and Pearce was the puppet and you'd see it a mile away, not the other way around, Kinglseys only in the movie what four or five times? and he's what people will remember it for.
    I also didn't know
    Pepper would wind up in a suit and she'd be infected with Extremis, more twists
    this not watching trailers lark is paying off :pac: had to look away yet again for another seemingly 5 minute long Star Trek trailer.

I really,really liked the score for this, it's about time comic movies are getting proper rousing themes, the end credits are great as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Have to say I’m also very surprised at how negative some of the comments have been, like I was watching a completely different movie.

I had no real preconceptions of what it was all about. I don’t read the comic books, but I enjoyed the first film, which was a standard origin movie told with buckets of humour. The second movie was rubbish and boring to boot.

This one I thought was hugely refreshing; they made Tony Starks character way more vulnerable in this one than in the first two movies and I loved the fact that his demons where coming home to roost.

I also thought Ben Kingsley’s character was great. I’ve got two schools of thought on why people either love or loath his character;
    (a) if you wanted a serious gritty movie, you’d come away dissatisfied and feel cheated because you did not get what you saw in the trailer (b) if you wanted silly escapism, which the film presented by the bucket load, this film ticked all the right boxes. Clearly I hugely enjoyed the goofy twist.

It also provided me with one of the biggest laughs I’ve had this year,
    involving the “prodigal suit” which, with highly heroic fanfare music, falls to pieces at the wrong moment.:pac:
    It’s nearly as great as the two Hulk moments from last years Avengers.

The dialogue was witty as ever, but I did admittedly notice a lot of clunkers and the first third is quite slow for an action movie. Overall, I think this is the best of the three Ironman movies, but the negative reaction has left me scratching my head :confused:

• Advertisement

I don't get the negative stuff either, I thought it was refreshing to see
    Tony out of the suit for most of the movie, you're getting character moments in a summer movie instead of endless CGI fights, him leaping in and out of different armour in the finale was cool as well, and Guy Pearce was great. I did laugh at him tied to the bed trying to intimidate the goons waiting for the armour to arrive, and the guy who just gives up "I don't even like working here, they're so weird!"
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

I loved the film but
    I'm disappointed with the Mandarin story line. He is a great enemy in the cartoons/comics and they just merged the Extremis line and the Mandarin together.

The post ending credits were funny. I dunno why but I thought it would set up Thor or something. Banner nodding off was good though..

In the Extremis arc, Tony used Extremis on himself, I am wondering did he do this when he got the ARC out of his chest?

you gotta wonder if it was that easy to
    have the shrapnel removed from his chest why hadn't he done it before? he still coulda had the arc reactor in there if that was powering the suits (which it doesnt seem to do in this movie) without impending death hanging over him all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some brief additions since I feel less sleepy now:

IMO the film's single biggest problem, as I mentioned above, is its length. I genuinely thought it grew extremely tedious in the second half especially, when the onslaught of 'stuff' leading to a film that favours a sensory assault over actual momentum. If the film has a good trick, it's likely to repeat it two or three times in case you missed it - never more obvious than in the film action sequence. As much of a Rebecca Hall fan as I am (her mere presence in a film is something I don't object to), her screentime felt wasted and inconsequential, serving as nothing more than a shallow story device that could easily have been streamlined. Even with the bloat, there can be something lacking that stops individual scenes from being quite as effective as they could be (
    for example, while the air rescue sequence was briefly thrilling, I think there was maybe a pivotal five seconds just 'missing' at the end to give it that extra moment of oomph or, excuse the pun, marvel - it just seems to weirdly cut to the ground
    ).

On a related note as this is the film's antagonists.
    I have no investment in the comics, so really don't care how they interpreted The Mandarin. And while I thought the reveal was just that notch too wacky, at least Kingsley handles it with genuine gusto and enthusiasm. But the big problem with that reveal is that it then leaves us in the hands of Guy Pearse for the remaining half an hour - as generic, uncharismatic and dull as rogues come. Not to mention the inconsistency of the Extremis grunts - invulnerable when it suits the plot, or cannon fodder when needed.

That said, it is an improvement over Iron Man 2, and while I basically didn't find it as witty or thrilling as others did (and TBH the subjectivity of individual viewers is no doubt the simple, non-baffling answer as to this thread's range of responses), there were well-handled moments
    (Stark's cheeky conversation with the kid before he departs, "I don't like working here they're really weird!")
    . But it was altogether a case of too much, with the too much amounting to not enough. It's gotten to the point when Marvel needs to relinquish control and aim for something that isn't safe, competent fun - they've done that, and IM3 frequently hints at a smarter film with very strong character work. They have a talented suite of directors working on their properties (Whedon, Black, Gunn etc...) - relinquish control, no need to demand an endless stream of 'bigger' setpieces. There's little doubt Iron Man 3 is at its best in some of its quieter moments (well, quiet against Marvel canon), and perhaps that's why the descent into sensory overload feels so exhausting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I love the movie franchise, but I have absolutely no history with the comics so
    the Mandarin's reveal is not a concern for me. On the contrary, I thought it was refreshing and Tony Stark's confusion was a joy to watch because his reaction was mirrored by most in the audience. I guess those who are big fans of the comics and the major influence the Mandarin has on that world will be disappointed but I admire the unique path Shane Black took with this. I always say that comics and movies are different mediums and don't always have to be completely interlinked. Great performance from Ben Kingsley too.

I also liked the numerous action scenes involving Tony Start but not Iron Man. Again, it was refreshing. As usual, RDJ owns the role and he is both funny and emotional in his role. In fact, we've never seen him so emotionally vulnerable and he gave his best performance of the franchise especially the scene when he pulls over after being told the suit isn't charging. The Air Force One rescue was really excellent also.

However, I didn't like the extremis super soilders. They felt more suited to X-Men than Iron Man. I would have preferred cybernetic enhancements instead of DNA coding. That would have fitted into that world more comfortably. Guy Pearce gave a good performance but his character was nothing more than your typical angry person from the hero's past. Not great just adequate.

The end battle at the dock was just a busy mess. They really missed the opportunity with the multiple suits and just went for non-stop explosions. It could have been a very unique battle scene. Thinking off the top of my head, imagine a Dark Knight Rises style battle between multiple suits and cybernetically enhanced soilders with Stark and Guy Pearce taking center stage like Batman and Bane. That would have been cool especially with each suit showcasing a unique function. I also got tired of Guy Pearce's constant regeneration. He should have died for good after Stark blew up the mark 42.

As others have said, I really disliked how weak all the suits were at the end. I can understand the shortcomings of mark 42 because it was a prototype but in other movies, his other suits were as sturdy as a tank. Seeing the extremis guys ripping them apart just didn't sit well with our expectations of what damage the suit can take. It was very inconsistent with previous movies and therefore the movie feels a little removed from the world Favreau/Whedon created.

I don't mind Tony destroying all his suits because he realised that Pepper is more important to him after thinking she died so it was a nice jesture for her, but I hated the removal of his arc reactor. That is a defining characteristic of Stark like Superman's S.

Overall, two very strong acts let down by a generic and inconsistent third act.

But I think the positives do outweigh the negatives here so 3.5/5

Even with the bloat, there can be something lacking that stops individual scenes from being quite as effective as they could be (
    for example, while the air rescue sequence was briefly thrilling, I think there was maybe a pivotal five seconds just 'missing' at the end to give it that extra moment of oomph or, excuse the pun, marvel - it just seems to weirdly cut to the ground
    ).

Agree with that, it was edited pretty strangely at the end, the audience I saw it with got a kick out of the
    truck slamming into Stark though
    the sequence itself was well done I thought, I saw it in 2D couldn't be bothered with another dark blurfest summer movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I thought it was good, not great. It was certainly better than 2, but that is nothing to boast about.

If I read a comic, it's going to be 99% of the time Batman. So I have no relationship with the Iron Man source material.
    That being said, I even felt dissapointed when they revealed the Mandarin twist. All I could think of was "Jesus, if I was a big Iron Man fan, I would be so pissed right now". Imagine if they did that with Joker, or Two Face, etc. From what I gather, the Mandarin is a pretty big villain in the Iron Man universe.

Rebecca Hall, what are you doing in this film? She offered nothing in the grander scheme of things and just felt wasted.

The villain. Guy Pearse put in a solid performance I thought, but his character was a bit 'meh'. It's a real weakness of many superhero films. After Spiderman and Batman, a lot of heroes have maybe one good foe and after that it's just all generic.

The shrapnel at the end. Why the **** did he not just get it out before? It was so stupid. One of the main characteristics of the character just gone. Poof. Disappeared. If it was so bloody easy why keep around a chest full of shrapnel that could kill you at any second!

I agree about the
    shrapnel, they could have left it there or taken it out earlier in the movie once he figured out how to power the suits without the arc reactor, was a bit silly you could charge an Iron Man suit with a car battery lol I thought the whole point was the arc reactor gave a massive power output from a small device as that's what the suits needed
    so that aspect I didn't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Am actually kinda surprised by the extremes people seem to be expressing here, particularly those who seem to hate it profusely; seems like a real Bovril of a film (admittedly, I haven't seen it yet, so for now most of the thread is a sequence of grey bars, so perhaps the hatred is well-justified) I wonder though if perhaps it's a subconscious backlash against the Marvelverse, a backlash against the success of The Avengers, or simply audience fatigue with the production-line of the Marvel films? There's bound to be a saturation point where general audiences have had quite enough of this extended Marvel love-in...

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Am actually kinda surprised by the extremes people seem to be expressing here, particularly those who seem to hate it profusely; seems like a real Bovril of a film (admittedly, I haven't seen it yet, so for now most of the thread is a sequence of grey bars, so perhaps the hatred is well-justified) I wonder though if perhaps it's a subconscious backlash against the Marvelverse, a backlash against the success of The Avengers, or simply audience fatigue with the production-line of the Marvel films? There's bound to be a saturation point where general audiences have had quite enough of this extended Marvel love-in...

I think the trailers are selling it as a much darker film than it actually is, not that it doesn't have its dark moments at times but it's fairly lighthearted fare for the most part, some real crowdpleasing moments in it. Shane Black's influence is prevalent throughout, witty script, voiceover, digs at Hollywood, some surreal moments, an opening credit song choice that you won't expect etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

pixelburp wrote: »

Haven't seen it myself either but one of the lads did and hated it saying it was too done for laughs .

Guess ill find out meself tomorrow :)

As far as "for laughs" its in the same vein as The Avengers, its got a few genuinely funny moments and some good action sequences. People seemed to love Avengers because of how much fun it was, but hate this for being exactly that, oh moviegoers, you fickle people you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Basically it comes down to a few simple points
    If you're a fan of the comics and lore you'll be disappointed.

Know just about enough about Ironman then you'll enjoy it, but still have minor gripes.

Loved Ironman 2? This is the heat thing since sliced bread then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

6/10 for me, started quite well but then you'll know exactly when the film declines. too much comedy in it I thought, Guy Pearce was saving grace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Liked the first Iron Man, thought the second was almost terrible. I feel that this is somewhere in between, well made and moves along nicely but it's lacking in any kind of joy or excitement. Found it to be an overly mechanical (no pun intended) and production line bit of filler but just nowhere near as entertaining as it should have been. Made me wish I was just watching Avengers again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What people forget is that more people don't know the history of ironman and the characters or storyline. The movie is made for the mass populace. Not for comic fans.
    Big issue many people are having with a certain character really comes down to he wouldn't translate to the big screen too well.

Rabies wrote: »
    What people forget is that more people don't know the history of ironman and the characters or storyline. The movie is made for the mass populace. Not for comic fans.
    Big issue many people are having with a certain character wouldn't translate to the big screen well.
    Mandarin? yeah the whole rings of power thing is veering into silly territory
    although in a post- Avengers Marvel universe with aliens and interdimensional portals and the like silly isn't a big deal anymore. the first two movies are very much set in the real world with fantastical tech, 3 is in a universe with Norse gods on earth and alien invasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

Overall the best of the Iron Man films but still a problem with all the Marvel films is that the action lacks any great weight or gripping sense of destruction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

fluke wrote: »
    Overall the best of the Iron Man films but still a problem with all the Marvel films is that the action lacks any great weight or gripping sense of destruction.

I've not seen Iron Man 3 yet but the Avengers is the only Marvel film that's managed to avoid that problem so far. Marvel films are just a bit too silly for me. I really enjoyed Iron Man and Thor but the likes of Iron Man 2, Spider-Man 3 and so on. Read Extremis a few days ago so I'm dying to see this now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Saw it tonight annnnnnd... I thought it was fun for what it was. I really don't get the ludicrous levels of hatorade being drunk around here. If anything it felt like an extended coda for The Avengers, what with the PTSD & constant shout-outs to events from that film, but overall it had enough zip & fun that the second film simply lacked. As for complaints about tone, I thought it was right on the money - enough whackiness to keep things light & funny, but sprinkled with moments of darkness & conflict to remind you that Tony Stark is a flawed hero.

Ok, I'll admit, I have no history with the comics & so no investment in the characters (my knowledge is mostly through cultural osmosis & the internet), but I can see why the
    revelation that the Mandarin was just an actor might annoy people - from what I understand he's one of the big villains in the Iron Man world. But in fairness, from what I read he was also one of the more OTT & outlandish villains, and even in this world of alien invasions he may not fit too well into a standalone Iron Man film; and that's before we even talk about the fact he's an example of blatant cultural stereotyping - real Fu-Manchu territory. To me, the twist was a neat little subversion of expectations & should be praised as a clever move. The Mandarin in the film was a clumsy stereotype of the middle-eastern terrorist / mystic, precisely because he was meant to be so the world would believe the deception.

The script had that Shane Black wit about it (to a fault I might add; it got annoying that nearly everyone in the film was an errant wit, including the child for goodness' sake; although the "I don't like them, they're too weird" line made up for it) and whoever came up with it, it was a good idea to reduce things to a more personal & smaller scale - the big mistake would have been to try and top the events of The Avengers. For the earthbound Marvel movies they should keep those stories grounded (insofar as is possible with comicbook tales) and make the adventures about character development, personal demons etc., so the movie universe doesn't ... well, reflect the comics too much & have near-apocalypses everyday.

That said, for all the fine character work with Tony Stark outside of his armour, with stunning inevitability things still had to culminate in a big robot dust-off. Bish bash bosh boom; it wasn't Transformers level of motion sickness, but it was still difficult to keep track visually of all that was going on. I dunno, maybe I'm just too much of an old fart now

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

PTH2009 wrote: »
    could iron patriot/war machine take over as iron man in the avengers

Is it true Iron Patriot is a villan in the comic books

Yep, although there it's Norman Osbourne (Green Goblin) and he's the President

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He wasn't the president ...He was director of Hammer...Shields replacement basiclly he had Nick Furys job

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Hi

Enjoyed the film and thought it was very well done. Particularly enjoyed the human side of tony,the anxiety attacks and vulnerability of him. The ending was a bit strange considering how it will be left open for a second avenger film. i didn't stay until after the credits cos of parking charges and so on so was there a typical post credit marvel scene like in previous films and it so what did it involve. Apologies if this is a repost

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

He wasn't the president ...He was director of Hammer...Shields replacement basiclly he had Nick Furys job

Ah, my mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I liked it.
    I thought the addition of PTSD was brilliant and I also loved the Mandarin twist, though I can understand if fans of the comics are pissed off.

I don't think it's quite the 4 star film that some reviews have suggested, but I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same.

You gotta wonder why
    SHIELD weren't tracking the Mandarin, they were pretty quick to step in when Tony got a bit too fond of the booze in the 2nd movie and when a hammer landed in the desert but a guy is going around blowing up parts of the US and threatens the Predisent on live tv, then blows up Air Force One and they're nowhere to be seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

conor678 wrote: »
    Hi

Enjoyed the film and thought it was very well done. Particularly enjoyed the human side of tony,the anxiety attacks and vulnerability of him. The ending was a bit strange considering how it will be left open for a second avenger film. i didn't stay until after the credits cos of parking charges and so on so was there a typical post credit marvel scene like in previous films and it so what did it involve. Apologies if this is a repost

there was an after credits scene,
    where stark was telling bruce banner about what happened in the film, remember at the start when stark was narrating, that was him telling banner about what happened, and in the end scene banner was falling asleep listening to it, telling stark he isnt that kind of doctor

i think i need to see the film again when im in a different mood, a lot of people seem to think its better than 2, but i dont, i didnt find some of the humor funny, it seemed off in some way, and i didnt really like the way it went all CSI there in the middle,

ive been in an odd mood recently with films, so i think i may watch this again in a few weeks before it leaves cinema,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

I thought the addition of PTSD was brilliant and I also loved the Mandarin twist, though I can understand if fans of the comics are pissed off.

yeah that part played in well to the avengers, like he said in it
    that their not soldiers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

For me it was ok.

If I was going to see a comedy then fine but I was going to see a comic book hero/action movie that tends to have comedic moments which is the balance I like.
    They over did the comedy in it for me and in doing so they took away from the movie I was hoping to see. While I did find the scenes funny they just felt like they should have been in a different type of movie.
    Most of the rest of it was fine but I did find it dragging in parts. While a different movie to the first two, Id put it on a par with the second.

6 out of 10 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just came back from the cinema and i give it a 7.5/10

Was fun to watch but not quite the blockbuster i imagined it to be

• Advertisement
Advertisement