Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOD

Options
  • 19-10-2010 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

How Can ANYONE still believe this crap these days.

What's the difference between God, Jesus Christ, Santa, Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy - they are all fairy tales

Can I have a religious fanatic explain how to why they believe as I simply can't fanthom this at all.

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last that the church will still be here in say 100 - 200 yrs times within Europe of course.

Less & less people go to church every year apparently and I know of no one from my age / generation that goes to church

I respect the fact that people believe this and am not interfering but just need somone to explain it to me why or how they believe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,189 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What's this about Santa? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

we just had a god thread. good stuff in there. maybe you should go look at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

What's the difference between God, Jesus Christ, Santa, Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy - they are all fairy tales

I respect the fact that people believe this and am not interfering but just need somone to explain it to me why or how they believe
    Lies make the baby jesus cry.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It comforts some people in life to believe that theres an afterlife and that God etc created them and will help them when times are bad, I'm an atheist myself but if people find believing in God/Religion/church a way to get through life I don't have a problem with that and don't see why non believers have an attitude towards peoples beliefs like that either! Also, Santa/easter bunny etc are good things for kids and I'm sure plenty of atheist parents will celebrate such occasions for their kids minus the religious aspects :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ah, religous angst.

If someone wants to live their life seeking spiritual fulfilment then let them be, what's it to anyone else? I couldn't care less, the GF is into that spiritual babble but that's her choice, not mine. We might as well be asking why do the gays prefer their own genders :pac:

Why the hate for Santa? Makes Xmas all that more special when you're a kid and you don't find it odd that a guy comes down a chimney and leaves you gifts for no apparent reason.................though when you're told he doesn't exist it's like being shot :(

Still, it nice to think of a time when you had a more innocent view of how the world worked *sigh*

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Also, Santa/easter bunny etc are good things for kids and I'm sure plenty of atheist parents will celebrate such occasions for their kids minus the religious aspects :)

Nick

Atheist Parents?

Dude, you DO know that Atheists eat their own babies right?

Saint Nick

is that you?

trying to save yer own bacon i see

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Do we really need yet another thread on this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

It comforts some people in life to believe that theres an afterlife and that God etc created them and will help them when times are bad, I'm an atheist myself but if people find believing in God/Religion/church a way to get through life I don't have a problem with that and don't see why non believers have an attitude towards peoples beliefs like that either! Also, Santa/easter bunny etc are good things for kids and I'm sure plenty of atheist parents will celebrate such occasions for their kids minus the religious aspects :)

Nick

Ahh, I respect their beliefs as well and am not dissing them.
    Personally I don't see a difference between God and Santa / Easter Bunny.

The Parents lie to you for whatever... 10 -12 yrs maybe telling you there is an easter bunny & santa claus yet when you find out there isn't you're expected to continue to believe that there is a God when in reality all the parents have done is anchor the fact that if you don't see any evidence it doesn't exist, simple as that.

Why do people need to believe that there is an afterlife of eternal heaven. They sound to me like heavy drug addicts who are trippin

Basically when you die, you end up in a coffin or fire and the bugs eat your body until you have disappeared back to the earth.

There is no afterlife or soul / heaven or hell or eternal happiness

prinz wrote: »
    Do we really need yet another thread on this? :confused:

What Boards needs is a forum for discussions like this.

Perhaps an Atheism & Agnostisism forum? Perhaps even a Christianity forum?

I know it's a crazy idea but it just might work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im going to guess this wont last to long.

In before the IBTL :rolleyes:

They sound to me like heavy drug addicts who are trippin

Oh no you di-int!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

MrStuffins wrote: »
    What Boards needs is a forum for discussions like this.

Perhaps an Atheism & Agnostisism forum? Perhaps even a Christianity forum?

I know it's a crazy idea but it just might work!

lol, you and your zany ideas..........whatever will you think of next, a Mustard forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Am I the only one who finds the notion of eternal nothingness more comforting than eternal bliss?

The latter would get awful boring after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

OPs cat got ran over, what God would let that happen... :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Atheist Parents?

Dude, you DO know that Atheists eat their own babies right?
    Would totally believe it :D
    is that you?

trying to save yer own bacon i see
    I seriously doubt I'm a Saint :D

The Parents lie to you for whatever... 10 -12 yrs maybe telling you there is an easter bunny & santa claus yet when you find out there isn't you're expected to continue to believe that there is a God when in reality all the parents have done is anchor the fact that if you don't see any evidence it doesn't exist, simple as that.

Why do people need to believe that there is an afterlife of eternal heaven. They sound to me like heavy drug addicts who are trippin

Basically when you die, you end up in a coffin or fire and the bugs eat your body until you have disappeared back to the earth.

Maybe I was lucky my parents didn't lie to me much about it when I was younger, school was another thing though! Forcing you to go to mass/do religion education etc... And it seems the "done thing" to get your child christened even though your not religious at all (and one can see why given how the church have such control over things like schools etc...). But I made my own mind up at a young age, and my parents were cool with it.
    In saying that I'm not totally against religions, and I agree with what your saying God is comparable to Santa, thats how I see it, but if people want to see it differently, let them :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Can I have a religious fanatic explain how to why they believe as I simply can't fanthom this at all.

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last that the church will still be here in say 100 - 200 yrs times within Europe of course.

Less & less people go to church every year apparently and I know of no one from my age / generation that goes to church

Are people with religious beliefs stupid now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Ah come on OP, we get it, we really do. Of course Athesists find believing in god or gods to be absolutely nuts, (I know I do) but at the end of the day can you PROVE there's no god? Like religious people must find athesists nuts. Yeah it's frustrating when people live their lives (or try to get you to) according to a 2 thousand year old book written by an invisable man in the sky, or 1400 year old book or 600 year old book depending on the religion involved but there's no point getting upset about it. Everyone gets to chose what to believe in, while I might think that what they believe in is nuts they still have the right to believe it. As long as no one is shoving it down your throat or making it manditry then you shouldn't let it bug you.

orourkeda wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

He was brilliant the first time at Liverpool. Best striker in the business.

His second coming was a bit of a let down though, but he is still worshipped at Anfield.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

curlzy wrote: »
    Ah come on OP, we get it, we really do. Of course Athesists find believing in god or gods to be absolutely nuts, (I know I do) but at the end of the day can you PROVE there's no god?

I cannot but can you prove that there is a God ? - no

If I told you that I saw a can of coke that was walking down the road and then told you that it exists but prove that it doesn't - you wouldn't be able to

orourkeda wrote: »

well, certain parts of a believers brain are genetically prog

ah f'uck this

yes..yes they are

I cannot but can you prove that there is a God ? - no

If I told you that I saw a can of coke that was walking down the road and then told you that it exists but prove that it doesn't - you wouldn't be able to

But that's my point, no one can prove anything one way or the other. We all have to choose what to believe in or not believe in. That's our right. So my point is: why worry about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

lets see here, OP is:

-between 18-22
    -Probably a college student
    -Previously believed in God in a general sense
    -probably has parents who go to mass, don't force him to go but would prefer if he did
    -Recently read/saw Richard Dawkins on TV
    -Has begun to understand parables as metaphors instead of literal stories
    -recently came to the conclusion that there's probably no God and can't understand how he's the first one to come to this conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Which of the current crop of theories on how man came to be does the OP believe, I wonder. Also, how old will he get before changing his mind and turning up at a church before he dies?

tbh wrote: »
    -between 18-22
    -Probably a college student
    -Previously believed in God in a general sense
    -probably has parents who go to mass, don't force him to go but would prefer if he did
    -Recently read/saw Richard Dawkins on TV
    -Has begun to understand parables as metaphors instead of literal stories
    -recently came to the conclusion that there's probably no God and can't understand how he's the first one to come to this conclusion.

I so LOL'd at the above. Totally describes me a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Yes

When you find out the difference between dissing and not dissing, get back to us, because you seem to be more than a little confused.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

*sigh*

Biggins wrote: »
    *sigh*

*tut tut*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Let people believe what they want as long as your freedom\rights aren't impinged. It might be wrong but people have been wrong about lots of stuff.

Except me, of course.

Advertisement