Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Why does it bother you so much what people believe in?
    Live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I'll have to check this out with the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny rabbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Less & less people go to church every year apparently and I know of no one from my age / generation that goes to church

What are you talking about? Atheists are obviously the persecuted minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I'm agnostic
    but I can see the appeal in religion.

Can't you see the appeal in thinking everything has a reason, there's a master plan for the world, that a divine being is looking out for you, and that when you die you'll go someplace better.

While I personally believe science and logic, If I had the blind faith to follow a religion Id probably be a much happier person.

If it turns out there definitely is a God, thats great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

God rant

Bold - the new caps lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

How Can ANYONE still believe this crap these days.

cos people are stupid/

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

What's the difference between God, Jesus Christ, Santa, Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy - they are all fairy tales

Can I have a religious fanatic explain how to why they believe as I simply can't fanthom this at all.

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last that the church will still be here in say 100 - 200 yrs times within Europe of course.

Less & less people go to church every year apparently and I know of no one from my age / generation that goes to church

I respect the fact that people believe this and am not interfering but just need somone to explain it to me why or how they believe

First off Jesus did actually exist so thats the main way we know hes not a fairy tale and we cant really say for God as no one can really describe God - some say hes a giant man in the sky to others hes a smile on a childs face and others would describe God as some sort of force like karma etc and so we really dont know what god is and so dont know if hes a fairy tale.

People believe for many different reasons some because they believe that there is more to life than just living and dieing and then nothing - others believe because the idea that the universe and all thats in it came to be by pure coincidence or chance is ridiculous and so it must have been created by something - others believe because of personal experiences near death experiences see themselves going to a light with dead relatives waiting for them etc, or if they witnessed an apparition like mary appearing in the sun at knock - Im sure there is more reasons but you get the point.

As for the church they shot themselves in the foot and people are loosing respect for them and turning against them but that is down to human failings and the people in the church becomming corrupt etc and so you can be critical of the church but still believe in a God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last that the church will still be here in say 100 - 200 yrs times within Europe of course.

Can you supply proof of this or are we just supposed have faith? I've certainly seen no evidence that people like you have more brains than people like my parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

What's the difference between God, Jesus Christ, Santa, Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy - they are all fairy tales

Can I have a religious fanatic explain how to why they believe as I simply can't fanthom this at all.

I respect the fact that people believe this and am not interfering but just need somone to explain it to me why or how they believe

This is exactly the kind of militant atheist bull**** that gives atheists a bad name. Why should anyone with religious beliefs HAVE to explain anything to you as to why the believe in it?

would you respond if i DEMANDED you explain why the big bang MUST have created the universe?

Lets not forget a few hundred years ago the respected minds of the day thought if you sailed too far youd fall off the edge of the world and the sun revolved around the earth. Just because the great minds of modern day say that the earth mustve been created by nothing suddenly exploding, doesnt neccesarily mean theyre right.

I couldnt count the number of anti god threads ive seen on here, but i can tell you one thing ive never seen, anyone with a religious belief starting a thread crying how stupid atheism is and demanding atheists explain why the believe in nothing.

Some people beleive in nothing, some people belive in something, get the **** over it. Noone has to explain **** to you, find it out for yourself if youre so smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

This **** has been done to death. Enough already.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

would you respond if i DEMANDED you explain why the big bang MUST have created the universe?

Stephen Hawkings wrote a very good book on the subject if youre interested!!
    Lets not forget a few hundred years ago the respected minds of the day thought if you sailed too far youd fall off the edge of the world and the sun revolved around the earth. Just because the great minds of modern day say that the earth mustve been created by nothing suddenly exploding, doesnt neccesarily mean theyre right.

Lets not forget that church repressed science and persecuted anyone who disagreed with their version of events. Galileo suggested that the earth was actually moving around the sun and then spent the rest of his life under house arrest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So you're right and billions and billions of people down the ages are wrong?

it is not just Christians that believe in God, there are quite a few Jews and Muslims that believe in the concept as well, you then have Hindus and Sikhs who believe in various gods of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

The majority of people don't really believe, we have spent billions on the worlds tallest buildings, CERN, the international space station etc etc, where in the world has any decent amount of money been spent on a basilica, cathedral, monument etc to any god in the last century?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Joke fail. Look up 'difference' and 'in common', then try again.

Ste_D wrote: »
    Lets not forget that church repressed science and persecuted anyone who disagreed with their version of events. Galileo suggested that the earth was actually moving around the sun and then spent the rest of his life under house arrest.

Are we talking about people believing in a "GOD" or are we talking about people following a religion and believing everything they say without question? because these are two very different things but Atheists just seem to put them together for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

it is not just Christians that believe in God, there are quite a few Jews and Muslims that believe in the concept as well, you then have Hindus and Sikhs who believe in various gods of their own.

Any what about the list of gods people believed in before the old testament, the new testament and the Qur'an?

The widespread use of writing is the reason billions people are grouped around these distinct religions, doesn't make them any less a load of crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

stop shouting ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Numbers have nothing to do with it. Facts are not decided by a majority - I would have thought that you of all people would have agreed with that ;)

Saila wrote: »
    stop shouting ffs.

This isnt shouting - THIS IS SHOUTING -AND THIS IS SUPER-SHOUTING

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Des Carter wrote: »
    This isnt shouting - THIS IS SHOUTING -AND THIS IS SUPER-SHOUTING

I can't hear you...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last...

Proof?

To answer the original Q's:

God created the Earth, including mankind. JC was his son. The rest are really Mummy and Daddy.

When early man was losing the run of himself some wise elders thought it'd be a good idea to invent some supreme being along with a value system to keep people on the straight and narrow and to explain the inexplicable. It was a reasonable idea until something better came along, i.e. science.

So, to sum up: God created man; man invented God. Man invented science. Science disproved God. Man became Godless. Man destroyed himself. Woman inherited the Earth.

(With apologies to Michael Crichton)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You seem to be under the impression that there are less stupid people these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Why do you care?
    There is stuff we all cant understand.
    I'm an atheist and i dont care what other people think, and i dont try to understand why they think that way and i certainly dont demand explanations from them.
    In fact i am so atheist i dont believe in Athiests...(only me)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Pherekydes wrote: »
    So, to sum up: God created man; man invented God. Man invented science. Science disproved God. Man became Godless. Man destroyed himself. Woman inherited the Earth.

In reality;

Science created early man, man invented God, man discovered science, science disproved God, man became Godless, Man may or may not destroy himself, if man goes down hes taking woman with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I respect their beliefs

They sound to me like heavy drug addicts who are trippin

That's not a very respectful thing to say!!!

To be honest you sound like a 'newb' to Atheism. Those who start off angry & who don't properly understand nor know how they're truly feeling. You just want to shift the blame and anger onto someone/something else.

I thought I'd give my two cents, before the thread gets closed, as after all as the majority have pointed out 'ahhh not another feckin' anti-religion thread/ see the many others floating around the AH forum!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Agricola wrote: »
    Science created early man...

Pffft, Science is a development of man.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if the OP's getting a lot of exercise, running around like a madman dodging that thunderbolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I think you'll find most religious people's beliefs are either a case habit and never having really thought about it and/or them dodging common sense with mental backflips because they've developed an emotional investment in the bullsh1t promises contained in iron-age folk lore (aka the bible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    I think you'll find most religious people's beliefs are either a case habit and never having really thought about it and/or them dodging common sense with mental backflips because they've developed an emotional investment in the bullsh1t promises contained in iron-age folk lore (aka the bible).

That's right, because no religious beliefs have emerged outside of the Judaeo-Christian Bible.

Advertisement