Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

Robbie Fowler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's nothing that makes you look like a decent person with respectable intellect than bemoaning religion. I don't ever say to somebody that you are stupid to not believe in a God.

Mods these threads have been done to death. Can we keep this stuff to their specific forums please?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

K-9 wrote: »

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

How Can ANYONE still believe this crap these days.

What's the difference between God, Jesus Christ, Santa, Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy - they are all fairy tales

Can I have a religious fanatic explain how to why they believe as I simply can't fanthom this at all.

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last that the church will still be here in say 100 - 200 yrs times within Europe of course.

Less & less people go to church every year apparently and I know of no one from my age / generation that goes to church

I respect the fact that people believe this and am not interfering but just need somone to explain it to me why or how they believe

You see attitudes like this are the reason why I don't like athiesm; not for the belief itself but for the way in which having that belief makes some people think they are some-how more intelligent than those of us with faith or are enititled to mock and belittle us, to be condscending to us and look down their noses at us.

OP you are of course entitled not to believe in God and I for one have no issue with anyone having different beliefs to me. But you seriously need to re-think your attitude. No-one should have to justify themselves to you and you have no right to look down on anyone with faith.

You don't need to understand. You don't need to have anything explained to you. What you need to do is to learn respect and tolerance and come down off the pedestal you have yourself on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Some people believe in things that you don't. Accept it and move on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What's the difference between God, Jesus Christ, Santa, Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy - they are all fairy tales

Can I have a religious fanatic explain how to why they believe as I simply can't fanthom this at all.

Do you think with our generation having more brains than the last that the church will still be here in say 100 - 200 yrs times within Europe of course.

Less & less people go to church every year apparently and I know of no one from my age / generation that goes to church

I respect the fact that people believe this and am not interfering but just need somone to explain it to me why or how they believe

So ask someone in real life? Anyone who tries explaining their beliefs to you on the net is obviously just gonna rub sand in your e-vagina and you'll assure them that you respect their beliefs while calling them a fantatic who is giving the Brother Grimm a strong look this season.

I reckon in real life you might just drum up the manners to maybe listen to what they are telling you.

Maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Ah OP, you've completely enlightened me*

*as to how incredibly tedious and frustrating the new atheist movement seems!

Edit: This thread is improved by the inclusion of binary and hex. Can we just debate using strings of either?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 The Devil.

I'm with the OP on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'll be talking to God once I finish these few beers.

I'll also send Him a link to this thread. He won't be pleased.

@OP - You better watch out, you better not cry.................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

You see attitudes like this are the reason why I don't like athiesm; not for the belief itself but for the way in which having that belief makes some people think they are some-how more intelligent than those of us with faith or are enititled to mock and belittle us, to be condscending to us and look down their noses at us.

OP you are of course entitled not to believe in God and I for one have no issue with anyone having different beliefs to me. But you seriously need to re-think your attitude. No-one should have to justify themselves to you and you have no right to look down on anyone with faith.

You don't need to understand. You don't need to have anything explained to you. What you need to do is to learn respect and tolerance and come down off the pedestal you have yourself on.

Then attitudes like this should be the reason you don't like condescending people that mock and belittle others Audrey, not why you don't like atheism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

prinz wrote: »
    That's right, because no religious beliefs have emerged outside of the Judaeo-Christian Bible.

So's your face!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Satan

... ftw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This kinda stuff is all very banal and adolescent and tiresome at this stage. It really is folks. "Hee hee God is dead you know, cos I just realised, oh yea its all crap. maaaaan that's deep" etc etc, blah bloody blah. It's up there as a philosophical argument with "oh maaaan, maybe it's all an illusion and it's just me and for me, a test maaaaan. No really I create the universe you know." Come back to me when someone has something approaching a theological or philosophical debate. A semblance of informed on both to some degree would be nice. Too much to hope for? Probably, but I have faith in humanity. Well a proportion of it anyway. It gets lesser with every passing day. I envy your Christian types who consider everyone all Gods creatures. I say God if it exists has a pretty crappy door policy on that score.

Bear in mind I'm a died in the wool agnostic and consider strident gnostics* and atheists equally daft. But I gotta say the gnostics often have less guff going on as far as ill informed opinion goes anyway.

*Not in the sense of Christian gnostics in the very slim case some may understand and debate the reference.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

There's your problem. Asking these people to explain their superstitions, I mean if they made any rational sense it wouldnt take "faith" to accept would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Wibbs wrote: »
    This kinda stuff is all very banal and adolescent and tiresome at this stage. It really is folks. "Hee hee God is dead you know, cos I just realised, oh yea its all crap. maaaaan that's deep" etc etc, blah bloody blah. It's up there as a philosophical argument with "oh maaaan, maybe it's all an illusion and it's just me and for me, a test maaaaan. No really I create the universe you know." Come back to me when someone has something approaching a theological or philosophical debate. A semblance of informed on both to some degree would be nice. Too much to hope for? Probably, but I have faith in humanity. Well a proportion of it anyway. It gets lesser with every passing day. I envy your Christian types who consider everyone all Gods creatures. I say God if it exists has a pretty crappy door policy on that score.

Bear in mind I'm a died in the wool agnostic and consider strident gnostics* and atheists equally daft. But I gotta say the gnostics often have less guff going on as far as ill informed opinion goes anyway.

*Not in the sense of Christian gnostics in the very slim case some may understand and debate the reference.

To be honest a lot of us were at the same stage as the OP at one stage, I would assume he's young and still discovering himself. Let him have his moment.

I couldn't give a shìt as long as everyone keeps their beliefs to themselves and don't try and shove them down my throat.

I fùcking hate 6-1 news with SKY+ because of the retarded prayer....FFS in this day and age it shouldn't happen.

Believe in whatever you want to, I don't give a shìt...just don't get in my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Agricola wrote: »
    So the laws of the universe, physics etc are a development of man!

No!

Science is the development of knowledge (of man) by the formation of hypotheses about the world and the testing of these hypotheses by experiment, to give a logical explanation for the natural world. Clearly, science only existed since man started employing its methods.

The laws of the physical universe were in place long before man existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Another god thread with a thousand year question... been solved yet?

I visited Auschwitz at the weekend. I can assure you, there is no God.

strobe wrote: »
    Then attitudes like this should be the reason you don't like condescending people that mock and belittle others Audrey, not why you don't like atheism.

As I already said Strobe, it isn't the belief I have a problem with, it's the attitude it fosters in some people like the OP.

I don't care what anyone believes but there's no need to be insulting and condescending about it.

TheZohan wrote: »
    To be honest a lot of us were at the same stage as the OP at one stage, I would assume he's young and still discovering himself. Let him have his moment.

Firstly let me say I do completely understand what you are saying. Obviously when you are young and learning who you are and what you believe it can traumatic and confusing.

BUT there is absolutly no need for the OP's attitude. Being condescending and belittling won't help him discover himself at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

If there's no God, please, can some rational person please explain to me the ACTUAL origins of everything that went to make up the BIG BANG / whatever the human mind rationalises (through not knowing) to be how we came about??

Where did the substance that created (through whatever mechanism) actually come from ?

And if you can't answer that WITH inalieable proof, is this not just another form of faith then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

tbh wrote: »

this, as far as i'm concerned, is the the post which sums up the entire argument. 2 sentences is all it takes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

fatboypee wrote: »
    Where did the substance that created (through whatever mechanism) actually come from?

Fine, who created God then? Or where did the substance or power that he is come from?

There is alot more evidence for evolution than there is for God....

Oh wait, there is a book written by the Romans that tell us there is a God, oh yea, now i believe.

I dont usually get annoyed by post but for someone to look for 'proof' of evolution when there is no proof of a/any God........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I've been to other camps and came away with the opposite conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Can you elaborate on that? What camps? were they camps where people got tortured and killed?

If there's no God, please, can some rational person please explain to me the ACTUAL origins of everything that went to make up the BIG BANG / whatever the human mind rationalises (through not knowing) to be how we came about??

Where did the substance that created (through whatever mechanism) actually come from ?

And if you can't answer that WITH inalieable proof, is this not just another form of faith then ?

there is reason and logic behind belief in the the big bang, observable facts and traits of the make up of the universe that allows us to form a solid scientific theory as to why the universe behaves the way it does - there is no reason or logic behind faith in a god, no observable facts, nothing whatsoever which can be critically studied (except in psycology). the only 'evidence' of a god is created through myth and superstition and there's evidence and logic behind why, how and for whom religion was created.

can you elaborate please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Why do you assume that there's an answer that can be explained to you?
    If I feed a cat, he doesn't understand where the food came from, and it cannot be explained to him. But it doesn't mean there's not a logical answer that doesn't involve god. Unless I'm god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

This is the fault of humanity, and humanity alone I would have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Guill wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on that? What camps? were they camps where people got tortured and killed?

Yes. Dachau and Terezin (Theresienstadt during the war).
    can you elaborate please?

Why? I took something away from these places that tbh didn't. It's subjective. The senselessness of it all confirmed to me that there must be a better way, and that even in the hell on Earth that people went through there were still incredible examples of humanity and forgiveness and hope.

Advertisement